“Most sublime sauces ever!”
Review of The Italians - CLOSED

The Italians
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Italian owned and operated, the chef is from the Emilia Romagna region, where the Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, Parma (prosciutto) ham and fresh pasta was invented. Specialized in North Italian cuisine with seafood, steaks, pasta, chicken, pork and vegetarian dishes. Everything is cooked fresh from scratch a' la' carte. Pizza available too. Fully licenced and BYOW. Gluten and dairy free options available
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My friend (who is a veggie) and I visited this restaurant and WOW! My friend was impressed by having a whole host of veggie options and I got no further than the specials menu.
The food blew us both away, whilst I had the chicken Lucia (inspired by the owner's mother) which was a mellow but tasty sauce, my friend's veggie crepe and sauce was unbelievable!
We chatted with the owner/chef Cesar and he was informative and clearly passionate about food which was great to see.
We will definitely be returning! (Even though we live Auckland)
We recommended immediately to other friends to visit.
Ambience great, staff very pleasant and friendly, Cesar knockout.
Thanks :)

1  Thank rainbow_blondieNZ

Reviewed January 19, 2014

While there are many good fish and chip shops in New Zealand, good Italian and Mexican restaurants are few and far between (actually, any authentic Italian or Mexican restaurants are few and far between, and until today, I haven't eaten at any good Italian or Mexican restaurants in New Zealand). Therefore, since I really love Italian food, whenever I see an Italian restaurant in NZ, it catches my eye. I'm glad this one caught my eye, as it is on the main road in Kerikeri.

The Italians has wonderful food and the flavors of the sauces on the mains are great.

They bake bread fresh for you, so if you want to have some fresh bread, expect to wait an extra 20 minutes longer for it to cook before your meals get ordered. The bread smelled great, but we had 2 small children with us, so we couldn't stay that long; if you don't have small kids with you and/or aren't in a rush, I'm sure it would be very delicious.

This restaurant has many wonderful options for everyone, including vegetarians (another rare thing in NZ). In addition, they are very happy to have children at the restaurant. The owners are dog lovers too, so for me, that's always a bonus (which means nothing about the food, just about the personalities of the owners).

I had a delicious vegetarian crepe with a wonderful creamy sauce. I was worried it would be a tiny meal, as crepes can vary in size, but this was a very sizable portion! I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of flavors. My husband had a seafood pasta; he loved it and was really impressed with the size (extremely large) and the quality (very fresh) of the seafood. My kids shared a delicious Hawaiian pizza. One kid pizza was more than enough for a 4 and a 1 year old; they ate the leftovers the next day too. I think my kids eating all their food speaks well of the food flavors, as kids can be picky eaters at restaurants!

On the downside, because I'm American, I do think the meals are a little on the pricey side ($20-$40 for a main and fresh bread is about $11; they do have days with specials where the bread is included). That being said, I think 95% of places in NZ are expensive (expect to pay Aspen Colorado or Hawaii prices in this country at restaurants and grocery stores). However, if you are a Kiwi, I'm pretty sure you would think they have average prices.

One other downside is that they do not have a parking lot or any parking on the street, so you have to park in the grocery store parking lot across the street. It's not that big of a deal though.

Overall, I highly recommend The Italian! It was the best Italian food I have had at a restaurant in NZ in the 7 years I've been in the country. The next time I am in Kerikeri, we will definitely eat there again!

Thanks for the wonderful meal Italians!

1  Thank mtngirl38
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We loved this place. We were walk-ins and it was busy but they found a table for us. We eat a lot of Italian food and this was great. Loved it.

2  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Love this restaurant and always took my clients there. My husband who is very fussy with food thoroughly enjoyed his meal. it was an authentic Italian meal and lovely atmosphere. Will go there again and again.

1  Thank 523lync
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I am lucky enough to be writing another rave review of The Italians, Italian restaurant in beautiful Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
I could't resist seeing if this little gem lived up to my delicious memories and I am so happy I gave it the opportunity as it surpassed them; I'm still licking my lips as I write!
Of the four of us girls, three of us had the special Thursday pasta $25 deal which also included freshly baked bread and a beer of wine, what a bargain! I had the chef's favourite recipe of him Mamma, Lucia, a decadent but delicate chicken, marscapone penne which melted in the mouth. As usual I had to doggy bag some but all for the greater good of saving myself for Cesare's famous, homemade Liquorice gelato with a generous splosh of Sambuca, yummy!
Cesare was ever present out on the restaurant floor as were the good natured young waitresses. The restraurant was even busier than last time and had extra seating in the garden out front.
All in all a perfect evening! Bella!

1  Thank Funkypastalaydee