“Garden Studio - average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The White Swan

The White Swan
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greytown
Wellington, New Zealand
“Garden Studio - average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was our second stay at the White Swan - and we enjoyed our time there. Staff were welcoming and helpful. The heater had been put on ahead of our arrival so we appreciated walking into a warm room on a cool overcast afternoon. We were upstairs in a Garden Studio, well appointed with a comfortable bed. A couple of maintenance issues for Garden Studio 3 - there is no shelf in the bathroom and so nowhere to put things (the brackets for the shelf that was once there are sitting empty). One of the lights was hanging out of the ceiling. Small things but we expected better. While I'm on the negatives - there was considerable noise of running water when our downstairs neighbors showered late at night (presumably they endured the same when we showered in the morning?). Very good dinner and breakfast. On reflection I can only give an "average" for the room which is disappointing.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Masterton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

A group friends joined us for a week-end in Greytown. We stayed at the White Swan Hotel and our room was one of the Garden Apartments. The apartment was great, plenty of space, lovely living room overlooking the restful park with a patio area. Separate bedroom and comfortable bed. Management and staff were friendly, always with a smile and nothing was a problem. Food was tasty, well presented and enjoyed by all...highly recommend the Lamb Shank....mouth watering!!!The location of the Hotel is perfect handy to everything. A most enjoyable week-end thanks White Swan we will return!!!

Room Tip: LOved the space of the apartment
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Palmerston North, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at The White Swan, each time in the White Room. We prefer this room because it faces the back and thus has less road noise. We used a Treat Me voucher. The room is beautifully appointed, with attractive "in theme" furniture, and is huge. It has a lovely bathroom with a bath and shower. The tea and coffee making facilities are skillfully hidden within a large cupboard. There is a new decent sized (? 32 inch) TV with a few channels.
We had a lovely dinner in the restaurant. I wish I could get the recipe for the Celeriac soup, it was absolutely delicious, stunning. My wife had the pate and it was also good. Both the steak and the fish were great as mains and the pecan tart and boysenberry crumble were also good. Breakfast in the morning was also good. Eggs Benedict in front of the fire with a good cup of coffee.
The only reason this is not a five star rating is that they have have ash trays on the verandah tables. I hate walking into or out of a place through smoke, and one selfish person can ruin it for everyone else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I spent a night in the George Room at the White Swan last week. We took advantage of their midweek package - suite, champagne on arrive and 3 course dinner. It was all marvellous. The suite was much bigger than it looked in the photos on line. The main room, with balcony, was huge and absolutely beautifully furnished with antiques. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was also huge with bath, separate shower box etc. As it is an old restored building, it had a lovely olde worlde feel to it but still had all the modern amenities. The dining room is very elegant and the food was great. The staff, including the manager, were very polite but slightly casual, but again, this is a country town, so guess we can't expect suits and ties etc. All in all, a great stay, will return, and can recommend to others passing through the lovey Wairarapa district.

Room Tip: The George Room overlooked the main street, i.e. Highway 2, and as we slept with the window open on...
Kapiti
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Greytown consists largely of a shortish main street lined with shops that offer a range of items of dubious value (at best), at ridiculously inflated prices, to passers-through of the kind who have more money than good sense. The White Swan fits in very well with this overall theme.

My wife and I had been gifted an overnight stay with meal deal which had been purchased at a discount on the treatme site. I notice (now) that the advert for this deal says that it includes "your choice of deluxe suite". We were not given any such choice, but were instead led straight away to the Bombay Suite. This smallish room had a large picture of the Taj Mahal, a slightly tacky 4-poster bed, a couple of chairs and an old-style CRT TV in the corner. It enjoyed a view of the carpark and the studio apartments out the back. The ambience was completed by the incessant rattle and rumble of an air-conditioning fan from the floor below.

Someone really should tell them that LV Martin offers to recycle old TVs for a token fee, and that new flat-screen TVs are really not very costly these days. Also, a desk of some kind is helpful for those of us who like to write or use our laptops. And speaking of laptops, twenty bucks for 24 hours of WIFI usage is a joke. Five bucks for a single hour is an insult. Luckily, these days most smart-phones can be used as hotspots!

After having checked in, we immediately left to go walking and driving around the local area - anything rather than spending more time than necessary in that slightly claustrophobic and somewhat boring room.

The meal was not too bad if you like quite rich, distinctly European styles of cuisine. I had an entree of scallops, which were slightly over-cooked and rubbery, but still tasty enough. My wife enjoyed a chicken liver pate with onion marmalade, and I have to admit that the small taste I had of this offered a depth of flavour that is never found in the more industrial versions of pate.

For mains, my wife had a porcini mushroom risotto. While we both agreed that the hint of truffle oil offered some depth of flavour, the overall plate was a little one-dimensional - lacking any fresh elements (other than a slight garnish of watercress) to offset the richness. The same was true of the twice-cooked pork belly I was served. The poached figs and cider jus augmented the intrinsic richness of this dish, but there was nothing to provide contrast for the palate. Worse than this (particularly given the $33.50 listed price for this item), the skin was not light and bubbly, as should be the case with properly-cooked pork belly, but tough and chewy. Yuck.

After all that richness, neither or us felt up to eating dessert.

So, overall, we were somewhat less than impressed. As a $199 deal, I guess it was pretty good value, and I couldn't really complain at that price. If, however, we had paid the standard cost of the same stay at over $400, I would have probably felt somewhat aggrieved. It simply isn't worth that kind of money.

Room Tip: If you do decide to do the $199 Treatme deal, make sure you check out the various rooms on their web...
2 Thank simon w
Palmerston North Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Have just spent the night on a Grabone special and it was fabulous. We had the White room which was huge, has a great bathroom with a seperate bath. The place was spotless. We had a wonderful 3 course dinner, I even ate food I don't usually like. Had pre dinner drinks on the verandah in the sun,the staff were great, the only negative was the noisy fridge unit outside our room when the windows were open. Would recommend a night there.

Weliington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed for one night in the Madison Suite. Friends and family had said "Don't stay there unless you get this suite." The Madison is one of the larger suites in this small boutique hotel where each room has a different theme. Advertised as New York style it didn't quite cut the mustard. The bed was lovely and comfortable. As was the large leather settee and chair, but the furniture seemed to be swamped by the huge room. The old style box TV is one of my husband's pet peeves in hotel rooms - flat screens are so cheap now why hasn't everyone upgraded? I loved the separate bath in the large bathroom. I liked that you could step out of the hotel and have a drink on the verandah (it was bustling on this late summer evening). But the view from the 'premier room' was, in part, over some sort of auto-electrical business. I didn't want to sit on the private verandah and watch some guy working on machinery. The food in the restaurant for dinner was nice but not outstanding. Didn't like how we were given a 'table d'hôtel" menu - my husband would have preferred the fish and chips he saw someone eating - it wasn't on the menu we were given. Service was slow - 90 minutes to serve us 2 courses. We retreated to our rooms with dessert. My husband loved the breakfast. Have to say the waiting staff were fantastic - one woman who served us at dinner and breakfast was just lovely. All in all a mixed bag. Probably not worth the $399 (dinner, bed, breakfast and bubbles) price tag.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greytown
The Martinborough Hotel
Greyfriars Motel
Greyfriars Motel
#1 of 6 in Greytown
The Claremont Motel & Apartments

Been to The White Swan? Share your experiences!