“We couldn't use the shower!”

Scarborough Apartments
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I will start this review to say that the "resort" is split up (I believe) into three sections.
We stayed in Apartment 7. Top floor of the Northern most section.

The white outside paint of the building was peeling and the apartments looked very old. Our first impression was that the apartments are run down and not looked after. We were very worried about what we would find inside.

Our car bottomed out on the steep driveway. There was no parking available below (only 4 bays), so we had no choice but to try and park up the top.

The bathroom: We tried to hop into a nice warm shower that night. The shower alternated between burning and freezing us. So to have a shower, we had to stand outside the shower and splash water on ourselves. Not nice when you have small children.

There was mould on the walls and no bench space at all in the bathroom. 2 curtains closed in the shower. One shower curtain blocked the drain

A cracked power switch above the table in the kitchen. Really dangerous. A mouse or cockroach trap in the kitchen. Cockroach found in a drawer. .

There was no mention of towels not being provided. There was a mini bar and linen changes, so I guess these were serviced apartments? We had to go out an buy towels to use for the duration of our stay.

The pool was filthy green with wooden planks in it.

I have waited a few days to put up this review. I thought about contacting management first. But I believe there is an overall lack of care given and I would hate for another family to get this sprung upon them.

I travel all around Australia and I have never stayed at apartments in this condition.

We normally stay at another resort which is just beautiful, but having the whole family this time we went for cheaper accommodation. Never again.

Yes they are budget apartments. But at the very least, you expect working showers, maintenance and cleanliness.

Very very disappointed!! For the record, I have never left a bad review about any accommodation until this one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Michelle

Thank you very much for your review; we really do appreciate your feedback following your recent stay at the Scarborough Observation Resort. The team and I have read through your comments and would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay.

From your review we can see that you stayed in one of two bedroom budget apartments located at Manning Street. It is clear from your review that you did not like the accommodation provided although I felt it was important to reply on a number of points which you have raised for the benefit of other users of this website.

Naturally we can confirm that the shower does work, that said I am very sorry should there have been maintenance related issue with the shower whilst you were staying with us. We could not locate evidence of mould which you refer to and of course have carried out any remedial works as required which include the power socket you refer to, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am not sure why there was any confusion over towelling as we do provide towelling to all arrivals in all bedrooms at this property. Currently we do however only service apartments and villas once a week, this is under review and we are moving towards daily servicing to make you aware, but it is still at the once a week service as I write this reply. We do not charge for linen although there is a snack bar with soft drinks and dry goods and we do charge for those items.

We are surprised not to have been made aware of the items you mentioned you found in a kitchen cupboard, quite irregular and inexplicable in our opinion.

The pool at Scarborough Observation Resort is not functional and has been covered over for that reason. Whilst there is generally speaking ample parking for all apartments the actual car bays are not designated to each apartment themselves, sorry if you had problems with parking your car.

Your point is well made in that even in budget accommodation, the expectation of cleanliness and good maintenance is still as importance as it would be in a 5 star property. Overall we have many happy guests stay with us here and I apologise once again that you left with such an impression of our accommodation.

Should you have a change of mind about staying I would very much welcome your call and promise you an altogether better stay next time around.

Thank you again for your feedback, have a lovely week ahead.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Altogether we stayed 8 nights at the villa. Myself having travel industry experience many years ago, I can tell that the staff are well trained and friendly. They did their best to meet the clients' needs. The villa is a solidly built spacious, budget type accommodation even with its own lockup garage and backyard. We needed a few things but I think it is the matter of the owner of the property if they are willing to improve the facilities. Then the room rate is set economically so some inconveniences were bearable and the staff were helpful. The linens and towels were clean and the bed was comfortable. We were four adults and the space was generous somewhat like your own house . Coles and beach is easy walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KKDSH
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Reviewer

We are very grateful for your feedback following your recent stay at the Scarborough Observation Resort – Villas, it is great to hear that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay here with us.

Your point is very well made in regards to the age of the Villas and whilst clean and well maintained, some aspects could benefit from refurbishment. Thankfully this does fit into our long term plans you will be pleased to know. Until then these spacious properties act as a great base for budget conscious leisure travellers and families who are relocating.

We are very pleased to hear that you found our staff to have a helpful and cheery manner, they are delighted to be in receipt of your comments, so thank you once again.

We look forward to the pleasure of your company again soon, please do not hesitate to ask for me and I will be delighted to assist you with you as required.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were not sure where to stay in Perth and decided here as it is a "cheaper" option. I say "cheaper" as it was the most expensive accommodation on our whole trip. It was also the worst. The high price is mostly due to the location (see photos) but inside it isn't great.

When the website mentions shared bathroom and showers. What it actually means is that there are cubicles in the hallway. There is no actual bathROOM (See photos).

Our queen bed was simply 2 beds shoved together.

Our room was part of an external building built in the backyard. A view from the back door can be seen in photos. My partner works for council and has actually identified quite a few problems with the building and the safety standards inside. Not claiming that they are breaching or performing their business illegally... but she did wonder whether WA's policies were a bit more relaxed than the rest of the country, based on what she saw.

I won't be going back there.

The only people I could recommend this place to are people that are outgoing, beachy people, who would spend little to no time in their rooms outside of sleeping.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Will_Clancy
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don't be sucked in by the "resort" in the title. We stayed in the villas and budget apartments and they were very average. The villas have been updated and are okay. The budget apartments are very run down. Our 2 bedroom villa had comfortable beds but the toilet is in the laundry and nowhere near the bathroom.

The staff are friendly and very accommodating of large groups.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the budget accommodation
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sportsnut65
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Motel following your stay. We do appreciate your candid account of your experience.

We do appreciate your feedback about the villas but were a little perplexed about your comments about the WC. The WC rooms in the villas are private as oppose to open and are located just off the exit lobbies to the back yard of each Villa. The same lobby area houses the laundry machines in each villa. I am sorry that you felt the apartments did not meet with your expectation.

On a more positive note we are pleased that you found the location, service on offer and sleep quality all to be very good, so thank you once again for this feedback.

Once again thank you for reviewing us, we do hope to see you soon and I will be delighted to assist with any needs.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Scarborough Observation Resort is in a great location, close to the Beach, supermarket, take aways, service stations, etc. Not realising that I had to check in at the Sunmoon Resort though meant a drive around looking for the Reception, as it was late at night that was a little off putting. We were housed in a Villa which was spacious and had all the amenities expected except for the DVD player and dryer which were advertised as a feature of the Villa's. The King Size bed was comfortable and the linen was clean and fresh. One single bed had a broken base so was very uncomfortable. The shower lacked a screen and the shower head was not adjustable so water ended up all over the floor making the shower mat useless. Towels were not changed at all during our stay, so I washed them daily but because there wasnt a dryer as advertised, the days it rained I couldnt get them dry and there was a $25 charge each towel to get new ones!! The tiled floor was disgusting and looked like it had never seen a mop. There was not a compendium in the room so there was no information at all on the Restaurant at Sunmoon, or any emergency contact numbers, etc, or things you would expect to be in a room. Also, there was not mention of the swimming pool being only for the use of Hotel guests until I asked at reception how we got to it. This is an advertised feature of the Resort and was disappointing. The fridge, tv, stove, washing machine were all reasonably new and well kept. On the whole our stay at the Resort was ordinary and i would not be in a hurry to return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Debbie P
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Debbie

We are very grateful that you have taken time to review us on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you chose our budget orientated Scarborough Observation Resort and have read your review with interest. It would appear that we have some minor maintenance matters which affected your stay here with us, please do accept my sincere apologies for this. I am pleased to read that you found the bed and linen quality and appliances within the villa to your satisfaction. It is fair to say that the location is excellent, as it is within walking distance to so many services and to the beach’.

Your point is very well made in regards to the guest information, this was completely an oversight and thankfully has been rectified. It is not clear from this review how your booking was initially made, all our confirmations when booked directly do confirm the location for both check in and check out, and whilst we make every effort to ensure that 3rd party agents carry the correct information about our properties, we apologise that the correct information does not appear to have reached you.

As the villas and apartments are more residential, we refresh towels and linen usually once a week in these categories of accommodation, I am not sure why this was not highlighted, that said we would have happily obliged should you have requested a towel or linen change at some stage during your stay.

I do hope that we will see you soon, you have my personal assurance of an altogether better stay next time around, please do not hesitate to contact me on 08 9245 8000 Extension 409 if I can be of any assistance at all.

Once again Debbie thank you for your feedback.

Have a lovely week.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The outside of the Scarborough Observation Resort is run down, the pool is empty with shade cloth over it to hide the state of disrepair! we booked the budget apartment with 2 bedrooms, this was clean and in a good state of repair but very dated, the bathroom was very average. for a family of 4 $160 a night is good value if you are just going to use it as a place to sleep.
The Sunmoon boutique hotel is where you check in and you end up in a dead end street in a run down old apartment complex

Room Tip: you get what you pay for!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Scottie

We are very grateful for your feedback following your recent stay at the Scarborough Observation Resort – budget apartments.

Great to hear that you found the service, cleanliness, sleep quality and location to be very good, your point is well made in regards to the outside of the building and we do have plans in this financial year to look at working on this matter. That said we have no plans at this time to refurbish the pool area and this is predominantly the reason it is covered over. At this resort we do aim to provide clean and well maintained accommodation at a competitive price.

The street where the apartments are located is called Manning Street, the majority of property on this street is owned by our company and this includes villas, budget bedrooms and also budget apartments. It is a cul de sac but that is also one of its advantages in that it is a very quiet street with little or no passing traffic to speak of. Scarborough itself has long since moved away from its image of old and sees itself an upwardly mobile and vibrant community, this is reflected by the ever increasing investment in the local area to services and business and is matched by a surge in new property developments so the street sits in good company so to speak.

We do hope to see you soon and would be very pleased to assist you with any reservation requirements at any of our properties. Please do not hesitate to call the team or myself and we would be delighted to help. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I spent 3 nights in a motel room,which had every facility that I could need including tea/coffee making facilities,small fridge and mini bar, and TV.
The room and ensuite shower were very modern and were obviously newly decorated.
Bed linen was gorgeous and fresh towels every day,should you need them.
If you stay in the motel you do not have the use of the pool facilities so when I returned a week later,having booked the same accommodation,the management had upgraded me to a hotel room in the main building which was fabulous,contemporary and a very good size.
The pool,bar and restaurant were all available for use and the staff were very amenable and friendly.
Romina,the manager and all the staff contributed to making my stay very memorable.
You are only a short walk to the famous Scarborough beach and there are some fabulous restaurants and bars very close by. You are also only a short drive from the city so everything is on your doorstep.
I am already planning my return!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 52Lesley

Dear Lesley

We are very grateful for your feedback following your recent stay at the Scarborough Observation Resort – Motel rooms, delighted that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay here with us.

Your feedback about Romina is most welcomed and she is very happy to be in receipt of your comments ! It is nice to hear you enjoyed an upgrade on your return stay to our nearby 4 Star Hotel.

We look forward to the pleasure of your company again soon, please feel free to contact Romina or myself, we will be delighted to help with your requirements.

Arcadia Hospitality

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Indian Ocean Hotel
#2 of 6 in Scarborough
Ocean View Motel
#1 of 1 in North Beach
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
#4 of 6 in Scarborough
Scarborough
Ramada Vetroblu Scarborough Beach

Been to Scarborough Apartments? Share your experiences!