“Beautiful!”

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our daughter wanted us to see this when we went to visit her at Virginia Tech. We chose the more difficult of the two trails. It was very rocky and muddy in spots but not hard to navigate. Some of the rocks move when you step on them, but as long as you're watching your feet it's no big deal. The falls are truly amazing and well worth the trip. I'd say it took us about an hour (and we stopped to take pictures and pet passing dogs). Some people were swimming at the falls but the water is cold. We took the easier path back to the parking lot. Just a word of advice, it's "easier" a flat path with gravel but the hill is still steep and wouldn't be good for someone who has problems walking.

Visited August 2013

Pounding Mill, Virginia
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Worth the drive”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I've been visiting the cascades since the 1970s when in college and today I was proud to take my own children up there to see the falls. The hike is just lovely, the trails are maintained wonderfully and it's two miles up to the falls from the parking area. Just great, every family should go. You can get in and swim at the falls or on the way. Nice restrooms at the parking area. Costs $3 to park.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank tripeeblonde
Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was muddy, but worth the hike. We took a lunch and ate mid way. The view was perfect and we passed so many friendly people. I would think it is a little bit of heaven playing on earth.

Visited June 2013
Blacksburg, VA
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“All season fun”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have hiked the Cascades in the fall, summer and Winter. It is a very pretty hike with two trails up to the falls. The upper trail (which I always take back) is the easier (it is also the med-evac trail when a serious injury happens) but is not as pretty. The lower trail is more challenging (call it a moderate) but is very pretty. Both end at the falls and are worth the price of admission (which is $3/car unless you have a NPS pass. This is Forest Service land but the National Park Pass works also).
It is best if you go in a wet season as the falls can be a mere trickle during a drought. We went, last time, in January (I told my wife, really? You want to go NOW? It's 25F and there's a 20 mph wind!) and caught them half frozen (beautiful and worth the cold).

Visited January 2013
Seymour, Tennessee, United States
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“fantastic day! for those that are able”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We loved the hike to the Cascades. We chose the more adventurous path to the right and loved every minute. The entire hike and playing in the waterfall took about 2 hours round-trip. I did see some folks that had physical limitations struggle a bit during the moderately challenging hike.

Visited June 2013

Been to Cascade Falls? Share your experiences!