“Lovely new place to eat in Kerikeri”

Chang Siam Thai Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 39 Restaurants in Kerikeri
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Chang Siam Thai Restaurant is set in beautiful countryside in Kerikeri and is just a few minutes walk from the 'world famous in Kerikeri' Rainbow Falls. The Head Chef grew up cooking with his mum in Thailand and he and his Thai team create the most delicious authentic Thai cuisine. The chefs blend authentic Thai flavours to create sensational dishes and offer a “chef’s special” menu, which is immensely popular. There is an extensive vegetarian section and also Thai dishes for young adults. The extensive wine list is professionally matched to Thai food and is competitively priced. Lunches, takeaway and dinners available every day except Tuesday.Service is a top priority for the whole team and the restaurant has already become widely known for both its outstanding food and attentive (but not intrusive) staff. The whole atmosphere is enhanced by a pleasant décor, live jazz music on Friday nights.
Kerikeri, New Zealand
“Lovely new place to eat in Kerikeri”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

As locals, it's always very exciting when a new restaurant opens. Especially if it's one that serves one of my very favourite foods!
Our first visit to Chang Siam was 2 days after it opened and we went for lunch. We were incredibly disappointed. My meal had quite a lot of the ingredients missing and all in all our meals were rather bland. The service was lovely, but everyone was obviously just learning the ropes and there were a few teething problems! The till didn't work and our bill was added up wrongly. However, we were well aware that they had only just opened and were more than willing to try again. I'm glad we did! Our second visit was in June and this time they got everything right. I had the same meal so I could compare it and this time it was as it should be - all the listed ingredients were there - and for that it tasted a whole lot better! Husband also loved his meal - especially the salmon sashimi starter he had. This time the service was still just as lovely, and everything was right. I felt the portion sizes were good.
We have also had a take away - on an incredibly busy Saturday night. They got everything spot on and on time. I would say that even though mine was delicious, again it was missing some of the toppings - however maybe they don't do them on the takeaway dishes?
We're definitely converts now, and will be regular diners. It's great to have somewhere like this to go and have a brilliant Thai meal in Kerikeri.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank bobadoodle

Kerikeri, New Zealand
“A little bit of SE Asia some to Kerikeri”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Eating at Asian restaurants outside of Auckland in New Zealand has always been a tricky bet. On the whole, New Zealanders have conservatives taste when it comes to the rich spices that you associate with South-East Asian dishes. The richness of coriander and hot mint in a Pho Bo from Vietnam, and the ‘hit in the mouth’ sensation of chili and Thai eggplant smoothed with coconut milk in Thai curries seem to be a little too exotic for the average Kiwi, so when a Thai restaurant opens in Kerikeri with broad claims to be ‘authentic’ we – as a couple of regular travellers to SE Asia, had high hopes indeed.

We’ve now been there twice in the handful of months since it opened, both times sticking to mostly ‘classic’ dishes so we could use experiences at other restaurants (and Thailand itself) as yardsticks.

I have to say that whilst I enjoyed the food overall, compromises for local tastes have been made. The dish sizes were typically on the small side. Now that’s OK by me – normally the intensity of taste means that its role as an accompaniment to rice works well. But we found the taste universally mild (we asked for hot) and found ourselves running out long before the rice had been eaten. I suspect locals used to generous portions would be disappointed. A duck dish we ordered on both occasions was brimming with meat on one, but almost missing in action on the other. Thankfully the Tom Yum soup made me break out in a sweat – a good sign – but even that lacked the zing I’ve come to expect.

As I write this, it’s still early days for Chang Siam and we look forward to trying their Thai ‘Tapas’ idea early one evening. The staff were attentive but obviously still learning the ropes, and I understand the owner went to much trouble to bring a team from Thailand to establish the place. We wish them every luck, but please try and be a little bolder/adventurous. I think the citizens (and visitors) of Kerikeri can handle it. If you are hankering for Thai tastes, then this is a good option from travelling 3.5 hours to Auckland.

• Visited May 2012