“Very Nice Children's Museum”

Children's Museum of Virginia
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Portsmouth
Reviewed December 24, 2011

This is the newly renovated museum that was closed for two years during the renovation.
It costs ten dollars admission fee. It was very nice for my 3 year old. There are some things intended for slightly older children but it is a good balance for a 2-3 year old too. I am not going to go into detail about the exhibits, their webpage should be enough for that. That downtown area is safe. (I was a cop there for 20 years) I would NOT stay in the hotels downtown Portsmouth though specifically not the Super *, Econo Lodge, Comfort Inn Olde Towne, America's Inns and Suites, Quality Inn. I REPEAT DO NOT STAY THERE! DO NOT! Remember I just said I am a retired cop from there? Trust Me! Do NOT stay anywhere in downtown Portsmouth except for the Renaissance (which is pricey)

If you are travelling to the Hampton Roads area (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, Suffolk, Smithfield, etc) it is VERY worth the trip to Portsmouth to attend this children's museum. There is on street parking, but it would probably be easier to use the parking garage at the rear of the museum. The museum faces High Street. The parking garage is one block over on County Street. You enter and pay at a pay station. Price is reasonable. THE MUSEUM IS CLOSED ON MONDAY !!!!
NOTE: THERE ARE ALOT OF SCHOOL TRIPS. MAKE SURE YOU COME AFTER 1PM TO MISS THE HUGE SCHOOL GROUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank pwNma

Reviewed October 26, 2011

My 5 year old son absolutely loved the museum. The staff was very friendly and helpful..

Reviewed September 19, 2011

I was there for a Motor Coach Convention and this Museum one of our stops for my group. From what I understand is that they just completed renovations. The place was simply awesome. It certainly wasn't what I expected. The Museum was colorful, clean, fresh and had A LOT of activities and cool things to see. It was like a big playground but better! I explored every room as like I was 10 years old again. And so did many of the 20 adults that I was with. You just couldn't help to smile. It is a great place to spend some time with the kids. The price was very reasonable for what they have to offer. The staff was friendly and looked like they were proud and enjoyed working there. What a great impression! The area itself is around lots of other things to do in walking distance, food and shopping. So thank you for all your hard work! You did a great job!

Reviewed August 9, 2011

i like how big it is.. the inside was relly nice and so pretty.. it was really fun for the adults and children... i will come back and get my memership...

Reviewed August 5, 2011

My five year old niece had an awesome time here. There were plenty of exhibits to keep her interest. Everything was in good shape and good working order. The whole museum was clean and appeared well maintained. I suspect that I’ll be taking her and her siblings back many times in the future.