“A genuine experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ngawha Spa - CLOSED

Ngawha Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Ngawha Spa (formerly Ginns Ngawha Spa) is closed until further notice. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A genuine experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

I have been blessed to visit the Waiwera springs regularly for three years now and it is just such a treat. Yes, it is basic and it is most definitely not going to appeal to those of you who want a synthetic spa experience. The pools vary from day to day in temperature, depending on the weather. They also vary in mineral composition, and it is reputed that they have differing healing powers. They are not clear water, the sides and floor of the pools are board, and you need to take serious care getting in and out.
The changing rooms are functional and there is no shower - but frankly you should be keeping that good stuff on you for as long as you can and not showering it off :) Do heed advice about taking your stuff with you, and take some water to drink as none is available.
I am glad to hear that the Iwi intends to keep this place as it is, and affordable for the locals. Such a lot would be lost in tarting it up for the tourists, I for one think that it is one of the most special places I know. If you want a fancier place, with less authentic character, then simply go elsewhere. I say this nicely, of course we all like different things:)

Visited December 2013
3 Thank Sarah_Pallett

Gatineau, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't miss it :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

The look of it is not inviting... the smell is even wrost... but don't let your senses stop you from experiencing the Ngawha hot springs. We had a great time relaxing in the pools and playing in the mud.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Happy_Caro
Christchurch, New Zealand
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Cheap and Cheerful - Great Experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My daughter and I visited the thermal pools in the winter rain. Although the facilities are basic, the pools were wonderful to just sit and soak in. A chart at the office lists the names of the pools and their temperatures so that you can choose the degree of heat you can tolerate. We managed all of them except the one called Doctor, which was so hot, we couldn't bear it. It must have been about 50 degrees Celsius. Baby and Bulldog were my favorites, with temperatures running at about 43 - 45 degrees C.

We were advised to take our valuables with us, along with all our clothes, towels, etc. This was the only hassle. Lockers would have been handy, but there were none. Changing rooms were available but the cubicles were dark and narrow.

Because it was raining, there weren't many folks about. We enjoyed ourselves and laughed when we were told there were no showers and that we had to hose down with a garden hose "round the back". We wanted to wash off the sulphur smell so off we went for a blitzkrieg wash by garden hose. To my great astonishment, this cold baptism regulated my body temperature and immediately gave me a feeling of comfortable warmth which stayed with me for hours.

My sterling silver ring turned jet black in the pools, and I thought I had ruined it. Thankfully, the guy who managed the pools reassured me that a simple soak in silver cleaner or even cleaning detergent, would restore it to its normal shine. It did! I was so thankful!

We will happily visit the Ngawha Hot Pools again, next time we are in Kaikohe.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank SkyeWanderer777
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Modestly priced, unspoiled, rustic hot springs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ngawha is a very small country settlement with hot springs and its not too far from Kaikohe. This attraction is like stepping back in time - simple, modestly priced, quaint and unpretentious.
We visited on a damp Sunday afternoon after a long cycle ride. The puddles outside the Spring's entrance were gently bubbling!! The staff on duty at the springs were welcoming, and we were charged $5pp.. If we had held a community card or gold card it would have been even cheaper. The individual pools (and there were lots), were small in size with room for about four adults in each and there was a great choice of cold, warmish, hot and very very hot pools. It was fun going from hot to cold and from hot to very hot. The pools were uncrowded and the hour or so we spent there so relaxing. Head up to the far north and visit these springs. You won't be disappointed.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Denise D
Te Awamutu
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Like going back in time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Found Ginns Ngawha Spa on the map and stayed the night in the powered campervan site.
$10 per night per pp and $5 pp for the hot pools.
The whole place has that run down feel and looks like it hasn't changed much over the years.
Not touristy or overrun with hords of people. Plenty of pools to choose from with varying temperatures from a cool 30 to a scalding 42.
Basic changing sheds with toilets and cold showers. Don't wear your jewellery in the pools.
Has that sulphry smell that you get with hot pools.

Visited April 2013