“Be wary, do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Perth, Australia
“Be wary, do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I recently had my parents arrive from overseas for a visit during the Christmas/New Years period.
They left the choice of hotel up to their travel agent and after viewing a couple of choices on-line they decided to go with the Sunmoon Resort.
On arrival we noticed that the Sunmoon resort has at least three different forms of accommodation. The first being the quite nice looking hotel that you see in the photos on the website, the second some small brick bungalow type dwellings and the third a run down block of 1960's flats across the road. I actually said when we arrived that I hoped they were not booked into the latter. I was wrong.
Upon entering the flat after check in I was shocked to say the least. After a quick walk through the rooms I convinced my parents to go down to reception and make a complaint, get an upgrade, refund or something, anything, but it all fell on deaf ears. The receptionist did not care a toss. I was even considering just leaving the place and finding and paying for alternative accommodation elsewhere it was so bad. My parents are seasoned travellers and rated this place up there with some of the worst accommodation they had ever stayed in.
Here are some of the highlights.
Cracked/chipped bathroom sink - not only dangerous but unhygienic also.
Smashed/cracked safety glass in shower - one wall was the glass panel type that has wire running through it and it was smashed as it someone had kicked it in. My mother complained about this as it is a safety hazard and was basically ignored.
All the fittings were from the 1960's or 70's, like the sink and bench, the mis-matched cupboards and the kitchen table, fridge. I think the TV may have come from the 80's.
The main front window that faced the balcony was filthy inside and out. There were hand prints and face prints all over it. I inspected this window for 8 days and it was not touched or let alone cleaned by the cleaners once.
You could see spray marks of some sort of fluid, be it beer,wine or urine perhaps up and along the walls in the main room and in the right light/angle.
Filthy couch and sofa with years of grime under the cushions. These may have come from the 90's.

There seemed to be quite a few people from the UK staying there, I could only imagine what they have told their friends/family about this hovel.
Added to all this it was not cheap at all.
It was really disappointing to see that such accommodation still exists and a real bad example for Perth in general.

Unreal.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Just don't
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Matt H
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Matt H

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback of your parents recent stay here in the Perth area. I am sorry to learn that your parents and yourself were unhappy with the accommodation provided.

I feel it is important for the benefit of other users of this website to clarify that the resort in which your parents have stayed is actually called the Scarborough Observation Resort as oppose to the Sunmoon Boutique Resort. Both Resorts have different identities and different websites. The Sunmoon Boutique Resort is classified as a 4 star property whilst the Scarborough Observation Resort is classified as a 3 star property. I am surprised to hear that your travel agent would book the later and make suggestions that the former was the class of accommodation booked. Both Resorts are managed by the same holding company and I would be happy to speak with the Travel Agent involved to understand more about the reservation stage should you feel that would be appropriate.

With the above said, it is disheartening to hear of your feedback about the condition of the accommodation at the Scarborough Observation Resort. We have clearly got this wrong and rest assured your review is much welcomed so we can get to the root cause of your findings. I was very concerned to read your report on how your feedback was dealt with at the time by our reception team, this is also an area which we are looking at and thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

I understand from your profile that you are resident in the Perth area, please do let me know if you would like to discuss any aspect of your feedback in more detail. My telephone number is 08 9245 8000 extension 409 and I would certainly welcome your call.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Yours sincerely
Michael Cheung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had booked this accommodation for myself and my bridesmaids the night before my wedding to the value of approx $800 (over priced as it is). Due to some very unfortunate family circumstances my wedding was brought forward and planned in 2 weeks. When I contacted the manager to discuss the situation and the possibility of some form of refund - considering the 5 months notice and nature of my circumstances I was expecting to pay a cancellation fee or something. I was abruptly told I should have had travel insurance and they could only refund the breakfast costs. It wasnt the $40 breakfast cost I was particularly worried about rather the $800 of useless accommodation. I didn't think I would need travel insurance for one nights stay 15 mins from home. After arguing the point with the manager she said she would call me back within the day and see what she can do. She rang me back 2 days later to say she has decided she will refund the cheapest room - so they can do refunds but choose when? When I called recently to ensure they hadn't cancelled the other room as I had paid for it and will see if any friends wanted to use it I was told that they are very strict about changing the dates and the rates will probably change. All in all they completely lacked any compassion and understanding and were extremely rude. I will never waste my money here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Casey

Thank you very much for your feedback which has been brought to my attention earlier this morning. Firstly may we congratulate you on your recent wedding and we hope that all went well in the end for you on the actual day.

It is a shame that we did not have the opportunity to speak with each other before your enquiry appears to have escalated to the point of dissatisfaction. My understanding is that you have been speaking with potentially a number of persons here at the Hotel and eventually our Front Office Manager. I have had the opportunity to discuss the matter internally and understand that the conclusion of the various conversations was that we did agree to refund one of the two bedroom reservations. Whilst we do have a policy in place as do most companies in respect to the refund of cancellation fees, we do where possible apply a flexible approach in specific circumstances, I am sorry that you felt our decision did not meet with your satisfaction on this occasion.

It would be good to discuss this matter in more detail with you and I would appreciate you call me directly at the Hotel, my telephone number is 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Once again Casey, thank you for your feedback, I do hope to speak with you soon.

Michael Cheung

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

$180 for a room that could not possibly be smaller and we can hear every word that is said next door. powerpoint is falling off the wall. why is parking not included? Nearby parking options are not secure and management know this thereby almost forcing customers to use their parking. I have stayed in many overpriced hotels in Perth but this one is by far the most over rated. It is now 2.30 am and I can hear every word from the party next door, I hope they use some of the $180 and buy some extra plasterboard.

• Stayed January 2013
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to review the Hotel and I am grateful for you feedback. It is clear that you were unhappy with your stay with us and I apologise that you left the Hotel with this lasting impression.

Equally I am intriqued to hear of the time at which you completed your review. We do like to be able to follow up on guest feedback, we recently introduced what we call 2nd Effort, it is simply our promise to respond to guest requests within 15 minutes irrespective of the time we receive the request. From time to time incidents do happen which give rise to unruly behaviour within the guest rooms, when brought to our attention we do react swiftly and with resolve.

Bedrooms at the Sunmoon fall into a small number of categories, the entry level bedroom a Queen Bedroom could be best described as good in size, that said the majority of bedrooms here at the hotel are oversized, all bedrooms have been recently refurbished. I can confirm for the benefit of other readers of this review, the hotel does have a small number of bedrooms with adjoining doors, aside from that insulation between walls is generally speaking quite good, we do always encourage guests to keep balcony doors, windows closed and take other common sense measures to mitigate any noise impact.

Car Parking at the Sunmoon is priced at $15 per car for a period of 24 hours, at this time we have no plans to review this pricing, although I do appreciate your opinion on this matter. There are plenty of options locally within the village as you quite rightly indicate but as with all car parks including our own, cars are parked at an owners risk, We do have gated parking which reduces elements of risk.

We do hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again. It would be great to hear from you should that be the case, my telephone number is 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Yours sincerely
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I quite liked staying here but it was rather overpriced, especially when I asked to stay an extra day at New Year. However, it was a special time so I put up with it but I discovered when I got back to the UK that they had taken £261 from my credit card after I had left. I challenged them when I realised and they said they had taken these charges because we had smoked in the room and for extra cleaning to the carpet. I do not smoke and noone smoked in the room. There was a balcony outside with a table provided with an ashtray and my visitor did go out and smoke there. We did not dirty the room other than normal use and after all I was there for 10 days so they had ample opportunity to discuss this with me when I was there as the cleaning staff came every day. I am 59 and went there to spend time with my daughter so we went out most of the time and did not have wild parties or make a mess. I think they thought that as I came from the UK they could help themselves to my money and I would not be there to challenge them. I have complained and demanded my money back but they now refuse to reply. They are fraudsters: watch out!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy E
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mrs. Emmott

Thanks so much for staying at The Sunmoon on your recent stay from the UK. This is a very popular resort with guests from your side of the world and by and large the resort enjoys very positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you for your patience whilst we replied to your feedback, I have commenced here at the Hotel on the 2nd January 2013, I am sorry to hear that your stay appears to have been marred by a charge which appeared on your credit card prior to the Hotel’s team discussing the matter with you. Our rooms are of course all non- smoking, although in the event that a room should have a balcony an ashtray is provided on the balcony for guests who may wish to smoke. It is fair to say that should the door of the balcony not be closed at the time there is a high probability that smoke travelled into the bedroom environment. That said I have had the opportunity to speak with both our Executive Housekeeper and Front Office Manager about the matter, It is now our policy to discuss such matters first with a guest prior to charging a guest credit card.

I understand that you have been in contact with our Front Office Manager and a refund of $450.00 was already applied to your credit card on the 23rd January. This refund will appear on your credit card statement.

On a more positive note it is encouraging to read that you enjoyed staying at the Sunmoon Boutique Resort, hotel rooms at New Year’s Eve always come at a premium in Hotels, thank you again for your otherwise positive feedback.

Please feel free to contact me at any stage should you wish to discuss your feedback in more detail, my extension number here at the Hotel is 409.

Our Best Wishes from the Sunmoon Boutique Resort

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago, yes venue has been revamped and renovated but my room was spotless and very clean. Really quiet surroundings until morning when early bird guests start departing from 6am whereupon they walk past your door and you hear luggage being dragged along/conversations/loud foodsteps. Apart from this, restaurant chef & customer service was excellent, beach at your doorstep!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Ms. Stevie

Thanks so much for staying at The Sunmoon, It was our pleasure to be of service to you and we appreciate your feedback following your stay.

Thank you for your patience whilst we replied to your feedback, I have commenced here at the Hotel on the 2nd January 2013, We are really pleased to read that you found the bedroom and its surrounding comfortable, clean and to your satisfaction. We are still in the midst of making some additional changes such as a revised amenity range amongst other finishing touches. Please do accept my apologies should you have encountered noise in the early hours of the morning owing to early departing guests, this matter is well documented and we are exploring options in 2013 to reduce noise connected from this source. On a more positive note, I am really pleased to read that you found our Restaurant and Bar of a high quality, your comments have been passed to the team here as a thank you.

Please feel free to contact me at any stage as I would be delighted to assist you with your future reservation plans should you be returning to The Sunmoon, my extension number at the Hotel is 409.

We wish you a pleasant week ahead.

Perth
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel touts itself as a boutique resort, 5 star on some sites, 4 star on their site, it is aimed at more adult guests. When we arrived we thought the resort looked pretty good. Parking cost an extra $15:00, but we like our car so we accepted that. We booked a King spa room with balcony; there is no privacy or sense of separation with the current "privacy screens". We could even see into the room next door and that was without trying..

The room facilities were quite nice, good kitchen space, bathrobes, good bed.

The waste pipe from the room above, runs through the wardrobe and is not insulated, so everytime water runs in the rooms above you hear it ..loudly...it was like having a hidden water feature in the room.

The spa was filthy with a two inch high yellow ring around it, and the room was not very clean, it very dusty; no matter how many times we wiped the glass tables they were thick with dust in less than half an hour. The curtains were hanging off several of many fo the hooks.
The corridor and stairs very are noisy, concrete and not enclosed so it's like being in noisy flats.
Our first night was okay, the bar/restaurant was nice and the staff were professional and friendly.

The second night was hell. The couple next door were arguing when they checked in, after a couple fo hours nearly everyone in the complex had complained to reception and other guests had voiced their concern for what was occurring in the room next to ours; at one point my husband was going out to our car when he saw them arguing on the common walkway entrance to the rooms, the guy assaulted his girlfriend and abused and threatened my husband. To cut a long story short, we were told the guy would not be allowed back on the premises; he returned at about 11:00pm and knocked on the door to their room for nearly two hours, we were told by staff they had called the police, they had not. It was obvious the woman did not want to open the door to her "partner" yet the hotel did not act or call police, although many guests had alerted staff.
We checked out very early the next morning, we voiced our complaint, the woman on the desk was more concerned that other customers did not hear our compaints; we explained to her that we were customers and we asked for our money back.
My husband received a call from a manager the next day; he was rude and basically said sorry we didn't meet your expectations and offered no resolution. Aside from the dirty room, my husband explained "duty of care" and how it could have ended very badly all round if the guy had assualted him too. We then received an email addressed to another customer addressing a different set of complaints; we phoned the hotel and asked to speak to the manager to alert him to the fact he had sent the wrong email to the wrong customer; he was in a meeting...this was several weeks ago; we are still waiting to hear from him, but we did receive one night room fee back in our account which we found when generally checking our accounts; still no email from a manager, no apology, no "we've refunded you". No customer care, and they need a new vac.

Room Tip: go to Observation City or one of the other nicer places around Scarborough.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P K
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

Thank you for your comments regarding the star rating our Sunmoon Boutique Resort. We notice that you have commented that our site is advertised at 5 star on a unnamed website. We are AAA rated at 4 star's and are very clear that our AAA rating is marketed in-line with the AAA guidelines.

Scarborough offers a range of parking alternatives that are within minutes’ walk from our resort. We offer our guests the option of parking in open area parking bays or for those to choose to park in our fully secure undercover parking with CCTV coverage we do charge a nightly fee.

It was disappointing to learn that the second night of your stay was impacted by the guests accommodated in the neighbouring room. The safety and security of our guests and team members is paramount and we request that all our guests be mindful of others and conduct themselves in a polite fashion. Unfortunately on this occasion one of the registered guests in the room adjoining yours was ejected.

Our apologies are extended that you received correspondence addressed to the incorrect guest. I have discussed this error with our Front Office Manager. I was however pleased to read the correspondence emailed to your email address on the third of October apologising for this error and informing you of the complete refund of your second nights’ accommodation. I note that our accounts team has processed this refund and the receipt of transaction was attached to your second email for perusal.

It was disappointing to learn that room cleanliness fell below standard. I have discussed your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper. We normally pride ourselves on our attention to detail and apologise that we fell short on this occasion.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is through such constructive feedback that we may review our product and services and make any adjustments that may be required.

Yours Sincerely,

Adam McWhirter
Canberra
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had to stay here for 7 nights on a work trip. If I had any choice I would not stay here again. I stayed in a standard queen room facing the back of the resort.
First the good things:
quality clean linen
comfortable bed
Big tv
stylish decor
secure carparking
cleaning service did good job every day (except for turning off the power, which affected the food i had in the bar fridge)

Bad things:
mould in the bathroom (ceiling and tile grouting)
dangerous pooling of water in shower (I was allocated the 'accessible' room)
the policy of upfront charging + $100 deposit. If I pay by credit card anyway, why do they do this?
Unsafe in summer. anyone can enter the complex, and the back facing rooms have windows with flyscreens that could easily be cut through in summer and easily jump in.
Thin walls. I could hear what other rooms were doing (Watching tv, flushing toilets etc)

For a boutique resort, it might be nicer to stay in the 'swankier' rooms to get that 'special' experience. The landscaping of fountains and walkways was lovely.
Note that this resort is NOT on the beach, and overlooks a highway. But it is close to shops and restaurants, which is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was disappointing to learn that your room bathroom cleanliness fell below standard. We have taken your feedback on board and the special facility room that you occupied has been re-grouted. Our apologies are extended that the special facility room that you were allocated did not meet with your expectations. Had we been made aware that this was causing you discomfort during your stay we may have been in a position to extend a room move.

We have recently upgraded the hotel's security so that the only people that can enter the resort are hotel guests as the resort is fully gated, accessible only by guest proximity cards. We do offer our guests the luxury of opening balcony doors and windows to accommodate our guests that choose not to use our climate control air conditioning system. All doors and windows are fully lockable.

Our apologies are extended that your overall stay was impacted by the noise from the adjoining room. For any future reservations we may allocate a room that is not interconnecting. For any future reservations may I suggest our Deluxe Studio Apartments as they offer a balcony, open plan living room and kitchenette facilities.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is through such constructive feedback that we may review our product and make any adjustments that may be required.

Kind Regards,

Adam McWhirter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ocean View Motel
#1 of 1 in North Beach
The Richardson Hotel & Spa
Parmelia Hilton Perth

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!