“Sunmoon Resort hotel”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Sunmoon Resort hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Lovely small hotel. An oasis in the heat and 2 minute walk to the beach where you can watch the sun go down on the Indian ocean sipping a fabulous cocktail from one of the many bars and restaurants along the Esplanade. The staff are excellent and go out of their way to help. The rooms are spacious with excellent beds and a much needed and very effective air conditioner which made visiting in the hotter part of the year bearable. We would book here again very happily. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Ms. Fairhall

Thank you for staying with us recently at The Sunmoon Boutique Resort. It has been a great pleasure to host and pamper you.

We are pleased to hear that you found the service on offer to be of a very high standard and that you enjoyed all other aspects of the Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again and please do say hello in person on your next visit!

Michael Cheung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I had a room here as a surprise for my partners birthday - he wasn't disappointed!
We had a lovely room overlooking the pool & sat outside watching the sun go down was absolute bliss..
Upon arrival I was greeted by a very professional receptionist who had me checked in within minutes and I was on my way.
My partner loved the room & we even decided to go down to the restaurant for dinner. The baked Barramundi is a must!!

The room type we stayed in was a Queen Hotel Balcony which was a perfect size!
Check out was quick even for a busy Sunday Morning.

We will most defiantly be back & thank you to all the lovely staff at the Sunmoon Boutique Resort!

Dear Kate

I was thrilled to read your review following your recent stay with us at The Sunmoon Boutique Resort. We are delighted to read that we made you and your partner feel comfortable and special. Thanks for your lovely feedback about the facilities on offer here at the Hotel and very nice to see that you also enjoyed your meal at The Sunmoon Restaurant & Bar.

I was glad to see that we managed to assist in what was an enjoyable outcome for your partner's birthday and we look forward to seeing you soon.

My best wishes,
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our very positive experience started right from the moment we checked in with the receptionist, on hearing that my husband had recently had a heart attack, reallocated us a room that was accessible via the lift which was greatly appreciated. This put us in a beautiful room overlooking the stunning pool area and looking out towards the beautiful Indian Ocean. We particularly enjoyed the room service meals provided bythe restaurant, they were of the highest standard, absolutely delicious and delivered in good time by very friendly and helpful staff. I could not fault this hotel at all. Would recommend it to anyone.

Dear Cathy

Thank you for taking time to write a review following your recent stay here at The Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

We are pleased to hear that you had a lovely break and delighted to hear that you found our reception team to be of assistance. Lovely to hear that you both enjoyed room service as well.

The bedrooms which you refer to do have some quite nice views, these rooms fall into the category of queen hotel balcony or deluxe studio bedrooms. My personal favourite is room 209 which is a deluxe studio room!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thank you once again for your feedback.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Went for a Valentines Day dinner, it was a 5 course set menu. The restaurant is disgusting and an absolute waste of money. The waiters just drop the food at your table without saying a word, took for me to get up and ask to get a drink after half an hour, that took another 20 minutes to come. They also started by giving us the same started 3 times and after an hour I thought they may have figured it out but they didn't, I went to complain and was essentially told to sit down my oysters will be sent out soon by the extremely rude manager, that wasn't the right dish either. Food was ok but inconsistent, steak was a very low quality cut and was literally burnt on one side, other than that it took at least 20 minutes between dishes which meant we ended up leaving at 11:00. The people next to us left 3 meals on because they hated the service and the food and the people over from us came in after us and were given their meals in quick succession, but after finishing realised that the staff had forgotten one. Also had a dead bug come out of the water jug into my partners glass which they immediately changed but may say something about cleanliness. The manager is also loud and abruptive, it is a quiet restaurant and he is constantly heard yelling at the other staff, telling them to to "shut up" . This all happened on our night there and there was only one waiter who seemed to have any organisational or people skills. If you want to have a nice dinner, do not go there, it was pathetic.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Scotty1994
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Scotty

Thank you for sending us your feedback and for choosing to dine with us on Valentine’s evening last week.

Our aim is to provide our guests with memorable experiences and it was disappointing to learn we seemingly fell short of our usual high standards as you suggest. We do apologise should you feel the service for you and your partner was below par. I have sat with the team to discuss your feedback and sat with our Restaurant Manager in private to discuss your rather personal comments about his behaviour on the evening in question. We would be very happy to welcome you back to our Restaurant & Bar and request that you reach out to me so I can discuss this with you.

Our records indicate that you have not stayed in the hotel overnight in a room so I am unsure as to how to answer your grading of our bedrooms and respective cleanliness of the bedrooms? On a lighter note your grading of our location is well received.

We appreciate your observations and comments and trust that we can look forward to welcoming you back to our Restaurant & Bar in the near future.

Kind regards
Michael Cheung

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed at the Sunmoon for our honeymoon night when we got married in January. From the minute we walked in the door to the moment we left it was a truly wonderful experience. The service we received at reception was exceptionally professional yet warm and friendly.
Our room was chilled with the air con already on for us and the room was gorgeous. Sparkling Clean, huge, modern...my only downer was the view - Shell servo with a huge graffiti wall (not a fault of the hotel though).
Within ten minutes of getting to our room we were surprised by a knock at the door which was room service with a complimentary bottle of champagne for the newlyweds from the General Manager . We were stunned and so happy to get such a nice surprise !
We had dinner at the restaurant and it was absolutely delicious and faultless. Intimate alfresco with candles, chilled music and friendly efficient service.
Everything was wonderful about this place. I would highly recommend it for proximity to everything in Scarborough, service, cleanliness, privacy and friendly staff.
As we are moving out of Perth we will definitely return and stay here again when we next get the chance.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room - not ocean view unless you're on the top floor!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Congratulations once again on your recent wedding. I thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent visit to The Sunmoon Boutique Resort and also for choosing to stay with us when in Scarborough.

It is lovely to read how much you enjoyed the experience. Your comments have been shared with the team who are very grateful for your feedback. Some good news to report is that graffiti you refer to is now a freshly painted wall!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Sunmoon Boutique Resort in the not too distant future and would be only too happy to assist with your arrangements at that time.

Kind regards,

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Recently had the pleasure of organising and then delivering a corporate training event within the sun moon. The service from the sun moon exceeded my expectations. The communication leading up to the event was clear and concise. The training room was excellent and the staff highly attentive.

Our event included catering which was exceptional. The quality of the food was commented on by all the participants and was of an exceptional nature.

The sun moon staff are an exceptional team, led by a genuine hospitality professional. Thankyou Michael and the team. We will be back.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose any room, they are all clean and well presented.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Darren

I was really pleased to read that you and your colleagues enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Sunmoon Boutique Hotel.

We were all delighted to hear that your meeting went well for you and equally happy to learn that you will return to the Hotel at some stage in the forseable future.

Thank you for your kind comments about the team efforts which are truly appreciated. We wish you a pleasant week ahead.

With renewed thanks,
Famagusta, Famagusta, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

After much research on the internet I finally decided to book a stay at The Sunmoon Resort and I am so glad I did!

I stayed at the Sunmoon for one week in January. The location of the hotel is great. It is literally around the corner from Scarborough beach and seafront, where you can find a few bars and restaurants and close to the bus stop and Coles Supermarket. The area is clean and safe. Even at night I had no problems walking to and from the hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, the staff and the service. The staff at reception were very friendly and I was greeted with a smiling face and speedily checked in. Housekeeping was also excellent - my room was cleaned everyday without fail and all complimentary cosmetics were replaced each time. The room had a kettle and complimentary tea, coffee, sugar and even milk in the fridge, which was also checked and replaced everyday by housekeeping.

I stayed in a standard Queen room. The room was great, had all the basic amenities including an ironing board and iron. I requested a room on the highest floor (no lift to third floor, only to second then must take the stairs but help with luggage was offered) and not on the main road and my requests were granted. The only problem with the room was that it used to be an adjoining room, which was then turned into two separate rooms. As a result, there was only a door separating the two rooms which meant that noise carried. I could hear the TV, the conversations and even the bodily functions of the people next door. As a light sleeper this was a problem for me. I did mention this to the people at reception and they promptly made a note of it so as to avoid a future booking in the same room.

Regarding noise, it could get very noisy with people having parties to all hours on the properties behind the hotel but there's not much the Sunmoon can do about that!

I only ate at the restaurant once for lunch and the food was fine and reasonably priced for Perth. The hotel also has small pool, which seemed to be clean and well kept but to be honest I spent most of my time at the beach.

To sum up, The Sunmoon Resort is good value for money, especially for Perth, it has a great location, good service and I would definitely stay there again if I ever make it back to Perth.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, choose a room on the higher floors and off the main road and make sure t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Guliz

Thank you very much for completing this review, the team is really pleased to see that overall you have enjoyed your recent stays with us.

We are very grateful for your constructive comments in regards to bedroom insulation and will look at additional ways to mitigate any impact from connecting bedroom doors. Your point in regards to an adjacent property is well made, our team has picked up on immediate reporting of any matters pertaining to this building to the appropriate city authority, whilst the problem is not completely eliminated, we have seen a marked improvement since routine reporting commenced.

On a lighter note we are delighted to see that you enjoyed all other aspects of the hotel and have marked all those areas as excellent, thank you once again.

We hope to see you soon in extraordinary Western Australia and on our beautiful Sunset Coast. Please do drop me a quite note if you are returning and I will be only too happy to look after your needs, Enjoy the approaching spring/summer season in Cyprus!

Michael Cheung
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Indian Ocean Hotel
Pan Pacific Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#13 of 81 in Perth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,028 reviews

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!