“Charming Inn; Showing its Age” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ashby Inn

The Ashby Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Paris B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Charming Inn; Showing its Age”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We recently stayed in The New England room at The Ashby Inn. Upon entering the Inn, Silvie greeted us warmly, efficiently checked us in and brought us to our room. Note that the staircase to the second floor of the Inn, where the New England room is located, has fairly narrow steps, so physically challenged individuals may have difficulty ascending/descending. The room is quaint with a four-poster Queen bed. The bed itself sits high so be careful getting out of it-- may be a bit of a challenge for some at night-- and has an extremely firm mattress. The en-suite bath is fairly small, although adequate, and we needed to place our toiletry cases outside the bathroom due to lack of storage space. We also found that we needed to turn on the hot water faucet and let it run for several minutes before enjoying hot water. The room's old armoire was a throwback to the past and it's bath-towel filled content was most welcomed. We were a bit surprised that we found it difficult to secure the door to the room as it was warped. This may be typical for Inn's of this age. It should, nonetheless, be repaired. Although the room had no television, the Inn did offer WiFi service. This old, historical Inn is charming, situated in a picturesque location--and is a stark contrast to today's luxury hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Foodie4Certain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

For our anniversary, my husband and I treated ourselves to a night at the Inn and dinner at the restaurant. The Inn is located in a bucolic area of Virginia. The town of Paris is more like a neighborhood in the country, rather than a town since there are few commercial establishments, e.g., no coffee shop. Quiet and beautiful. The Inn is lovely. Our room was in the former attic and had a private bath down the hall. The bed was super comfortable and gets points for having layers of covers rather than a down comforter, which is much too hot for me. There were 2 reading chairs and good reading lights. Plus, there was a sink in the room. The only negative, and one that was important to me, was that during the night the heat seemed to switch into high gear. In response I turned the thermostat down but to no avail; it was difficult to get back to sleep at 2:00 am because of the stifling heat. The restaurant was fine but not spectacular. Expect small portions, which are all right with me. Our main dishes -- tagliatelle with pumpkin sage sauce for me and beef for my husband -- were just average. I tasted none of the sage in my dish and my husband said the beef was a bit tough. I probably wouldn't return to the Ashby Inn because it seemed expensive for the value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I spent a night at the Inn to check out their restaurant before their chef (Tarver at the time) changed jobs. We booked a room on the second floor of the school house building. It was large and had a porch overlooking rolling hills. Before dinner, we took a nice walk along the quiet country roads around the Inn. The dinner was great - creative food and fine service. Breakfast the next morning was also quite good. We look forward to seeing how things have changed with their new chef. The room was fine, but there are a couple of design features we did not like. It had some high windows without curtains. You can expect an early wake up from the sun on a summer morning. The room also involved a couple of steps down from the bedroom to the area that had the bathroom. We will try a different room on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chevy Chase, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were fortunate to stay in the schoolhouse - large room, large bathroom, screened porch overlooking countryside. Our meal was disappointing. We thought portions small especially compared to prices. When I ordered lobster poached in butter ($38) I expected more than one small tail which was lost on my over-sized plate - and this year lobsters have been inexpensive to buy in markets! I was still hungry after eating 2 courses. The chef also has a very heavy hand with salt, ruining fresh chanterelles, and crispy potatoes.
The breakfast choices were much better than we anticipated though beware those over-salted crispy potatoes!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Elayne S
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night over the weekend for my birthday. It was a nice quiet getaway from the hectic Northern Virginia/DC area. We did a hike at the nearby Sky Meadows State Park and had a quick check-in to the Ashby Inn.
We had a room on the top floor, which was ready with some nice port wine to sample and help us get settled in and relaxed. Comfortable after-shower robes available in the room, and a fantastic view of some meadows where cows were grazing. Dinner was great--we each got an appetizer and entree, and shared a dessert. Service was on point and breakfast, included in the stay, was delicious. The bed was so warm and comfortable--I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to enjoy the bed. I have a king size tempurpedic at home and have found it hard to get comfortable sleeping anywhere else--I usually end up tossing and turning for awhile when I'm not at home. But the queen bed, pillows and blankets were all very warm and comfortable and I slept like a baby and didn't want to get up the next morning. My husband too was pleasantly surprised.
The only slightly bothersome thing was that the doors were a bit difficult to lock--my husband struggled a bit with it and I think the room across from us did too--we heard the door slam open and shut a couple times early in the stay as they too tried to get used to locking the door--such is the charm of these older houses...lots of character and quirks. As a suggestion, the library could use a larger selection of reading material. Maybe some magazines or other short stories that are suitable for folks staying only a night or 2. I saw a couple thick classic novels which I didn't bother to pick up since I knew I wasn't going to make much headway only staying one night.
I'd highly recommend this place to others, and already have to a few coworkers. Scenic hiking trails nearby, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, vineyards/wineries nearby, and delicious dinner and breakfast options. About an hour's drive from the beltway area but from how relaxing it is, you'd think you'd traveled much further away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sweet P
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

When I need a break from northern Virginia I head here for a fantastic French meal made from food grown and raised locally. In the spring and fall we cook up a fire in the fireplace in the room and read in the wing back chairs. We love to stay in the school house. Don't tell too many people or I won't be able to get a reservation. Service in all aspects is first class. Sweet little town. Nothing to do but be. But wineries around and hiking close if so inclined. Very romantic.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Karen J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The inn had been recommended by a friend who had stayed there once a year for many years as an annual anniversary treat. I can see why.

The food is amazing, served in a gorgeous garden patio. Superb, discreet service, wonderful suggestions and wine pairings.

We chose the Lafayette room for its view and quiet location away from the main house, which is pretty quiet itself.

Will definitely return.

C

Room Tip: The Lafayette room has an amazing view over rolling hills and the garden of inn, which was full of b...