“Awesome stay!”

Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waitangi
Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a great night away with the kids. Everyone had fun! The spa was fabulous and the cold pools even in mid-winter temps. A tour around the treaty grounds was fun and educational with activities for the kids.
Breakfast which was included in the winter warmer special was just great - a big highlight for all.
As far as service - nothing was a problem! We will be back.

Room Tip: anywhere would be fine. For us central to the car and spa was a good thing!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rawkosdesign
MeaganVJ, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Delighted that you and the kids enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return.

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Ok where to start ;). Reception staff was friendly and helpful upon a check in. Great with pointing directions and answering questions. Hotel itself is quite dated and screaming for renovation. We not snobs so it was ok, bed was big and comfortable, view out of the room is breathtaking but you can't really enjoy it unless you have room on level 2. Reason being lack of privacy once blinds are open, install a tulle maybe?

Why I rate this hotel only 1 out of 5? There was a party going on the hotel premises from 6pm to 3am, with music, loud talks, people gigling and making lots of noise. It is OK if we would stay in backpackers but for the hotel where we paid 150 per night it is not acceptable. Not really a relaxing environment as such. A call to a reception didn't make any difference, as a mystery "security guy" who was send to investigate, probably joined the party. We travelled all over the world and never came across a lack of response from the hotel staff regarding the noise control. Poor, extremely poor! Next morning no one followed up with us, no one appologised for inconvenience caused. Is that the kind of service everyone should expect from Copthorne Bay of Islands? I hope someone will read this review before buying a voucher to stay with you guys!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for the noise and assure you that the hotel is not usually that noisy. Yes, we did have a conference in and we had a number of noise complaints that night. We have spoken to the organiser of the conference and she has apologised on behalf of her group. The night porter spent most of his evening trying to get guests to keep the noise level down, and our Night Manager also went to a number of rooms. We do try our best to ensure our guests are aware of other guests in the hotel, but sometimes we do not win. I assure you the night porter would not have "joined in the party".

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I booked this place after looking at many of the places in the area. Very glad I did. We had a superior sea view double room and it was great - actually had a huge King size bed.. Longish walk to the room but that's fine (needed the exercise with all the eating we had been doing !). Granted the place was not very busy this time of year but we did have people in the rooms next to us and you could hear anything. Our room was on the first floor, as requested, and had a nice little balcony. I think if you are booking one of these rooms first floor is the go, especially during the busier periods if you like some more privacy. I thought the fit out of the room was fine, and am puzzled with some of the dated comments in other reviews.

We didn't eat dinner there, but the full breakfast was very good, plenty of variety on the buffet and the ordered eggs etc were spot on. When we return to the area this will be my first choice.

Room Tip: First floor room if you like a more private balcony, ground floor room if you want to just step out...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mosanator
MeaganVJ, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Hope to see you back in the not too distant future!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

After reading a few of the previous reviews prior to our trip I did not expect much. I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was amazing!! Clean, warm, huge comfortable bed, big flat screen tv, and best of all the most amazing sea view from bed!! The room had its own balcony and it was so peaceful to sit out there. We used the heated outdoor spa pool and loved the experience of a rock pool with palm trees and a beautiful view. The buffet breakfast was fantastic and had a great selection. All in all this holiday was something we would definately do again. Highly Recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 727 and any of the neighbouring rooms would be just as good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debs M

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and made the most of your holiday! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My parents were celebrating their birthdays so I treated them to two nights at the Copthorne Hotel, Paihia. They absolutely loved their stay! All the staff were very friendly and could not do enough to make their stay perfect. Their room was on the beachfront and the views were magnificent. The room was very clean and warm. The restaurant food was divine, and the breakfast buffet was amazing. Thank you Copthorne Paihia for looking after my parents so well and making their stay PERFECT!! They will be returning!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Charmaine A

It is our pleasure. I can only hoe that next time you return with them.

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had an occasion in the past couple of days to be booked into this hotel when on business. While greeted warmly by reception I could not believe the coldness in my room. Upon opening the door.I found that there was only one panel heater which was totally inadequate for the size of the room on what was a fairly cold day in the ''winter-less north'' Although a small fan heater was offered on my voicing a complaint the room was in my view totally uninhabitable! I therefore departed never to return in the winter months. The absence of central heating or heat pumps makes me think that this hotel has little interest in the comfort levels of it customers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank barry m
MeaganVJ, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

I apologise that you feel we have no interest in the comfort levels of our customers. I agree that your room was cold, however, the little fan heaters are rather effective until the wall heater kicks in. I do understand your concern though.
We hope to have you back in summer.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This resort is tired, no question.

But, everything is clean and tidy and the service is pretty good.

Best of all is the location. It's sensational. Views over the water, adjacent to the treaty grounds, it can't be beaten, and most of the rooms boast fantastic views with many have balconies.

Despite a need for a well deserved make over, it does have all of the conveniences you would expect from a hotel/resort.

Stayed during the off season so the rates were very good. Not sure of peak season tariffs.

All in all, would stay here again and happy to recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Brendon L
MeaganVJ, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to inform you that over our winter months we are moving full steam ahead in refreshing the property. We look forward to your return.

Rooms Division Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitangi
Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands
The Waterfront Suites - Heritage Collection
Edgewater Palms Apartments
Duke of Marlborough Hotel

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands? Share your experiences!