“Charming wines and charming service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Alana Estate Vineyard - CLOSED

Alana Estate Vineyard
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
NZ
“Charming wines and charming service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

We were a group of 8 food and wine lovers and enjoyed the charming wines and service. Wine tasting only.

• Visited October 2011

“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

we were looking forward to a day in the beautiful wine region and lunch at Alana. We enquirer if they had any gluten free dishes and my wife had a frosty "no!" but we had vouchers and thought we would try the estate anyway. There were 9 items on the menu, 3 starters, mains and deserts so keeping it simple is taken to a new level. The dining areas are disappointing as you have no view at all, you cannot even see a vine and by the way it's not important to book in advance. The food? Just ok!

Wellington, NZ
“Oh dear, no no no - time for some staff training or stop trading!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

The food here used to be pretty good, I would say it is now OK. I had my worst service experience ever here when I went with a group of people to celebrate my birthday. We ordered a $100 bottle of wine to celebrate and as it was cold outside (and not too much warmer inside), I asked for the waitress to warm up the bottle before opening it. She put it on the FLOOR in front of a gas heater and left it there. The floor is CONCRETE, so it's cold (as is the rest of the establishment).

When I saw what she was doing, I asked for the waitress to decant it (as that would help to bring it up to room temperature more easily), and was told that the winemaker had taken the only decanter they had, home. So it was left in front of the heater for a while to warm up. She then forgot about it and I had to remind her to give us the wine some 15 mins later. She opened it and left it on the table!

This, together with the continued poor service during the meal, spoiled the occasion and I would never go back. My worst restaurant experience ever. The waiting staff here seriously need some training on customer service and on how to look after wine/customers. IT'S NOT OK to out on a 'pinny' and go serve people if you have little/no idea how to do it.

4 Thank Minkamonka