“Good food in Martinborough”
Review of Cafe Medici

Cafe Medici
Cuisines: Cafe, International, European, Contemporary, New Zealand
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Semi formal Bistro café ala carte menu, Children menú available with a daily chef special
Melbourne, Australia
“Good food in Martinborough”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Good atmosphere, even through the week. Strange art on walls would not be to everyone's taste. Quite a limited menu but it did cover all tastes and requirements. Reasonable wine list.

Visited September 2013

Wellington
“Arrogant Manager”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

In July a group of us arrived for lunch - 6 adults, a child and a very young baby. The café was busy and we expected to have a bit of a delay. However nearly an hour later we had lunch served - well most of us did. I didn't. I (and two others in the party) had ordered counter food that just needed heating up. I waited....and waited... and finally went in and was told (with absolutely no hint of an apology) that it was coming. I finally got mine - everyone else had finished. It wasn't even hot and the salad that had been with the other two orders that were the same didn't appear on my plate. We also ordered a Friand and a Scone that never came. When I was paying - I mentioned that they had not arrived and was asked - Where did you order it, here or at the table? I told them at the table along with the rest of the order. The answer from the Manager was "Well it isn't on the order". Does that mean he was accusing me of not ordering??? Who would know. Were they offered to me at that point to take away? No. Was there an apology - oh no, because probably it was my mistake and hadn't been ordered at all. That was how I was made to feel. Return? Never. Food good but it isn't just about food is it. There is no excuse for arrogance and indifference. I will take a picnic with me to Martinborough in preference to returning here.

• Visited July 2013
NZ
“Improved!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Trip Advisor needs an expanded rating system - I would rate this place as a 3.75 out of 5 - it was much better than the Village Cafe, which was kind of a 2.75, but not quite as good as Tirohana, which was a 4... so I've rounded up to the 4. We only breakfasted here so it wasn't the basis for much comparison, but it seemed a lot better than last time we were here a couple of years ago. Friendly cheerful service and they came and chatted about our dog, who was with us, which I always like. Good food, good coffee, and good peppermint tea. We were outside (due to the aforementioned dog). Very good sized portions. All good. Will try for lunch next time we're in town.

• Visited August 2013
Havelock North, New Zealand
“Outstanding lamb dish”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I visit Martinborough regularly to see a relative and although we've had coffee, breakfast and lunch at Medici this was our first time for dinner. The service was friendly and inviting from start to finish. When I approached the restaurant to book a table for the evening they were closed for prep but spotted me peering through the front window and welcomed me inside to take my details. The atmosphere was also inviting with a vocalist serenading what must have been close to a full house of diners. What made this visit worth a review for me was the star of the evening which has to rank in my top 5 dining experiences anywhere in the world. The restaurant was offering a three course experience as part of the Wellington On A Plate event and this was the catalyst for our booking in the first instance. Yet when we read the menu one dish appealed instantly for both of us - Lamb Shoulder for Two at $65. Fresh NZ lamb cooked to perfection and accompanied by delicious sides and red wine sauce.
Magnificent !

• Visited August 2013
Donegal
“Tasty Lunch”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had lunch here on a quick visit to Martinborough. The staff were welcoming and attentive. The dishes we choice were very tasty and large portions. I have never seen a bigger caesar salad!!! The coffee was excellent. Be careful with the aioli, while delicious is very garlicky. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2013