“Roomy accommodation, good for two couples”

Scarborough Apartments
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
NT
“Roomy accommodation, good for two couples”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here in early October 2013, Villa 9 in Scarborough Observation Resort. I was initially worried after reading all the bad reviews online, however I quickly discovered most of the poor reviews are for the budget accommodation which is in a rusted, run-down property across the road.

The 2-bedroom villa we stayed in was well maintained, had plenty of room, and wasn't overly pricey when shared amongst four people. Location was reasonable, as we were a short walk from the beach and some places to eat. The reception staff at SunMoon Resort (where you check-in) around the corner were helpful and friendly as we frequently asked them to order us taxi's. The only real downside was the amount of road noise we could hear as villa 9 was closest to the West Coast highway, so maybe one of the other Villa's wouldn't be as noisy.

I would recommend staying there, perfect for 2 couples or a couple with a small family.

Room Tip: Avoid the budget accommodation. If getting a villa, try one of the lower numbered ones to get away f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Mick

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Motel following your stay. We are very grateful for your feedback which is both balanced and welcomed.

I am sorry that you experienced issues with regards to noise although overall I am pleased to hear that you have had an enjoyable stay with us and found the villas to be clean, comfortable and to offer great value for money. These Villas are especially popular with families who are on the north/south driving tours and vice versa and act as a great location for all those must see tourist hotspots along the Sunset Coast.

Thank you for your kind feedback about our reception team. It is of course correct that check in and check out for this motel is located at the adjacent sister property.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409

Arcadia Hospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here last night for one night in a motel style room (this is their cheapest room with private bathroom).

For the price - it was fine. I was basically just looking for somewhere cheap to stay for the night. The room is small but the beds were comfortable and the linen was clean and fresh. Bathroom etc all good.

The location is great - 2 minutes walk to the beach, coles and restaurants etc very handy so baring that in mind, that makes it a great choice.

Overall - I was very happy with my stay considering the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Jonnie

Thank you very much for your review, we really do appreciate your feedback.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your short stay at the budget orientated Scarborough Observation Resort. Your point is very well made in regards to our location, it is one of envy for sure owing to its central proximity.

Pleased to hear that you found the room to be clean and enjoyed the linens and bed comfort. The resort offers both budget bedrooms with shared bathrooms and also motel bedrooms with private bathrooms, both room categories are really popular and come at a great price point.

I do hope that we will see you again soon. Please do feel free to call me at any stage if I can assist.

We wish you a very pleasant week ahead.

Bridgetown WA
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I should of realised when I booked it so cheaply. Just needed somewhere to stay for 1 night but when I got there and after checking in at the SunMoon, made my way over to a very shabby, tired building with an access code. Should of realised when I was greeted by a drunken, chain smoking worman of about 60 (permanent resident???) at the door. She enquired in a slurred voice whether I was checking in? And if so, the code is ####. I thanked her kindly and made my way inside! Through a rabbit warren of door to a shed outside, my room was at the end and as the the building in front of the shed was built about 40cms from my room, I had to turn sideways to get to my door!!! WTF, is this place even legal! Opened the door and the room appeared very basic but ok but by that stage I was nearly in tears and knew there was no way on Earth I could stay. I would of rather slept in my car. Mind you I've missed out the bit about the 'shared bathroom', a group of toilets and showers in a hallway!! It was all too much for me and I left.
I would like to add that the receptionist at the SunMoon was lovely and now I know why she had a sad/sorry look on her face! LOL

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jamiru
Thank you very much for your review; we really do appreciate your feedback following your recent stay at the Scarborough Observation Resort. The team and I have read with interest your comments.

From your review we can see that you stayed in one of budget bedrooms with shared bathroom facilities. It is fair to say that these bedrooms are not to everyone’s liking and the atmosphere is more hostel like that the remainder of the resort which are off street private villas and apartments or motel bedrooms, so again for the benefit of other readers whilst not to everyone’s liking, the budget bedrooms however do have a great following at the budget end of the market and there is a need in Perth for such accommodation.

Whilst I cannot comment on the mentioned person you met on entry, rest assured we do not have long term residents at this accommodation to speak of.

As the majority of accommodation at this resort comprises of private villas and apartments we have taken the decision to handle the check in and check out aspect at the adjacent 24 hour reception of Sunmoon, which we also look after and manage. Thank you for your feedback about their service which is much appreciated.

It is clear that the budget bedrooms are not the style of accommodation you would normally opt for; we do however hope that you might try one of the motel bedrooms also at Scarborough Observation Resort on a future stay. Motel bedrooms are fully en-suite and offer more or less the same facilities of a 2.5 star hotel bedroom and come with complimentary car parking, they are quite private and located off street and very affordable so do look out for them.

Jamiru, thank you again for your feedback, have a lovely week ahead.

Arcadia Hospitality

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I will start this review to say that the "resort" is split up (I believe) into three sections.
We stayed in Apartment 7. Top floor of the Northern most section.

The white outside paint of the building was peeling and the apartments looked very old. Our first impression was that the apartments are run down and not looked after. We were very worried about what we would find inside.

Our car bottomed out on the steep driveway. There was no parking available below (only 4 bays), so we had no choice but to try and park up the top.

The bathroom: We tried to hop into a nice warm shower that night. The shower alternated between burning and freezing us. So to have a shower, we had to stand outside the shower and splash water on ourselves. Not nice when you have small children.

There was mould on the walls and no bench space at all in the bathroom. 2 curtains closed in the shower. One shower curtain blocked the drain

A cracked power switch above the table in the kitchen. Really dangerous. A mouse or cockroach trap in the kitchen. Cockroach found in a drawer. .

There was no mention of towels not being provided. There was a mini bar and linen changes, so I guess these were serviced apartments? We had to go out an buy towels to use for the duration of our stay.

The pool was filthy green with wooden planks in it.

I have waited a few days to put up this review. I thought about contacting management first. But I believe there is an overall lack of care given and I would hate for another family to get this sprung upon them.

I travel all around Australia and I have never stayed at apartments in this condition.

We normally stay at another resort which is just beautiful, but having the whole family this time we went for cheaper accommodation. Never again.

Yes they are budget apartments. But at the very least, you expect working showers, maintenance and cleanliness.

Very very disappointed!! For the record, I have never left a bad review about any accommodation until this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Michelle

Thank you very much for your review; we really do appreciate your feedback following your recent stay at the Scarborough Observation Resort. The team and I have read through your comments and would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay.

From your review we can see that you stayed in one of two bedroom budget apartments located at Manning Street. It is clear from your review that you did not like the accommodation provided although I felt it was important to reply on a number of points which you have raised for the benefit of other users of this website.

Naturally we can confirm that the shower does work, that said I am very sorry should there have been maintenance related issue with the shower whilst you were staying with us. We could not locate evidence of mould which you refer to and of course have carried out any remedial works as required which include the power socket you refer to, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am not sure why there was any confusion over towelling as we do provide towelling to all arrivals in all bedrooms at this property. Currently we do however only service apartments and villas once a week, this is under review and we are moving towards daily servicing to make you aware, but it is still at the once a week service as I write this reply. We do not charge for linen although there is a snack bar with soft drinks and dry goods and we do charge for those items.

We are surprised not to have been made aware of the items you mentioned you found in a kitchen cupboard, quite irregular and inexplicable in our opinion.

The pool at Scarborough Observation Resort is not functional and has been covered over for that reason. Whilst there is generally speaking ample parking for all apartments the actual car bays are not designated to each apartment themselves, sorry if you had problems with parking your car.

Your point is well made in that even in budget accommodation, the expectation of cleanliness and good maintenance is still as importance as it would be in a 5 star property. Overall we have many happy guests stay with us here and I apologise once again that you left with such an impression of our accommodation.

Should you have a change of mind about staying I would very much welcome your call and promise you an altogether better stay next time around.

Thank you again for your feedback, have a lovely week ahead.

Brisbane
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Altogether we stayed 8 nights at the villa. Myself having travel industry experience many years ago, I can tell that the staff are well trained and friendly. They did their best to meet the clients' needs. The villa is a solidly built spacious, budget type accommodation even with its own lockup garage and backyard. We needed a few things but I think it is the matter of the owner of the property if they are willing to improve the facilities. Then the room rate is set economically so some inconveniences were bearable and the staff were helpful. The linens and towels were clean and the bed was comfortable. We were four adults and the space was generous somewhat like your own house . Coles and beach is easy walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KKDSH
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Reviewer

We are very grateful for your feedback following your recent stay at the Scarborough Observation Resort – Villas, it is great to hear that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay here with us.

Your point is very well made in regards to the age of the Villas and whilst clean and well maintained, some aspects could benefit from refurbishment. Thankfully this does fit into our long term plans you will be pleased to know. Until then these spacious properties act as a great base for budget conscious leisure travellers and families who are relocating.

We are very pleased to hear that you found our staff to have a helpful and cheery manner, they are delighted to be in receipt of your comments, so thank you once again.

We look forward to the pleasure of your company again soon, please do not hesitate to ask for me and I will be delighted to assist you with you as required.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were not sure where to stay in Perth and decided here as it is a "cheaper" option. I say "cheaper" as it was the most expensive accommodation on our whole trip. It was also the worst. The high price is mostly due to the location (see photos) but inside it isn't great.

When the website mentions shared bathroom and showers. What it actually means is that there are cubicles in the hallway. There is no actual bathROOM (See photos).

Our queen bed was simply 2 beds shoved together.

Our room was part of an external building built in the backyard. A view from the back door can be seen in photos. My partner works for council and has actually identified quite a few problems with the building and the safety standards inside. Not claiming that they are breaching or performing their business illegally... but she did wonder whether WA's policies were a bit more relaxed than the rest of the country, based on what she saw.

I won't be going back there.

The only people I could recommend this place to are people that are outgoing, beachy people, who would spend little to no time in their rooms outside of sleeping.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Will_Clancy
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don't be sucked in by the "resort" in the title. We stayed in the villas and budget apartments and they were very average. The villas have been updated and are okay. The budget apartments are very run down. Our 2 bedroom villa had comfortable beds but the toilet is in the laundry and nowhere near the bathroom.

The staff are friendly and very accommodating of large groups.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the budget accommodation
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sportsnut65
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Motel following your stay. We do appreciate your candid account of your experience.

We do appreciate your feedback about the villas but were a little perplexed about your comments about the WC. The WC rooms in the villas are private as oppose to open and are located just off the exit lobbies to the back yard of each Villa. The same lobby area houses the laundry machines in each villa. I am sorry that you felt the apartments did not meet with your expectation.

On a more positive note we are pleased that you found the location, service on offer and sleep quality all to be very good, so thank you once again for this feedback.

Once again thank you for reviewing us, we do hope to see you soon and I will be delighted to assist with any needs.

Arcadia Hospitality
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Ocean View Motel
#1 of 1 in North Beach
Perth CBD
The Great Southern Hotel

Been to Scarborough Apartments? Share your experiences!