“A Can't Miss for a Weekend Getaway”
Review of The Ashby Inn

The Ashby Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Paris B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Can't Miss for a Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Ashby was pretty much wonderful in all regards. This is the second TripAdvisor review I've ever written, but I wanted to make sure that the place gets its due recognition. It's the perfect place for a weekend getaway in the woods. It's a small inn, so you really feel like you're in someone's house as a guest. The rooms are pristine and extremely cozy, as is the library downstairs. The grounds are great - we spend a couple hours on our last day just sitting in the yard on the lawn chairs reading, writing, and sketching. It's a very peaceful place and a wonderful escape.

The restaurant is in its own category - incredible food and great service. The breakfast included with the stay was delicious - fresh squeezed orange juice did not go unnoticed. The details in the restaurant are what makes it, like the slight honey taste in the butter and the small biscuits provided at breakfast.

Even the body lotion provided free in the bathroom was of superb quality; to me it's those little things that make the difference in a stay. This is a wonderful place to stay and worth every penny. I recommend taking a short ride into Middleburg to visit some of the shops.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica148
SBStorer, Manager at The Ashby Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We appreciate all of our guests' feedback, and it is always our pleasure to welcome you. I'm happy to hear that from your guestroom to breakfast, you enjoyed everything, and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

The day couldn't have been more perfect, the food, the wine and the weather. I had not been to the Ashby Inn in many years and knew it would be beautiful, but the 5 star food and service far surpassed my expectations. The 3 course brunch menu has something for everyone and the presentation was supurb.I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2014
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was very excited to try this restaurant for Mother's Day brunch. I had heard it was a great brunch destination, and the reviews seemed to support that.

When we arrived I continued to have high hopes as it was a fabulous spring day, and the view from the patio was charming.

The first clue was the apple sodas they served my children which were six months past their expiration date. The second clue was the horrible cocktail posing as a bloody Mary. It was described as seasoned with old bay seasoning and garnished with a caper berry -- sounded good as I like both. But it tasted like plain tomato juice with a few shakes of old bay seasoning, and the glass rim was also dipped in the seasoning. I love Old Bay as a seasoning but the way it was overused was downright unpleasant. It's hard to imagine that the bartender or chef could have tasted that and thought it was good. There was no depth of flavor -- worcestershire, citrus, horseradish. As a minimum, they shouldn't call it a bloody Mary.

The Bloody Mary proved emblematic of the rest of the menu which was trying so hard to be new and different that it forgot it's also supposed to taste good and leave your stomach satisfied.

The Mother's Day Brunch was a 3-course meal for $75/person. That's a respectable price tag even in metro D.C., so I would expect something special for that price in rural Virginia.

My avocado "bouillabaisse" was really just chilled avocado soup with a tablespoon of crab. It tasted good but the soup quantity was tastelessly small -- three ounces at most. Even Parisians eat more than that.

I had the salmon with fennel and ginger as the second course served on quinoa with some kind of flavored "foam". ( All of their dishes had side "foams".) I thought fennel and ginger sounded like an odd combo, and I was right. It left a downright nasty aftertaste in the mouth.

My sons ordered the Johnny cakes which were really just overpriced corn pancakes served with "foam". The quantity was OK but the flavored "foam", again, just didn't complement the rest. And I'm not sure who thought it would be cool to have kernels of corn in the Johnny cake -- again, trying so hard to be different forgot that wouldn't be a pleasant texture for a pancake.

For dessert I had the semi-freddo which was good but about the size of a Halloween (mini) sized Reese's peanut butter cup -- again, almost like a joke. But the "foam" it was served with didn't complement the basil crumbles which were quite nice.

My husband and I are foodies, and often splurge on good meals. But the $399 price tag for Sunday brunch for 4 with two expired sodas and two bad bloody Mary's is impossible to justify.

One more thing...the kitchen got backed up before our second course, so it took extra long. It didn't bother us because it was a beautiful day and we were in no hurry. But it added to the overall not-quite-right experience for the price -- especially since the restaurant was conspicuously not full.

I really wanted to love this place. And, of course, didn't share these thoughts with my husband or the management. Didn't want to spoil the moment.

If you're going for the atmosphere, great. But, unless this Mother's Day was a fluke, I'd say this definitely isn't worth the drive or money for the food.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank 62JohnnyDoe
Vienna, VA
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I had a lovely overnight stay at the Ashby Inn. It is lovely and the views and ground are so pretty. The bed was very comfortable. The food is absolutely amazing! A foodie's idea of divine. Creative, gorgeously presented, fresh and wonderfully delicious. Highly recommended. The wine selections are very nice as well. If the weather is nice, fine on the back porch. It is very beautiful.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We visited The Ashby Inn & Restaurant over the weekend for an early dinner. The food was excellent, so was the service. It doesn't feel like or isn't really meant to be an over the top modern decor, it's simple decor with excellent food cooked from fresh and local ingredients. We tried the pickled beet salad, which was pretty good, for entree we tried the steak and the quail. The quail was excellent, very juicy and tender and the farro served with the quail was delicious. Desert was ok, nothing to exciting, we tried the chai-chocolate fudge and the fuji apple almond cake.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tasyed786
SBStorer, Manager at The Ashby Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for the nice review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your meal, from the beets to the quail. We hope you are able to come back and see us in the spring and summer, as we are hoping to expand our menu and add some different, more exciting desserts!
McLean, VA
Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you love history and rolling countryside views, this is a wonderful overnight destination. My husband I spent the night the day after Valentines Day at the Inn. It was very nice. We stayed in the Fan Room. Our room was spacious, yet cozy with a lovely view of the snow covered hills to the west. The Inn dates to 1829 so you need to keep that in mind if you plan to stay. I love older buildings. It's fun to imagine who may have stayed or eaten in times past. Historical characters, the likes of George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette to Stonewall Jackson and John Singleton Mosby all either stayed at the Inn or passed through the tiny village of Paris.

The library with fireplace got a little crowded with 5 people -- seating only for 6, so we had a pre-dinner drink in the bar area down below. That's the oldest room in the Inn and quite interesting.

Dinner was very enjoyable. The menu was not extensive, but well planned with several delicious options. I requested an appetizer salad that wasn't on the menu and was not disappointed. We shared bites off each other's entree's -- Steak for me, mustard encrusted lamb for my husband. Both wonderfully flavorful. I am gluten free, so I got my own menu. There were a couple of errors on the gluten free menu -- two of the dessert options that looked quite delicious turned out to be on my menu in error. I had a variation of one of the non gf options and was quite satisfied. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating.

Pricing is within "norms" for the DC Metro area. Dinner for two with wine and pre-dinner cocktails and dessert ran $227 + tip. The room was $225 and included a very nice eggs Benedict breakfast the next morning with coffee and fresh juice -- easily a $40+ breakfast in DC.

We will definitely go again - probably in the Spring. Just remember, the Inn is older and historic and set your expectations accordingly -- and enjoy the ambiance you just can't find in a modern building.

Room Tip: The Fan Room - More privacy than rooms directly accessible from the Inn lobby, it has a separate ent...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gokathymac
Berryville, Virginia
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Last Valentine's I wanted to take my girlfriend here, and it was already booked, so I scheduled in advance this year.

Be prepared for an intense experience of flavors, delightful pottery, and pleasant professional staff. The entree was certainly our favorite, I got the Parmesan encrusted loin of lamb and my date got the eye of the eye of the rib-eye. We carnivorously devoured our meats and tried each others. The flavors were intense and rich. The cuts were perfect and cooked perfectly. I felt like I was a sated zombie when I was done. The champagne put us in the mood. Then came time for desert and things took a twist. As I trustingly ordered the blue cheese infused cheese cake, my girlfriend looked at me inquisitively. I was the first evidently to order this, and thus the guinea pig. One bite sent me over the edge, and the waitresses came rushing over once they saw my black and blue cheesecake face. She immediately offered a different desert. We saw two others turn theirs in as well. The bill was steep, but priced appropriately for the fine dining.

On the ride home, my Valentine saw my face again and new I needed to vomit. She pulled over and as we left I looked back at my five star dinner all chunky and discolored in the snow.

Will we be back? Maybe when the dead rise again.

Honestly, the food was incredible and rich, they simply need to do something about that blue cheese cheese cake.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danceprometheus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Airlie
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
#1 of 8 in Middleburg
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Ashby Inn? Share your experiences!