“Basic but Nice”

Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Chose Sunmoon due to its location in Scarborough WA. It was the best value on wotif.com but their own website give a better rate (-$10 in our case). Room was at the rear of the complex, away from the West Coast Hwy and its noise. A full cooked breakfast was included, making the room rate reasonable for the quality of room. Free undercover parking included.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Upon commencement at the Hotel this January 2013, the team and I have set about on a number of new and very exciting initiatives all aimed at ultimately increasing guest satisfaction and loyalty to our brand. Of course both the Sunmoon Boutique Resort and Scarborough Village itself have come a long way since your particular stay.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay, you have the teams’ and my personal assurance of an altogether better experience the next time around.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Reviewed May 11, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights whilst visiting our son and first impressions were favourable. The room was clean and adequate and the pool area pleasant, although the lighting in the room was very poor. However, the room was VERY noisy. We were woken on 3 out of four nights at 3.30 or 4 am by noisy guests. On one day our room wasn't cleaned at all and the reception seemed at a loss as to what to do when we reported it. We needed to check out early and were told someone would be in reception from 6.50 am onwards, but even at 7am (the official opening time) we were greeted with rudeness and told to wait! We were due to return for a further 2 nights but cancelled and found a cheaper and friendlier hotel!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed for two nights. The staff were helpful and friendly and the hotel surrounds were lovely, a very Thai feel to it. Also, breakfast in the restaurant was great. Shame about the noise and basic room amenities though... I requested a room away from West Coast highway, we were given one directly on the highway, as well as above the driveway. The noise from the highway went all day and night and no measures were taken to quieten the noise (eg we have stayed in motels where they have double glazed the windows in noisy areas, no such luck here). The garbage truck came at 8am on Sunday morning and had trouble moving in the tight driveway, or so it sounded like for over 20 minutes. Those, combined with an old bed that made us roll to the middle, a very out of date TV, nowhere to put your bags in the room other than the floor and especially the lack of security from the inside of the room (the hotel has no external security) did not make for the relaxing weekend we were looking for. For the price I paid, I expected the little extras. I won't stay there again despite the staff, clean rooms, good food and surrounds as I just felt it charged its rates based on its proximity to Scarborough beach rather than putting in the effort to be a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 16, 2009

We travelled to Perth for a hens weekend away, there were four of us girls.
The room we stayed in was 2 stories with the main bathroom and main bedroom downstairs and upstairs there was a double bed and 2 singles. Plenty of choice on where you wanted to sleep. Only downside there was you had to walk down the stairs at night if you needed a loo break. No air con in upstairs room which initially we thought it would be too hot but the fans that were up there did a great job. Air con was downstairs.
Room was very clean and staff friendly!
Loved the pool but wasnt heated which did not really bother us as it was hot outside.
Didnt eat or drink there as we out and about most of the time.
Location great, just a stroll across the main road to the beach. Recommend staying in the back rooms to avoid noise from the road.
All in all would def go back!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gozo86

Dear Gozo

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your nice feedback about the hotel, service and location.

Reviewed August 23, 2008

Didn' t meet expectations from hotel website. Stayed for 2 nights and would have checked out but prepaid 1 night and cancellation was another nights fee. Room was average. Bed was against window which backed on to the walkway for room access throughout. Walls were thin and room was noisy. Bring your own alarm clock as no wake up calls were provided and alarm clock did not work. Tried to shower at 11pm and no hot water whatsoever. I was in this area on business and would not recommend for a business stay. Restaurant staff friendly and breakfast was of a good standard. Website oversells this property.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank destinationholiday_7

Reviewed July 20, 2008

Traffic and street noise deafening. Paper thin walls. Insecure- locks on doors and windows flimsy and poorly constructed. Wind blew through the cracks. Extremely cold. Window covering scimpy. Linen flimsy. Blanket stained, holey and tissue thin. Only one issued. Unable to raise staff during night to get another. Heater ineffecient and noisey in the very sparsely decorated rooms. Tried to sleep in my track suit. Staff very obliging and tried to solve my problems the next day. Would have booked out but no refund on money. Beautiful beach. Busy highway to cross to get to the beach. Scarborough is a concrete jungle one block back from the beach where this hotel is located. Some very interesting restaurants on beach worth a visit. Give the sunmoon restaurant a miss and eat down at the beach.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank darceyvincent

Reviewed April 7, 2008

Had 2 floor apartment for 11 days.
Disappointing overall, very noisy indeed, due to thin wooden walls and floors. unattractive restaurant, pool disappointing, very cold water, no lighting at night, almost no shade in the hot sun.
Expensive, only stayed because of non-refundable deposit. Would not stay again. the web site photo is misleading and must be 10 years old.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank HL4Travel

Michael Cheung

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Scarborough
Ramada Vetroblu Scarborough Beach
Indian Ocean Hotel
#2 of 6 in Scarborough
Ocean View Motel
#1 of 1 in North Beach
West Perth
Sage Hotel West Perth

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!