“Pleasant stay”

Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Front desk staff was pleasant and check-in was fast and simple. We stayed on the Concierge floor and our room was exactly as the pictures on the hotel’s website portrayed and the rooms were clean. Other than at check-in, the only other interaction we had with hotel staff went well. I asked the front desk staff to de-feather our room to which it was promptly done and secondly, we requested extra towels one evening and the towels were delivered to the room in less than 5 minutes.

The breakfast on the Concierge floor was a mix of cereals, eggs, bread and fruit. The hotel staff that was attending the Concierge lounge was very friendly and helpful.

Over all I would definitely stay here again when I’m in the Portsmouth / Norfolk area.

9  Thank Texas-Tiers
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed at the Renaissance Portsmouth with a small group that was traveling together. It had been recommended by coworkers, even tho I see there were some negative comments on cleanliness posted to this site. Easy to make reservation online. Hotel was easy to find, and in fairly nice area of Portsmouth on the water. First pet peeve: the hotel connects to the parking garage and its elevator through an outside walkway. When you enter the hotel from the parking garage, there's nothing to automaticlaly open the heavy double door for you - you need to do it while you're juggling your bags.

When I checked in I gave my name and the front desk clerk asked if I was “T,” which I am not. I replied with MY name, and she began to run my reservation. She was having some problems at one point and called a manager to assist. Had a waterfront view from the 9th floor, lovely king size bed, but was disappointed that my request for extra towels had not been filled. I also needed to turn the air conditioning down to the coldest temperature and the highest fan speed to make the room even comfortably cool. Front desk staff provided us some recommendations of local restaurants for dinner – but unfortunately their recommended eateries were closed on Sundays. We did stop in at a local sports bar (Roger Brown’s) for some very good food, but no local seafood that we wanted.

By the time I woke up the next morning, the bill had been slipped under the door. Had to pack and prepare to leave early for work, but when I picked up the bill and looked at it, was horrified to see another individual’s name and email, and that more than one night was posted to this bill. Called the front desk and an extremely helpful young man (Dion) offered to look into it and correct it. He found my reservation in the system, apologized for the other individuals’ error, and started working immediately to correct it – which he did by the time I was ready to check out.

I’m keeping an eye on my credit card statement to be sure the extra charges (currently pending) don’t post to my card, but found Dion to be the MOST helpful individual from this hotel. For the level of service that Renaissance portrays itself as providing, thought that overall the attention to detail was mediocre at best, and frightening at worst!

1  Thank Disciple77
Ren_Portsmouth, Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Thank you for your honest feedback. It brought to my attention many service gaps that could have been avoided throughout your stay. As a result, your concerns have been used as a training opportunity for our front desk, bellmen/doormen, and housekeeping staff. As for Dion, we will tell him to keep being Dion :) As per our conversation earlier this month, only the correct charges will show up on your statement. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to make things right. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I attended a business meeting at the property and it was supberb. The food, the meeting space and the staff were all outstanding. The view of the harbor was always pretty spectacular as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

On behalf of our outstanding Banquet and Sales staff, I would like to thank you for your kind words about the business experience you had at our hotel. I am also very pleased to hear that you weren't too busy to enjoy the wonderful leisure side of our hotel, the comfy rooms and the great views included. We look forward to hosting you and your associates in the future!!!

Reviewed June 8, 2011

I have never been so dissappointed in a hotel stay.I will never stay at Renaissance Portsmouth again. Our room was not cleaned and we did not receive clean towels. After breakfast I called the front desk to advise them of the problem and they said it would be cleaned that afternoon. Upon returning to hotel at 10pm our room still was not cleaned wet towels and trash in room. Called front desk to complain and received towels. Informed manager at checkout about our displeasure and he said he would have to investigate the issue. As if he didin't believe us. The service was unacceptable and turned us against Marriott Portsmouth, Va.

Room Tip: Ice maker on 9th floor not working
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank bankladyL

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with such honest feedback. Accept our sincere apology from Housekeeping on down to our Front Desk staff for the issues you experienced. Your comments have been shared in our weekly departmental meeting, and will help us improve service to all of our guests. If you have any remaining concerns I encourage you to reach out to me directly and give our hotel the chance to make things right.

Reviewed June 4, 2011

We checked in a supposedly clean room and found pubic hair in bathtub. YUK!!!! We've never experienced this and it was disgusting! On the surface, the room seemed nice and then wham, walked in bathroom and there it was. Called hotel desk and they moved us immediately to another one. That room was dusty, and the floors in the main area of the hotel is dirty. Had to repeatedly ask for a refrigerator. Staff tried to be accommodating.

Stayed here 2 years ago and it was nice. A shame this place has gone down. Will not stay here again and will not recommend it anymore.

Room Tip: Ask for Norfolk's Waterside View.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank calimom92

The principle goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests. Consequently, its disappointing to learn that our service did not live up to your expectations.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated, and will be used to ensure your experience does not happen again. I also wanted to let you know that since your review, we have put refrigerators in all our guest rooms!!

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve again in the future!!

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Pricey hotel, but very nice, clean, friendly, comfortable. Actually all you could ask for. Rooms all look out at the water, so the higher up you are, the better. Not all the vending machines on the floors worked. Had to go to 2 floors down to get a bottle of water. Small convenience store on site, but don't expect to find much there unless you are a guy needing a new pair of tidy-whities (seriously). Parking was free (web site said it was $10 a day, but we were never charged). Very close to the water shuttle stop, so you could cross over to Norfolk where there was a small shopping area with several restuarants. This hotel is in historic Portsmouth and very lovely area. There are several computers in lobby area that are free to use and it appeared there may have been free wifi, though I didn't try it.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor, away from elevators
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise. I am also happy to inform you that through your comments we were able to fix our vending machine and am now in the process of giving our gift shop a major facelift. It's only through the guest’s eyes that we can truly assess the quality of our accommodations. We are glad you enjoyed the surrounding area and look forward to your next visit!!!

Reviewed May 23, 2011

This hotel has something for everyone. It overlooks the Elizabeth river, has a ferry that is relatively inexpensive to ride, and a boardwalk that you can walk along to view the river. The hotel also offer 4 pc's in the lobby for use by guests. This is really great because everyone doesn't have a laptop to travel with. There are also many lounge areas throughout the hotel. All in all, you can't go wrong if you pick this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
jeffcorcoran, Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2011

Thank you for your kind words about your stay at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the view of the Elizabeth River. We are proud of having the best views in the Hampton Roads area. We are also pleased that we could provide the service and amenities that made your visit a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Portsmouth!!!!

Guest Services Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!