“avoid at all costs”

Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Hotel looks very nice on the internet but once you arrive you can see that the pictures do it too much justice. The rooms smell arent clean and are very basic for the price. Breaksfast is a joke! staff are ignorant and rude! no help at all! avoid at all costs! worst hotel we have stayed at!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louise8990
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Upon commencement at the Hotel this January 2013, the team and I have set about on a number of new and very exciting initiatives all aimed at ultimately increasing guest satisfaction and loyalty to our brand. Of course both the Sunmoon Boutique Resort and Scarborough Village itself have come a long way since your particular stay.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay, you have the teams’ and my personal assurance of an altogether better experience the next time around.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

There are newer reviews for Sunmoon Boutique Resort

Reviewed August 23, 2010

I stayed at the Sunmoon with my partner for 2 nights in a queen-spa room. The rooms are average in size & in décor. It really wasn’t anything special. The balcony looked over Scarborough Beach Road and it was small as well as looked/attached to the next room’s balcony. So you couldn’t really go out there and sit and have a drink without the room next to you joining you basically.

The grounds are nice with a tropical feel/vibe attached to them & there is adequate parking located behind the resort.

We were also given complementary breakfast which was good, however not great.

I would most probably stay at this hotel again, due to the good price - however, there are other nicer hotels situated near by.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank perthy_88

Reviewed May 19, 2010

For the first time in years, and in something of a hurry, I booked a hotel without reading the Trip Advisor reviews first. Oops.

I arrived at Sunmoon at around 8pm after a flight in from the East Coast. Reception was reasonable and quite friendly, so my initial reaction to the hotel was quite positive. That, unfortunately, is where the goodwill ran out.

I was put into a room in a premises next door, which for all the world looked like a converted garage from the 1960's. It also butted up immediately against a highway, which I was later told is the busiest road in Western Australia. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I can assure you that it is one of the noisiest. I then did something that in 13 years of business travel I have never done - I returned to reception and insisted on being moved to a new room. There was just absolutely no chance of getting sleep with semitrailers roaring along literally 4-5 meters from my bed.

Charged $20 for an upgrade, I was moved into a substandard, old and poorly furnished room at the back of the property. It completely lacked the services and finish that you would expect in a hotel of this price range, and the walls were so thin I was welcomed to my room by the sounds of the man in the adjoining room entertaining (enthusiastically) a lady visitor. Still, it was marginally better than the truck noises, so I moved in.

Internet was unbelievably expensive, and then didn't work. When I eventually could find a signal, download speed was reminiscent of something from the early 90's. I eventually gave up and used my iPhone instead.

Breakfast, which was included in the package, was spectacularly bad. I mean, really, really shocking. It wasn't so much that the food was poor (though it was), but more than the service appeared to have been brilliantly scripted by a comendy writer. Despite the fact that the 'restaurant' was staffed entirely by pubescent teens, I would still imagine that the basics could have been covered off. But, no. Despite the restaurant being almost empty, I was made to sit outside (in the cold, rainy and miserable Perth Autumn weather). Apparently, the restaurant was to be used for a function later, and they didn't want it messed up.

Although the waitresses were reluctant to step outside into the cold, I eventually had my order taken. And then taken again. And again. Each time by different people. My breakfast (reheated bacon, undercooked eggs, dry toast) appeared after a lengthy delay. Then another came. Then another came. And then when I was finished, my coffee came. And then another. And then another. Please keep in mind that there were only three people in the restaurant and I was clearly already eating my breakfast. A trained monkey could have worked out that the additional breakfasts were probably not for me. But I guess training is the critical word there.

Precisely the same happened on morning two. I was scanning around the room to see the hidden cameras. Surely, this must have been a set up.

Anyway, that's just an example. With the exception of my Kiwi night receptionist, the staff at the hotel are either surly, absent or simply dim-witted. The rooms are old, noisy and furnished, I assume, from e-Bay. The restaurant serves nothing but reheated muck. And for all of this, you are (over)charged at a rate for which you can find 5 star accommodation just down the road.

There are many hotels in the Scarborough area. There is no conceivable reason why you would consider the Sunmoon.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Ian_Pratt
Reviewed November 18, 2009

On first arrival at the hotel I thought it was great but couldn't get past the strange smell in the room. It wasn't until the smell became unbearable the next morning that we located the source-vomit all down the side of the bed and when we rolled the bed over it was all underneath on the carpet. When we called reception (at 10am) we were told that another room wouldn't be available for another 2 hours-not what you want to hear when it is the day after you get married. To make matters worse when I wrote a letter of complaint all I got in return was a voucher for a free upgrade-I'm pretty sure we will never be going back!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank neysie

Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed here over new year, and to be fair its not that bad a place. But at the same time its certainly nothing special, and therefore a bit overpriced..
Our room was on the first floor at the rear so we didn't have any road noise, although i cant see it being as big a problem as some of the other reviews have made it out to be.

My main problem with this hotel was the room itself, our room was actually quite large, but this equated to just a lot of empty space, there was a tiny counter with everything imaginable squeezed on, a single tacky chair a built in wardrobe and the bed.. there was no where for us to both sit, or to put anything other then the floor. This made the room kind of uncomfortable really. Also the rooms are all floor tiled, this is a pain at a hotel near the beach as theres sand all over it, its there when you arrive, and theres more of it when you leave. This may sound like i'm being picky, but with a tile floor, you cant help but kick it up everywhere, so within five minutes of you turning up the bed which is your only place to sit remember is already covered in it..

The pool area looks quite nice although its a tiny pool ( but you are 2 mins from the beach) and the walkway on the ground floor although basically a passageway has been made into a nice feature..

The person who took the photos for this hotel really did a good job capturing the light and the angles to make this hotel look a lot better then it is.. The pics are of the hotel, you cant deny it, but its a clever bit of photography as the hotel rooms pool etc don't live up to the expectations of the impressive pictures

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gaze79

Reviewed August 11, 2009

A friend picked this hotel for a school re-union accommodation. Rooms not ready even at 3pm, manageress could care less. The rooms were basic and although we had requested room at back we were initially given a room at the front. The traffic noise from West Coast Highway was shocking and did not let up even at 3am. We had asked the next day to move to another hotel but were told we would lose our deposit so we could not afford to pay for 2 nights. We all ended up staying the 2nd night on a friend's lounge/floor who lived close by rather than stay here again and the worst part of it all is they just didn't care. So much for customer service

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 7, 2009

Chose Sunmoon due to its location in Scarborough WA. It was the best value on wotif.com but their own website give a better rate (-$10 in our case). Room was at the rear of the complex, away from the West Coast Hwy and its noise. A full cooked breakfast was included, making the room rate reasonable for the quality of room. Free undercover parking included.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Michael Cheung

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ocean Beach Hotel
Ocean Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cottesloe
Parmelia Hilton Perth

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!