“PERFECT FOOD AND SERVICE” 5 of 5 bubbles

River haven
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Port Royal
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“PERFECT FOOD AND SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I am a local and I stop here all the time.To start off, the beer on tap is something different from other places I have been, They are all from the local area which is really nice to try instead of the regular same old tap beers. I love that when I come in the staff remembers who I am, and welcome my boyfriend and I back. The lunch menu is a very good mix of different items. From salads to a outstanding crab melt. Tonight We had gator bites as an app, the sauce that came with them were to die for. I even took some home with me as I usually do. I had the crab cake dinner, I got them fried with a bake potato and the fresh veg which is also from a local farmer. They were VERY good with very little breading which I loved the most about their crab cakes, and at a great price for what I got. My boyfriend got the broiled scallops, for beginners they were huge!! And very tasty. HIs sides were just as good as mine and again the price was right. I got exactly what I paid for. A WONDERFUL meal with great service and a beautiful view!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Emily M

King George, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem that still needs a lil work on waiter service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have been wanting to try this place for awhile. We went last evening.I had the 12oz ribeye steak after all the fat was taken off it was about 6oz.So i don't think it was the best value for your money.Also my wife had ordered the crab soup and it was cold. and it seem like who ever drank water they got refills rightaway we had icetea and had to keep asking the waiter for a refill.so at this point we are unsure if we would return.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DAVE S
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Wow! A hidden gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We have been wanting to try this place for a long time. We went today and it was outstanding. I had twin lobster tails stuffed with lump crabmeat and sides of mashed potatoes and local asparagus. It was so delicious and such a large portion that I brought one home. And the price for this feast? $28.95. It was seriously one of the best seafood meals I've had in a long time. My husband had local catfish and it was also perfect. A nice water view, great service and excellent food!!

1 Thank Mary Lou N
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
“Consistantly great food and great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had initially been drawn to try River Haven after it had been reopened because we loved the view of the water! The food and service was great on that first visit... and we have been back two more additional times and have had the same quality food! I love the fact that the management really goes out of their way to support locals by using fresh veggies from Snead's farm and they were cooks soooo deliciously! And, of course, the service was wonderful. It really is worth the drive from Fredericksburg! (and it totally beats out Tims II for food!)

2 Thank Christine A
King George, VA
“Not fancy, but the best thing around...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Ok, I don't usually give an "excellent" rating, and I always rate them on what they're trying to do, not against some world beater standard. This place is just trying to take local food, do something excellent with it, in a nice, non-pretentious atmosphere. They succeed admirably. If you're on Rt. 301, its worth passing by the McD's of the world (not that I have anything against McD!) to get here. Check the hours, and you might call for a reservation; they can get crowded!
Today, we ordered the catfish sandwich and the crab cake sandwich. Both wonderful and plenty to eat. The fries are probably the best in the area, not to be missed. They bring out both malt vinegar and ketchup, so you've got your choice. The fish was lightly battered and fried to perfection. And I didn't notice any greasy-ness like you sometimes get on fried food! Just delicious. The sauce is remoulade even though they call it tartar sauce. No one up here (we are in the country!) ever heard of remoulade! Comes on a nice roll with crisp greens and some slices of tomato. Its a little off our beaten track to get here, but we will definitely make the effort to get back often.
Oh, and nice view of the Rappahannock River. Right across from Belle Grove where James Madison was born (private residence but soon to open as a B&B).
There's a lot to eat, so plan of getting a carry out box!

• Visited April 2013