“Iconic location and a nice spa pool”

Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waitangi
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Had a great time here dont know what all the complaints are about. only bother was a hoard of rowdy indian doctors from the uk who seemed to never leave the foyer and their kids where running like animals around the place annoying the staff. I actually comend the staff for not losing it as i probably would have. Apart from that i found the staff extremely helpful and pleasant. Excellent service. Nice warm spa pull and garden setting. immaculate lawns and right next to the treaty grounds. Great water views from the rooms what more can i say. Oh yeah the only other thing that could do with attention is get those hireage bikes maintained, I almost killed myself going up that hill and the chain got stuck. overall ka pai would stay again

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands

Reviewed May 22, 2011

Attended a conference at this Hotel. Rooms very tired especially carpet, bathrooms.
Restaurant service food - very good. Prices- realistic.
Front Desk, wake-up service - extremely poor. Asked for an 0500 call - never happened.
Fortuantely, woke up at 0530, so just make my transfer. On check-out, found the call had been booked for the following day !!
Room service - pathetic in quality/value. Do not use if the restaurant has closed.
Good sized rooms, great views, well serviced

Room Tip: Ask for the 200 block
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
SPBoyle, Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

I do apologise for you not receiving your wake up call and assure you that this is not our usual standard of service.
I thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Meagan van Jaarsveld
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We loved our stay-the staff were all exceptionally friendly and professional. Great facilities too. We felt very spoilt.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I have never experienced such poor service from a hotel before or been confronted with staff that are openly racist, unprofessional and rude.

I travelled with a large group of Indian doctors from the UK, the minute we arrived we were greeted with hostility and poor service. Not to mention that on arrival the staff screwed up our rooms, which meant we were waiting for 2 hours until they could figure out their mistakes and not one person was kind enough to apologise.

During our stay, my father shower was broken, the duty manager said he would sort the problem and never did. it was only till the next day when my father piped up the general manager did the duty manager address this problem. Consequently my father went for a whole evening and morning without a shower.

Next, we ordered a spoon to our room as the spoons that accompany our tea mugs were absent, the rude person at the end of the phone told us that we would have to pay $3 for such a request! I have never experienced such poor or rude service in my life. When we reported this to the manager he himself was very disturbed to hear this.

At dinner the front of house staff, were very rude, and were openly laughing at all the indians. They made sure that they were seated in the worst seats in the restaurant and we ask to move they would reluctantly agree even though there were many other tables to choose from. They were shameless about doing so, which was even more disturbing. The food was below average and again nobody attended to our table, I had to ask three times before I could order my drinks! However, I was watching the staff and they were very polite and pleasing to the guests that were non asian.

Afte complaining to the manager who gave us a free stay, we hoped the service would improve. The same front of house woman, who was laughing at indians and speaking to them as if they were second class citizens, later told me to my face that 'my people were no good' when I complained to her about her behaviour. A person that can make such a comment and lose her cool should not be employed to work in the hotel industry.

As a result my 'relaxing stay' was instead a horrible experience and I advised any Indians to choose somewhere else to stay if you want to be treated with the respect and dignity you deserve.

Its a real shame as it has made my family and I, who travel the world frequently, feel hostile towards NZ.

Room Tip: not great
  • Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank lovestravel71186338
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Stayed only one night. The room was clean and just what we expected. Staff were friendly and helpful. Had dinner on site as well which was good. Being the Easter holidays the hotel was full, however they had adequate staff to cater to everyone. Wish we had stayed longer

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Only stayed one night, but from what we saw and experienced we were happy. Hotel room was pleasant, we had a super king bed so sleep quality was great, we had a waterview room with a conservatory and shared deck, the bathroom was fine but I wouldnt exactly say it was a "highlight" of the room. Hotel has tennis courts and pools, didnt have time for tennis unfortunately but after staying here we will definately go back for an extended holiday as this area of the country is fantastic. This would be a great place for a family holiday.

Husband had the buffet dinner and I had A La Carte, which was very good. We had absolutely no problems with the staff, who were all very curteous and helpful.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a Seaview room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Just a shame the hotel looks so tired. We asked for a room upgrade and were so disappointed. When we commented on it we were told it was their best wing, I thought the man was on drugs! It had an old small crt tv, the table was all chipped, there was that white 3M sticky tape stuck all along the top of the windows, god knows what that was for? And the tiniest balcony. The room was claustraphobic & no air conditioning. Now having said that we have stayed there about 4 times now and this was the worst room we have had. The breakfasts are great especially the bacon. Dinner was nice. Service is great and rooms are very clean.

We will still come back as we love Paihia and have been told the wing we stayed in is being refurbished this year.......yay!

• Stayed: March 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitangi
Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
The Waterfront Suites - Heritage Collection
Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands
Duke of Marlborough Hotel
Paihia Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands? Share your experiences!