“Everything but the room was impressive!”

Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waitangi
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Loved the location - so quiet and picturesque! Beautiful views, especially the pool and hot spa area - unbeatable! Service of staff was wonderful. Only the room was more on the average side. The bathroom door didn't shut completely, toilet didn't flush properly, the bedside lamp wasn't working. I guess you just can't have it all. We made the most of it and really enjoyed our stay - can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a waterfront view overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,128)

Reviewed June 6, 2011

This time we had a lovely room, still an old TV though but good colour and reception. The view was on the the garden side, sun in the afternoon, birds everywhere and no wind at all. Breakfast was still great. Have to say reception and dining staff seemed to be still a little bit vacant in the knowledge department when asking for information and an in room dining menu. Got a blank look from both and the wrong menu. Nothing to get upset about though and we have already booked our next time off to come here. Thanks guys.

• Stayed: June 2011
SPBoyle, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Regards,
Meagan van Jaarsveld
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed May 29, 2011

Had a great time here dont know what all the complaints are about. only bother was a hoard of rowdy indian doctors from the uk who seemed to never leave the foyer and their kids where running like animals around the place annoying the staff. I actually comend the staff for not losing it as i probably would have. Apart from that i found the staff extremely helpful and pleasant. Excellent service. Nice warm spa pull and garden setting. immaculate lawns and right next to the treaty grounds. Great water views from the rooms what more can i say. Oh yeah the only other thing that could do with attention is get those hireage bikes maintained, I almost killed myself going up that hill and the chain got stuck. overall ka pai would stay again

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Attended a conference at this Hotel. Rooms very tired especially carpet, bathrooms.
Restaurant service food - very good. Prices- realistic.
Front Desk, wake-up service - extremely poor. Asked for an 0500 call - never happened.
Fortuantely, woke up at 0530, so just make my transfer. On check-out, found the call had been booked for the following day !!
Room service - pathetic in quality/value. Do not use if the restaurant has closed.
Good sized rooms, great views, well serviced

Room Tip: Ask for the 200 block
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

I do apologise for you not receiving your wake up call and assure you that this is not our usual standard of service.
I thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Meagan van Jaarsveld
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We loved our stay-the staff were all exceptionally friendly and professional. Great facilities too. We felt very spoilt.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I have never experienced such poor service from a hotel before or been confronted with staff that are openly racist, unprofessional and rude.

I travelled with a large group of Indian doctors from the UK, the minute we arrived we were greeted with hostility and poor service. Not to mention that on arrival the staff screwed up our rooms, which meant we were waiting for 2 hours until they could figure out their mistakes and not one person was kind enough to apologise.

During our stay, my father shower was broken, the duty manager said he would sort the problem and never did. it was only till the next day when my father piped up the general manager did the duty manager address this problem. Consequently my father went for a whole evening and morning without a shower.

Next, we ordered a spoon to our room as the spoons that accompany our tea mugs were absent, the rude person at the end of the phone told us that we would have to pay $3 for such a request! I have never experienced such poor or rude service in my life. When we reported this to the manager he himself was very disturbed to hear this.

At dinner the front of house staff, were very rude, and were openly laughing at all the indians. They made sure that they were seated in the worst seats in the restaurant and we ask to move they would reluctantly agree even though there were many other tables to choose from. They were shameless about doing so, which was even more disturbing. The food was below average and again nobody attended to our table, I had to ask three times before I could order my drinks! However, I was watching the staff and they were very polite and pleasing to the guests that were non asian.

Afte complaining to the manager who gave us a free stay, we hoped the service would improve. The same front of house woman, who was laughing at indians and speaking to them as if they were second class citizens, later told me to my face that 'my people were no good' when I complained to her about her behaviour. A person that can make such a comment and lose her cool should not be employed to work in the hotel industry.

As a result my 'relaxing stay' was instead a horrible experience and I advised any Indians to choose somewhere else to stay if you want to be treated with the respect and dignity you deserve.

Its a real shame as it has made my family and I, who travel the world frequently, feel hostile towards NZ.

Room Tip: not great
  • Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank lovestravel71186338
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Stayed only one night. The room was clean and just what we expected. Staff were friendly and helpful. Had dinner on site as well which was good. Being the Easter holidays the hotel was full, however they had adequate staff to cater to everyone. Wish we had stayed longer

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitangi
Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands
The Waterfront Suites - Heritage Collection
Duke of Marlborough Hotel
Edgewater Palms Apartments

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands? Share your experiences!