“Lack of Anything Seasonal on the Menu”
Review of The Ashby Inn

The Ashby Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Paris B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2009

We went to the Inn for dinner this past weekend based on recos from friends. They were not terribly busy, but the service was a touch slow. No bread was brought to our table, but we saw another table had some, so that was odd. Maybe you had to ask for it? The appetizer was good (carmelized onion & tomato tart w/ goat cheese). I had the special - chicken - which was average, and my husband had a filet, which was good - juicy, cooked perfectly & good flavor. The mashed potatoes for both of us were thin & watery. I had carrot cake for dessert, which was cold & a little hard & dry. My husband ordered the chocolate velvet cake, but they'd run out of it, so he just had icecream, which he said wasn't anything special. Our biggest disappointment was the total lack of anything seasonal on the menu! It's October in the Piedmont for crying out loud! No pork, no apple pie or tart, no sweet potato soup, or pie - you catch my drift.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 25, 2009

We visited The Ashby Inn using a gift certificate given to us by my husband's parents years ago. They had stayed at The Ashby Inn and loved it. Unfortunately, since that time ownership and management have changed. The manager honored our gift certificate as she was obligated to do but could barely conceal her apparent anger towards us for using a gift certificate. She failed to inform the wait staff that our dinner was covered by the gift certificate and then left the premises, creating a very awkward, uncomfortable situation for us and the wait staff. Even though our gift certificate was "all-inclusive" which my in-laws understood to include wine, on the next night, the manager required the waiter to inform us of her decision to charge us for the wine, as she evidently could not bear to have a direct conversation with us (again, putting the waiter and us in an awkward situation). On Sunday morning at breakfast, she went around and chatted with every single table except ours. A very elderly couple was there the same weekend we were--they had stayed at The Ashby Inn a handful of times previously and their dinner reservation was screwed up--they had specifically requested outdoor seating and this request was not honored. The manager refused to apologize and instead explained to them why they got what they got--apalling treatment especially for repeat customers. We had a wonderful hike at the nearby Sky Meadows State Park and the scenery was wonderful. However, we won't be back to The Asbhy Inn!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kenanwy
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My fiance and I traveled 60 miles to have brunch as a sampling of their food to potentially have them cater our wedding. Although we called in advance and noone answered, we did not make a reservation.

We were refused service without a reservation even though there was plenty of room and they were in process of seating another couple who had a reservation. It was disappointing to say the very least and at the most big mistake from a strategic business perspective.

If you do go, make a reservation.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ajdavis555
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Spent one night in the Glascock Room in the Schoolhouse. Schoolhouse has four rooms in total—sort of like a small apartment building. Room was nicely done—typical rural look. Of course, the setting is the draw; not the furnishings. Check-in was relatively straightforward, but the bed and breakfast type experience is always a bit more jumbled. Balcony looks out over the vegetable garden and the scenic countryside beyond. A great place for an anniversary if both of you enjoy quiet tranquility. Apart from a 30-minute drive to Middleburg, there is very little to do nearby.

Had dinner at on-site restaurant and the food and service was excellent. I stress “was” as I have since returned to the restaurant and the service was beyond atrocious—to the point where you think you are the subject of a practical joke. Others (on this site and others) have written that the new owners of the property are the cause of the service downturn and I have no reason to disagree, as our two dinner experiences were polar opposites. Ashby Inn has a good reputation to draw from, so it may survive just fine, but if the new owners are as bad as it seems, hopefully market forces drive them away and a more committed owner brings this property back to its true standards.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank IADbound
Reviewed August 3, 2009

This inn is tucked into a tiny village in the foothills of the mountains. It is quite quaint but yet very comfortable. We stayed in the Fireplace Room. The location is great for Shenandoah National Park as well as local wineries. We visited Barrel Oak Winery nearby. Dining is an epicurean delight. The food prepared by Chef Steven was fantastic.
We ate breakfast and diner both days of our stay. Service was excellent from our server Donna as she attended to our requests with genuine hospitality. Our internet special room rate even added more delight.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2009

40 mins from Dulles Airpoty, this B&B and restaurant is an excellent jumping off point for the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Mountains. The restaurant fare is both adventurous and tasty (we had crab cakes and duck and my partner even managed a delicious bread pudding for a sweet).

We have stayed here before and would definitely recommend it. The port in the room is one more added bonus that we wish more UK B&Bs went for. ;)

The only slight downside was the changes since last year to the breakfasts. Don't get me wrong they are still excellent but last year they had a really good granola and fruit which for those of us avoiding puddings (see above) was a real loss.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2008

For our first anniversary, I took my wife to the Ashby Inn for Labor Day 2008. Upon arrival, we had to look for 15 minutes to find someone who could check us in. There was no sign on the office door, no indication when someone would return, despite check in being between three and five and we arrived at four. Once we found an employee (manager of the restaurant) he seemed confused on how to run the office equipment (more on this later).

While showing us the room, the manager told us breakfast was between 8-10 in the morning. As we started to settle in a room, the manager of the guest rooms came into the building and informed us that the other manager gave us bad information (you would think the restaurant manager would know when breakfast was served) and that breakfast was actually between 8-9:30. No worries we thought and headed into nearby Middleberg. We walked the shop area of town, then returned to the Ashby Inn to get ready for our 8 p.m. dinner reservations at the Inn. We showed up promptly at 8 and were greeted by one of the wait staff. The restaurant manager told the staff member that he would take us to our table. After a few minutes of confusion, including asking us a couple of times for our last name, we were seated outside on a lovely patio overlooking the small valley behind the Inn and were able to watch a great sunset. Our menus were already on the table, so we began making our choices. After 30 minutes, our waiter showed up to take our drink order and said he would get us some bread while we read our menus (nevermind we had already made our decisions, but he left anyway). Fifteen minutes later, I had to stop another wait staff and ask for our bread. Our waiter then showed up with the basket of bread, but still no drinks. He explained that they were looking for the cranberry juice for my drink (cranberry juice and vodka). I said to forget the cranberry juice and just bring me a Reisling like my wife was having. Ten minutes later he returned with my drink. During this time, my wife started asking me if we had done something wrong to make the service so poor. Despite the skeptics whom I'm sure are reading this, we showed up promptly for our reservation and said nothing to anyone besides to place our orders - and we were quite polite in doing so.
For dinner we requested a bottle of zinfindel, which did not arrive for approximately 15 minutes and sat CORKED on the table. We ordered our appetizers and waited approximately 30 minutes for them to show up - savory brie for her and lamp chop lollipops for me. I'm no chef, but with three people waiting on seven tables (six of which had only two people, the seventh had four people), I don't believe it should have taken a total of 90 minutes from arrival to get our appetizers. The food was great, just PAINFULLY SLOW. We had to ask the waiter to uncork the wine so it could breath for dinner.

When the salads arrived (another 20 minutes after our appetizers were finished), the waiter left our appetizer plates on the table, despite us having stacked our forks, knives and plates all together. Again the food tasted great, but shouldn't have taken so long to get to the table. Once the salads were done, we then stacked EVERYTHING together on the table and ten minutes after the salads were done, the waiter finally cleared the table. The final course took another agonizingly long time to arrive - once again the food was wonderful, but from arrival to paying the check was TWO AND A HALF HOURS.

We walked back to our room and eventually went to sleep - only to be awoken by a mystery beeping somewhere in the guest house - a beep that kept repeating every few seconds. I looked for a number to call somemone in maintenance or the manager - no such number. No ability to page anyone after hours. There was one number for the chef who lives in town - no answer. This was 3:30 am. I stepped out of our room and noticed a storage closet next to our room door. I heard the beeping coming from there and opened the door. It was a fire alarm/security control that read "fire alarm tampering, upstairs left side" and "press * to re-set." I pressed "*" and went to bed happy with the find. It didn't last. Thirty minutes later, the beeping started again. I pressed the "*" again, but it only brought a brief respite. Still no answer on the chef's phone. I called the front desk and left a message for the record about the beeping.

Thanks to the beeping, we overslept the breakfast time (stated as 8-10 in the visitor's book in our room - contrary to the times given us by both managers.) We got out of bed and got ready to leave. I walked to the office to check out and found the same circumstance as when we checked in - no one around and no not saying where anyone was. I stepped next door to the restaurant to find someone and found the business manager in the kitchen WASHING DISHES. I still don't understand why the restaurant manager checked us in and the business manager was washing dishes in the kitchen. I explained everything to her (from the looooonnnnggggg dinner to the beeping - it was still beeping when I walked to the office) and she did refund my money for the room and said she will contact me for a gift certificate for the restaurant.

Until they get their office and restaurant staff in order, I would HIGHLY recommend you save your money. We could have had a room in the Mandarin Oriental in DC for the same price of our room at the Ashby Inn and I'm sure IF there was beeping at the Oriental, there would be someone on hand 24/7 to take care of it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank bdaneb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Airlie
Salamander Resort & Spa
Salamander Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Middleburg
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Ashby Inn? Share your experiences!