“Chch boy”
Review of Turkey Red

Turkey Red
Ranked #15 of 20 Restaurants in Greytown
Reviewed August 30, 2013

All you'd except and more from a nice wee country pub , nice food and an awesome garden area , I'll be back

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were staying at next door motel and thought this was so handy.Okay we hadn't booked but only 5 of us and it was 6.30pm so thought all ok.We were told there was an 1 1/2 hr wait as they were expecting lots of diners that had booked.Fair enough as we hadn't booked so we ordered easy meals and went through to bar for a drink to wait.Yes our table and food was ready after that time.On going through to dining room we were surprised to see only 3 other tables dining.Busy???Wouldn't knoiw the meaning of the word.Staff seemed reluctant to even be there.Food was average and we only ordered pizzas.How hard is that?Very disappointing.

1  Thank Staffydog55
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed overnight on a Saturday and had dinner in the hotel. The accommodation was very shabby with not very clean shared facilities - no ensuite toilet/bathrooms. There was no TV except for Sky Sport in the bar. Our room was tiny - more a single size, despite having a double bed - and the bed was very uncomfortable. Music from the bar below our room was extremely loud, although it thankfully stopped before we went to bed. Dinner was bad. The $28 steak was small and over-cooked, served with fries that tasted like fish and chip shop leftovers re-heated. It was served without salad or vegetables. The fruit crumble was doughy, short on fruit and lacked flavour. We will not be going back!

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Twelve of us booked in for dinner one Saturday last month. We were very disappointed.
I have booked in for dinner at Turkey Red three times in the past year. I live about 2 hours drive away so the fact that I have eaten here, and bought friends and family with me each time indicates that I have enjoyed it in the past and did not in any way expect the awful experience we had.

The place was nearly empty so we had a waitress, Kirsty, all to ourselves. She was really nice at first although she was unfamiliar with the menu and had to go to the kitchen to find out what the soup was, we then had to explain to her what 'borsch is'.

The meals arrived in the time it took me to have a cigarette outside. Fast. Too fast. One friend had already returned her steak to the kitchen to be cooked well done, as requested. It was still pink when bought back out the second time. She reluctantly sent it back a second time, as she could not bring herself to eat it. The third time it came back it was actually burnt black on one side. She was uncharacteristically outraged, and refused to eat anything.

Meanwhile two other friends sent back cold roast pork belly, the vegetable side dishes were cold and undercooked. The chef refused to mash potatoes without milk for one of the girls who is lactose intolerant. The risotto was overly salty. The best review came from the lamb shanks, which were 'ok'.
I returned my wineglass which had a lipstick mark on it, was shown the cabinet where I could replace it for myself but the rest weren't much better.

The waitress was clearly frustrated with us but blamed the chef, who she informed us was new. She actually (jokingly, but pretty unprofessionally) said she would beat him up for us?!?

We did actually try to discuss this experience with the owner/manager but she couldn't really be bothered either, the waitress told her we had been awful all night and had to be called back to apologize.

I was almost ashamed to have recommended the place to my friends. It was like eating at Fawlty Towers without the humour. We will certainly book ahead at Salut or Cuckoo next time.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

New menu - new chief - this is what i call dining out!!! Food is delicious, service nice and quick, stuff friendly and welcoming. Beautiful dishes we had this night!!! Lam and beef was our favourite!!!

Great prices also!