All reviewsfire pitother guestswhite dogthe main housescreened in porchmathews countychesapeake bayfishing geargracious hostswonderful weekendgourmet breakfastrelaxing getawayeach morningeast riverbeautiful roomjacuzzi tubmiddle peninsula
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I were in Mathews County, VA for a family wedding - there were no hotels close to the events of the weekend and thought we would try a B&B. Never having stayed at a B&B we were not quite sure what to expect, but we liked The Inn's website and booked a two-night stay. Our hosts, Lori and Greg, far exceeded or expectations and made our stay enjoyable. Their personal touches throughout the weekend, the beautifully decorated room, the wonderful food and the lovely setting have made us anxious to try other B&B's - though our stay at the Inn has set a very high standard!

Room Tip: Our stay was in the "West Billups" Room in the main house. It was exactly as pictured on the web page. I think that all of the rooms are comparable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Highly recommend this B&B in rural Virginia. Went with a group of friends and great time had by all. Rooms were exceptionally clean and each had a unique character. Innkeepers Greg and Lori were friendly and outgoing and shared stories of local history with guests. Food was excellent and fresh. Kudos to Dave (Lori's brother) who checked us in and provided a great tour of the place. Canoeing, fishing and just relaxation are what you can expect. Great chlorine free pool.

Room Tip: Chesapeake suite is the largest and has great water view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had never been to a B&B before; my husband had and wasn't too excited. This was the only one available over a busy holiday weekend, so we took it. What a wonderful place! We took the canoe out (free to the first one who gets it!) and paddled around. Every person at the Inn was a fount of information about where to paddle, what we would see, when to turn around. A glorious beginning. We were directed to a Thai restaurant in the nearby town for dinner, and although it was good, the restaurant food didn't compare to the breakfast we had the next morning. We had a fun conversation with the owners and another couple in the morning after a quick walk. The mattress was comfortable, the room was lovely (the Captain's Room) -- and no squeaky beds!

Room Tip: We had the Captains Room and loved the view of the bay. We didn't see the other rooms, although there were three rooms together outside the main house.
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I took a couple days off from work and stayed at the Inn at Tabbs Creek to get away from everything for a night. Our room was very clean and comfortable, while Lori and Greg served as very gracious hosts. Breakfast was delicious and filling enough that we nearly skipped lunch. The grounds themselves are very well kept, full of things to discover, and include a very calm lake behind the property. The morning of our departure, Greg was kind enough to teach me how to use the stand up paddle boards (something I've wanted to do for a while) and took my wife and I of a tour of the waterways surrounding their property. It was a very refreshing experience and we'll definitely be back some day!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I reserved a room at the last minute as an overnight getaway for my wife's birthday. We arrived in the rain on Sunday late afternoon, and left in the rain Monday morning, but we still thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Inn! As many have said, the home is immaculate, and the hosts, Lori and Greg, and Lori's brother Dave, are very gracious. We stayed in the Captain Billups room, and had great views on three sides, and the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on. We are not big fans of the typical bed and breakfast decor of old stuffy Victorian antiques, or country clutter, and this place had neither. There were some older pieces of furniture, but they were tastefully placed and not cluttering up the interior of the house. The setting was beautiful, right on the water, and we wish we could have gone kayaking, but the rains were too heavy for us. The breakfast was oatmeal pancakes, with boysenberry sauce (berries from their garden), grits, scrambled eggs, homegrown cantaloupe, and Virginia bacon...tasted so good, and the Lori and Greg sat with us and the other guests and filled us in on the interesting history of them coming to own the place.

We loved our first visit to Mathews county, which doesn't even have a traffic light, but is filled with natural beauty. Greg told us there are 21 places to set in a kayak in the county, so we plan on going back when the forecast is better, and do some kayaking! We highly recommend anyone who is looking for a quiet getaway to consider staying with Greg and Lori.