“Attentive, speedy and intimate ”
Review of Tirohana Estate

Tirohana Estate
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the boutique vineyard to the hills beyond, enjoy lunch or dinner in this atmospheric and elegant setting complete with original New Zealand artwork and evocative music. A roaring fire in the winter and doors thrown open to the warm breeze in the warmer months, a sunny terrace and outdoor seating. Large groups and corporate clients welcome by arrangement. Seasonal menus utilising the best of the local produce with an emphasis on organic and sustainable produce. Special diets catered for.
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We recently attended Tirohana estate for an evening meal and has their five course set menu. Toby was there to meet us at the door and he and his colleague were attentive throughout the meal without being intrusive. The meal was good and wine also, we would absolutely go again and recommend to all.

There are newer reviews for Tirohana Estate

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had a very friendly personal welcome - quite outstanding. The salmon fishcakes were nice. My husband's meat was a bit over cooked. The pork belly was ok but not outstanding. I just had a small quibble. I ordered the knickerbocker glory as it had rhubarb in it. I was very disappointed to find that the rhubarb had a lot apple and very little rhubarb. As I had given the restaurant a small list of diet requirements, including no apple, I checked with the waiter. A message back from the chief assured us there was no apple but my husband and I swear there was apple... and very little rhubarb. My husband's dessert was disappointing too. Baked cheesecake with a thick base that didn't seem to go well with it However I am often disappointed with desserts at restaurants so don't know why I bother ordering them. I think the service was quite good but we had a novice waitress. She was nice but I got a bit tired of her response "not a problem" to everything. I always think this sounds a bit negative as it has the word "problem" in the phrase. Something more up beat and positive like "certainly" or "sure" or even "ok" sounds a lot better. The other slightly odd thing was that the novice waitress and another waitress kept filling our water glasses every 5 mins (well it seemed like it) but I am sure that was just glitch with new staff on the night. Hence to be honest I have to put the service at average but I expect it would normally be very good.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

No effort was spared by Toby to make the occasion unforgettable.
The meal, wine and background music were excellent and the attention to detail impeccable.
When making the booking the enquiry by Toby as to whether it was a special occasion resulted in an unexpected individual birthday cake for the guest of honour.
Would not hesitate to to recommend Tirohana Estate restaurant to anyone looking for an attractive venue and fine food.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

After reading all of the reviews I booked this for my husband's birthday. Our B&B hosts drove us to the Tirohana Estate and one of the staff drove us back to you B&B. This extra was well above our expectations of service. We were were warmly and enthusiastically greeted at the door and offered a welcome drink. Our table was ready and perfectly located. The setting was lovely,not noisy. Service was faultless, immediate but not hovering. The wine was memorable and the high point of the meal. This was suggested by the Maitre D'. Dinner was good but did not live up to many of the reviews. The beef fillet was over cooked and not as tender as it should have been. The waitstaff never asked how we preferred it..rare, medium etc... A waitstaff asked how our meal was and when we mentioned the over cooked beef then asked if 'we were happy to carry on'. We were well into the dinner at this point. The garlic mash with the lamb shank was hard. The lamb shank flavor was not rich and the sauce thin. The broccoli was cooked perfectly. Desserts were ok. A waitstaff mentioned a petite four was on the way to finish dinner. This appeared in a small ramekin and was a dollop of whipped cream mixed with flaked chocolate placed in the middle of the table served with a single spoon. We enjoyed our evening in the lovely setting with the excellent staff, but thought the dinner fell short of our expectations.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Quite often I review restaurants we visit regularly as I believe it represents a better overall view as opposed to a single visit that might have been fantastic from one reviewer and dreadful from another for a variety of reasons. Our latest visit to Tirohana I am pleased to say was, as always, absolutely superb in every way.
The service is flawless beginning with a warm welcome from Toby and the staff then introduced to your waitron for the evening.
Service through the meal is somewhat 'olde world' it is that good, the staff know the menu by heart and should you require something special they are willing to accommodate you if at all possible.
Wine is naturally first rate along with other beverages if required (they do a great G&T).
When you leave this restaurant you feel both replete and satisfied that you have had a superb dining experience that was value for money - how often have you left a restaurant cursing the price you paid for poor service and questionable food? That wont be the case here if our experiences are anything to go by.

1  Thank 3shepherds