“The place to go if you want great tasting food even if you have food allergies. Fantastic!”
Review of Wakelin House - CLOSED

Wakelin House
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Having recently been advised to change to a dairy/gluten free diet I thought my eating out days were over! Chef at Wakelin House was not concerned by my diet requests and i ate like a queen. A wonderful 6 course degustation meal for my Wedding anniversary. What a great restaurant...we are so lucky to live so close by. Thank you for a lovely yummy meal.

1  Thank NZSaffy

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Visited Wakelin House on a very busy Saturday night. Luckely we booked, otherwise there was no table left. Menus and our choice of wine arrived swift. The amuse was a tomato consomme. Very tasty and tingling on the palate.
For starters we had the crab with asparagus and the scallops with puree and parsnip chips. Both a picture on the plate and very fresh and seasonal.
Our mains were the fish of the day, salmon and veal with mushrooms. The salmon cooked sous vide to perfection and the veal was melting in the mouth. Combination with the seasonal vegetables was superb. Here is a superchef at work!
For dessert we both had the chocolate mousse with candied walnuts and hokey pokey. Crunchy and rich and creamy.
A great evening out with food I will not forget in a long time!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

The atmosphere here was lovely, probably the only disappointing aspect in the middle of the June storm, was the lack of a fire. There were heat pumps so it wasn't cold but lacked a little ambience. The candles on the table were a lovely touch even though they were battery operated. The entrees and mains were not large but were delicious, particularly the Venison. The cheeseboard had a great selection of very nice cheeses and crackers. The staff were fantastic. The lady who served our table was very friendly and chatty without being overly so, just enough to make us feel welcome. We were also acknowledged by the chef on our way in and our way out, a great touch. Would go back again for a special occasion.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went to Wakelin House to celebrate a special anniversary and were hugely impressed by the beautiful food; a great menu and the highest standards of cooking and presentation. It was definitely a gourmet dining experience from the Michelin-trained chef and we'll be recommending it to our friends and planning a return visit.

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited Wakelin after spending a weekend in martinborough. With high expectations I was impressed. Good service , nice food and friendly staff. My wife had the vegetarian tart and I ha the duck. I will be back again. Recommended.