“Good choice for BOI”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waitangi
Nelson, New Zealand
“Good choice for BOI”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel is in a nice location, and has many amenities. Outdoor spa in faux rock pool is nice. Room was good size and in good condition. The tea kettle was a bit grungy and we ask for and received another one. Booking in advance was a good deal compared with other motels, B&Bs, or campgrounds. Sure it was a bit more expensive, but with all the benefits it was well worth it to us. So good for a couple days in the area. If staying longer then a bach would likely be better and more economical.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tina A, Front Office Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thanks for your review. It is great to read we were able to contribute to a satisfactory holiday. Our staff work hard to try and rectify any discrepancies immidiately and I am glad to hear we could solve any issues that arose during your stay. If you choose to stay longer, we offer discounted rates for 3 nights or longer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Auckland
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Nice gardens, pool and reception area but the room was very disappointing.

We got a great deal and were looking forward to staying at the resort expecting a four star experience.

The room was really cold with no air conditioning or heating available apart from a blow/fan heater from the 70's attached to the wall which was ridiculously loud. Would hate to think what it would be like in the middle of winter! There was no mini bar or no Sky TV and the decor is in desperate need of an upgrade. Small things, but they are what I would expect at a 4 star resort.

The pool and spa area was nice with a great outlook to the water. The location was a little way from the shops and restaurants in Paihai but loads of parking and right next to the boat ramp. They also run a shuttle to town during certain hours.

Not sure what the superior rooms or the seaview rooms are like, but if I was to stay again I definitely wouldn't want to stay in one the standard rooms!

Room Tip: Don't stay in a standard room they are below average
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback on your stay. It is great to hear you made use of some of our facilities including the natural-rock pool and our complimentary courtesy shuttle.
I am sorry that not all aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction. I believe some of the amenities in the room were not communicated to you correctly and have addressed this with the staff. We do offer minibar items on request. We also have selected Sky Channels. Do not hesitate to contact our reception staff if those are not functioning correctly. We would like to offer you a more satisfactory experience if you choose to stay again.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The hotel is very well positioned, with fine views looking over the bay. The dinner on both nights was good. The internet access is expensive (as with many hotels in NZ). The front of house manager was very helpful and sought to redress the problems with internet access.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to hear you were able to enjoy our stunning views and take in the beautiful scenery around us. We are currently looking at different options for the internet prices and your feedback is invaluable in this process. You comments about dinner have been passed on to the chefs who will be delighted to hear that our new menu is successful. We hope to welcome you back for another visit in the near future.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Have been staying here as a business traveller monthly for 6 years and for short breaks for over 10 years. Have seen very little change, decor needs major facelift and the service levels have deteriorated. Overall this is not a 4 star property based on amenities available and overall standard. Where is the air con in the rooms?

The meals are expensive with the standard and quality not reflective of this.

The location is amazing but let down by the tired and run down state of the buildings and decor. It cannot be classed as a "resort".

The pool area is fantastic and makes the setting quite unique and special!

First impressions are made in the frontline and a friendly smile goes a long way.

Sorry but I will not be returning

• Stayed April 2014
Thanks so much for your feedback. We value that you have provided us with your insights as regular traveller and take your comments seriously. We are in the process of updating our maintenance schedule to keep our rooms fresh. My apologies the service did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be utilised in training sessions. We hope you choose to stay again so we can offer you a more satisfactory experience.
Cheshire
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed three nights. The room was comfortable and quiet with a balcony overlooking the garden. The service was a little impersonal and the hotel seemed to be used by a lot of tours. The location was lovely and very close to the Treaty Grounds. The walk to the town was beautiful.
The internet access was very expensive.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I am glad to read you had a comfortable stay. I am sorry not all aspects met your expectations, in particular the service and internet. Your feedback will help to improve our facilities to meet our guest's expecations. We are currently looking at different pricing options for the internet and your review will be influential in this process. I have addressed the service issues with my staff. We look forward to offering you a better experience if you choose to visit us again.
USA
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I booked a superior seaview room with double bed over Easter using their website. Upon arrival, I was told that I was given a room with three single beds which they thought would be acceptable for me as I had only indicated one guest (default guest number on website is one). I provided a phone number which is a USA number and tried to enter a '+'. The website instructed me to only use Roman letters??? and so I had to drop the '+'. When asked why they did not call me to check that the new room would be acceptable to me (and my wife) , I was told the number did not work. I had used my USA address so it should have been easy to connect to me on my mobile.

I was told that they would give me the last available room facing the harbour but it was not ready. I got to the lobby at 3pm and was given access to my room at 4:45pm. I have attached photos of what the hallway looked like at 5pm

The room is next to the exit which would not normally be too bad if the walls were not paper thin. The neighbouring room's conversation was in our room. The narrow corridors were a natual playground for young kids at 06:45 which is only an issue because of the paper thin walls.

Worst of all, upon a friend's insistence, I cancelled a decent large and comfortable room in Whangarei to get this room . The room is small (+- 175 sf) and the bathroom is very compact (see photo).

My booking for supposedly one person included breakfast at a cost of $45 which make breakfasts in NYC seem very reasonable!!! As many have indicated, the internet seems expensive compared to the hotels in Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Christchurch, Hobart, Port Douglas, Queenstown, ... that I used in the past five weeks. We paid $50 for my wife and I to use the internet.

The room seemed small, around 180sf including the bathroom. The bed was comfortable. The room was reasonably clean.

The front office manager tried to assist us but she seemed helpless with no resources. She said she had reduced my rate for the inconvenience; I found out that the rate had been reduced to the rack rate that the hotel charges for the replacement room.

It is fairly far from the main strip of Paihia, I estimate a 20 minute walk.

This hotel does not deliver. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
1 Thank hickorypete

Travelers are raving about these Waitangi hotels

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Did not live up to our expectations. Rooms were not ready for check in,many people had to wait for there rooms. When making reservations for dinner we were told that full menu will not be available, only buffet.defenitely not whatI expect when paying top dollars.

• Stayed April 2014
I apologise that your stay was not to your fullest satisfaction. We are aiming to provide our guests with the best possible accommodation and service. We have already discussed how we can use our resources better to guarantee all guests a timely check-in also during busy days. I am sorry you have not been informed about the dinner offerings. We usually choose between our A la Carte service and buffet depending on what will provide the best service for our guests. My apologies if this was not communicated to you correctly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitangi
Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands
Duke of Marlborough Hotel
The Waterfront Suites - Heritage Collection
Paihia Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands? Share your experiences!