The Ashby Inn
Salamander Resort & Spa(Middleburg)
$450
$69
QualityInn
$56
$60
Front Royal Motel(Front Royal)(Great Value!)
$49
$72
$66
Royal Inn Motel(Front Royal)
$58
$54
$100
All reviewsrolling hillshoney buttergorgeous roomport winevirginia countrysidefour poster bedlibrary downstairsnext morningsmall deckextensive wine listvegetable gardenbreakfast choicestop floormodern amenitiescouple of nightsbed was very comfortablestayed one night
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were fortunate to stay in the schoolhouse - large room, large bathroom, screened porch overlooking countryside. Our meal was disappointing. We thought portions small especially compared to prices. When I ordered lobster poached in butter ($38) I expected more than one small tail which was lost on my over-sized plate - and this year lobsters have been inexpensive to buy in markets! I was still hungry after eating 2 courses. The chef also has a very heavy hand with salt, ruining fresh chanterelles, and crispy potatoes.
The breakfast choices were much better than we anticipated though beware those over-salted crispy potatoes!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Elayne S
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night over the weekend for my birthday. It was a nice quiet getaway from the hectic Northern Virginia/DC area. We did a hike at the nearby Sky Meadows State Park and had a quick check-in to the Ashby Inn.
We had a room on the top floor, which was ready with some nice port wine to sample and help us get settled in and relaxed. Comfortable after-shower robes available in the room, and a fantastic view of some meadows where cows were grazing. Dinner was great--we each got an appetizer and entree, and shared a dessert. Service was on point and breakfast, included in the stay, was delicious. The bed was so warm and comfortable--I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to enjoy the bed. I have a king size tempurpedic at home and have found it hard to get comfortable sleeping anywhere else--I usually end up tossing and turning for awhile when I'm not at home. But the queen bed, pillows and blankets were all very warm and comfortable and I slept like a baby and didn't want to get up the next morning. My husband too was pleasantly surprised.
The only slightly bothersome thing was that the doors were a bit difficult to lock--my husband struggled a bit with it and I think the room across from us did too--we heard the door slam open and shut a couple times early in the stay as they too tried to get used to locking the door--such is the charm of these older houses...lots of character and quirks. As a suggestion, the library could use a larger selection of reading material. Maybe some magazines or other short stories that are suitable for folks staying only a night or 2. I saw a couple thick classic novels which I didn't bother to pick up since I knew I wasn't going to make much headway only staying one night.
I'd highly recommend this place to others, and already have to a few coworkers. Scenic hiking trails nearby, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, vineyards/wineries nearby, and delicious dinner and breakfast options. About an hour's drive from the beltway area but from how relaxing it is, you'd think you'd traveled much further away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sweet P
Reviewed August 5, 2013

When I need a break from northern Virginia I head here for a fantastic French meal made from food grown and raised locally. In the spring and fall we cook up a fire in the fireplace in the room and read in the wing back chairs. We love to stay in the school house. Don't tell too many people or I won't be able to get a reservation. Service in all aspects is first class. Sweet little town. Nothing to do but be. But wineries around and hiking close if so inclined. Very romantic.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Karen J
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The inn had been recommended by a friend who had stayed there once a year for many years as an annual anniversary treat. I can see why.

The food is amazing, served in a gorgeous garden patio. Superb, discreet service, wonderful suggestions and wine pairings.

We chose the Lafayette room for its view and quiet location away from the main house, which is pretty quiet itself.

Will definitely return.

C

Room Tip: The Lafayette room has an amazing view over rolling hills and the garden of inn, which was full of butterflies in July when we visited.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dublin-DC
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was looking for a place with an intent to leave behind the stresses of work, politics, international upheaval and my kids. The Ashby Inn is the place to go. Rooms are comfortable, some without tv, though internet is available. We chose no phone, no tv, no internet. What a delight! The cuisine is beyond good. Just excellent. The drinks, the wine, the atmosphere is sublime. Service worthy of more than a 20 percent tip. The breakfasts, included, were excellent. Do this place!

Room Tip: Try the school house rooms/suites.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple