“Ok for non wine experts”

Ata Rangi Martinborough
More attraction details
Owner description: Ata Rangi, meaning "dawn sky" or "new beginning" is a small New Zealand winery with a big reputation for serious Pinot Noir. Located at the southern end of the North Island, it is owned and managed by a family trio - Clive Paton, his wife Phyll and his sister Alison - with star winemaker Helen Masters and Vineyard Manager Gerry Rotman. Ata Rangi is well established in 25 international markets and has an enviable reputation as one of the New World's most respected Pinot Noir producers."...the long-serving, dedicated team behind Ata Rangi just go from strength to strength. Their Pinots have always been great and yet, even in a world where the Pinot benchmark gets higher every year, Ata Rangi is better than ever." Lisa Perrotti-Brown MW, April 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Heard a lot of hype but for casual wine drinkers I couldn't appreciate this. Tasting area is small, costs $5, tasting pours were small, and on busy days its crowded and slow. I just drink wine casually so perhaps those into it more would appreciate it better. I've been to quite a few wineries and found this average based on other experiences. Still bought a couple of bottles though.

Ata_Rangi, Owner at Ata Rangi Martinborough, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Hi there,

Apologies for the late response. We’ve only just joined TripAdvisor. Thought we’d at least catch up with responses to reviews posted for this year.

Very sorry you didn’t find us meeting your expectations. Yes, our tasting area is small – our original winery building, in fact – we’re just a bunch of hard-working Kiwis passionate about making world class wine and don’t have some of the flashier things of others. And we can get busier than we plan for some days.

Still, we’re not very happy to hear what you thought about your visit, so sorry about that. Well, at least you bought some wine (thank you!) which hopefully has been a much better experience, or still full of future promise in a cellar!

There are newer reviews for Ata Rangi Martinborough

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Perhaps it was high expectations on my part, but I had a slight disappointment at Ata Rangi. I expected to get blown away, but I wasn't, either by the quality of the wine or the knowledge of the person working at the cellar door. It was not bad, just not what I expected. I did buy a bottle of their signature wine, but now my expectations are much more modest.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Even during winter, there were quite a few people coming in for a wine tasting (5NZD/6 wines). The host was just as passionate about the wines as she was knowledgeable. (A lot!) she had not only answers to every questions, but also managed to add additional information while keeping interesting.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was my second time out to Ata Rangi. We always have an excellent time out there. Beautiful property, and fantastic wines. They are always extremely helpful, and able to have a good chat about their wines (answering all our questions along the way).

Loved the Celbre and also their Pinot!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Ata Rangi is well-known in New Zealand and the wines are widely available, but the cellar door is worth checking out. The wines are good - the chardonnays and pinot noir are always stand-outs. Ata Rangi is at the pricier end of the scale, but the quality is there too.