“Watch out: They have taken $450 dollars from my credit card after I left”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Watch out: They have taken $450 dollars from my credit card after I left”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I quite liked staying here but it was rather overpriced, especially when I asked to stay an extra day at New Year. However, it was a special time so I put up with it but I discovered when I got back to the UK that they had taken £261 from my credit card after I had left. I challenged them when I realised and they said they had taken these charges because we had smoked in the room and for extra cleaning to the carpet. I do not smoke and noone smoked in the room. There was a balcony outside with a table provided with an ashtray and my visitor did go out and smoke there. We did not dirty the room other than normal use and after all I was there for 10 days so they had ample opportunity to discuss this with me when I was there as the cleaning staff came every day. I am 59 and went there to spend time with my daughter so we went out most of the time and did not have wild parties or make a mess. I think they thought that as I came from the UK they could help themselves to my money and I would not be there to challenge them. I have complained and demanded my money back but they now refuse to reply. They are fraudsters: watch out!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy E
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mrs. Emmott

Thanks so much for staying at The Sunmoon on your recent stay from the UK. This is a very popular resort with guests from your side of the world and by and large the resort enjoys very positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you for your patience whilst we replied to your feedback, I have commenced here at the Hotel on the 2nd January 2013, I am sorry to hear that your stay appears to have been marred by a charge which appeared on your credit card prior to the Hotel’s team discussing the matter with you. Our rooms are of course all non- smoking, although in the event that a room should have a balcony an ashtray is provided on the balcony for guests who may wish to smoke. It is fair to say that should the door of the balcony not be closed at the time there is a high probability that smoke travelled into the bedroom environment. That said I have had the opportunity to speak with both our Executive Housekeeper and Front Office Manager about the matter, It is now our policy to discuss such matters first with a guest prior to charging a guest credit card.

I understand that you have been in contact with our Front Office Manager and a refund of $450.00 was already applied to your credit card on the 23rd January. This refund will appear on your credit card statement.

On a more positive note it is encouraging to read that you enjoyed staying at the Sunmoon Boutique Resort, hotel rooms at New Year’s Eve always come at a premium in Hotels, thank you again for your otherwise positive feedback.

Please feel free to contact me at any stage should you wish to discuss your feedback in more detail, my extension number here at the Hotel is 409.

Our Best Wishes from the Sunmoon Boutique Resort

Michael Cheung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago, yes venue has been revamped and renovated but my room was spotless and very clean. Really quiet surroundings until morning when early bird guests start departing from 6am whereupon they walk past your door and you hear luggage being dragged along/conversations/loud foodsteps. Apart from this, restaurant chef & customer service was excellent, beach at your doorstep!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Ms. Stevie

Thanks so much for staying at The Sunmoon, It was our pleasure to be of service to you and we appreciate your feedback following your stay.

Thank you for your patience whilst we replied to your feedback, I have commenced here at the Hotel on the 2nd January 2013, We are really pleased to read that you found the bedroom and its surrounding comfortable, clean and to your satisfaction. We are still in the midst of making some additional changes such as a revised amenity range amongst other finishing touches. Please do accept my apologies should you have encountered noise in the early hours of the morning owing to early departing guests, this matter is well documented and we are exploring options in 2013 to reduce noise connected from this source. On a more positive note, I am really pleased to read that you found our Restaurant and Bar of a high quality, your comments have been passed to the team here as a thank you.

Please feel free to contact me at any stage as I would be delighted to assist you with your future reservation plans should you be returning to The Sunmoon, my extension number at the Hotel is 409.

We wish you a pleasant week ahead.

Michael Cheung
Perth
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel touts itself as a boutique resort, 5 star on some sites, 4 star on their site, it is aimed at more adult guests. When we arrived we thought the resort looked pretty good. Parking cost an extra $15:00, but we like our car so we accepted that. We booked a King spa room with balcony; there is no privacy or sense of separation with the current "privacy screens". We could even see into the room next door and that was without trying..

The room facilities were quite nice, good kitchen space, bathrobes, good bed.

The waste pipe from the room above, runs through the wardrobe and is not insulated, so everytime water runs in the rooms above you hear it ..loudly...it was like having a hidden water feature in the room.

The spa was filthy with a two inch high yellow ring around it, and the room was not very clean, it very dusty; no matter how many times we wiped the glass tables they were thick with dust in less than half an hour. The curtains were hanging off several of many fo the hooks.
The corridor and stairs very are noisy, concrete and not enclosed so it's like being in noisy flats.
Our first night was okay, the bar/restaurant was nice and the staff were professional and friendly.

The second night was hell. The couple next door were arguing when they checked in, after a couple fo hours nearly everyone in the complex had complained to reception and other guests had voiced their concern for what was occurring in the room next to ours; at one point my husband was going out to our car when he saw them arguing on the common walkway entrance to the rooms, the guy assaulted his girlfriend and abused and threatened my husband. To cut a long story short, we were told the guy would not be allowed back on the premises; he returned at about 11:00pm and knocked on the door to their room for nearly two hours, we were told by staff they had called the police, they had not. It was obvious the woman did not want to open the door to her "partner" yet the hotel did not act or call police, although many guests had alerted staff.
We checked out very early the next morning, we voiced our complaint, the woman on the desk was more concerned that other customers did not hear our compaints; we explained to her that we were customers and we asked for our money back.
My husband received a call from a manager the next day; he was rude and basically said sorry we didn't meet your expectations and offered no resolution. Aside from the dirty room, my husband explained "duty of care" and how it could have ended very badly all round if the guy had assualted him too. We then received an email addressed to another customer addressing a different set of complaints; we phoned the hotel and asked to speak to the manager to alert him to the fact he had sent the wrong email to the wrong customer; he was in a meeting...this was several weeks ago; we are still waiting to hear from him, but we did receive one night room fee back in our account which we found when generally checking our accounts; still no email from a manager, no apology, no "we've refunded you". No customer care, and they need a new vac.

Room Tip: go to Observation City or one of the other nicer places around Scarborough.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P K
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

Thank you for your comments regarding the star rating our Sunmoon Boutique Resort. We notice that you have commented that our site is advertised at 5 star on a unnamed website. We are AAA rated at 4 star's and are very clear that our AAA rating is marketed in-line with the AAA guidelines.

Scarborough offers a range of parking alternatives that are within minutes’ walk from our resort. We offer our guests the option of parking in open area parking bays or for those to choose to park in our fully secure undercover parking with CCTV coverage we do charge a nightly fee.

It was disappointing to learn that the second night of your stay was impacted by the guests accommodated in the neighbouring room. The safety and security of our guests and team members is paramount and we request that all our guests be mindful of others and conduct themselves in a polite fashion. Unfortunately on this occasion one of the registered guests in the room adjoining yours was ejected.

Our apologies are extended that you received correspondence addressed to the incorrect guest. I have discussed this error with our Front Office Manager. I was however pleased to read the correspondence emailed to your email address on the third of October apologising for this error and informing you of the complete refund of your second nights’ accommodation. I note that our accounts team has processed this refund and the receipt of transaction was attached to your second email for perusal.

It was disappointing to learn that room cleanliness fell below standard. I have discussed your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper. We normally pride ourselves on our attention to detail and apologise that we fell short on this occasion.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is through such constructive feedback that we may review our product and services and make any adjustments that may be required.

Yours Sincerely,

Adam McWhirter

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Canberra
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had to stay here for 7 nights on a work trip. If I had any choice I would not stay here again. I stayed in a standard queen room facing the back of the resort.
First the good things:
quality clean linen
comfortable bed
Big tv
stylish decor
secure carparking
cleaning service did good job every day (except for turning off the power, which affected the food i had in the bar fridge)

Bad things:
mould in the bathroom (ceiling and tile grouting)
dangerous pooling of water in shower (I was allocated the 'accessible' room)
the policy of upfront charging + $100 deposit. If I pay by credit card anyway, why do they do this?
Unsafe in summer. anyone can enter the complex, and the back facing rooms have windows with flyscreens that could easily be cut through in summer and easily jump in.
Thin walls. I could hear what other rooms were doing (Watching tv, flushing toilets etc)

For a boutique resort, it might be nicer to stay in the 'swankier' rooms to get that 'special' experience. The landscaping of fountains and walkways was lovely.
Note that this resort is NOT on the beach, and overlooks a highway. But it is close to shops and restaurants, which is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was disappointing to learn that your room bathroom cleanliness fell below standard. We have taken your feedback on board and the special facility room that you occupied has been re-grouted. Our apologies are extended that the special facility room that you were allocated did not meet with your expectations. Had we been made aware that this was causing you discomfort during your stay we may have been in a position to extend a room move.

We have recently upgraded the hotel's security so that the only people that can enter the resort are hotel guests as the resort is fully gated, accessible only by guest proximity cards. We do offer our guests the luxury of opening balcony doors and windows to accommodate our guests that choose not to use our climate control air conditioning system. All doors and windows are fully lockable.

Our apologies are extended that your overall stay was impacted by the noise from the adjoining room. For any future reservations we may allocate a room that is not interconnecting. For any future reservations may I suggest our Deluxe Studio Apartments as they offer a balcony, open plan living room and kitchenette facilities.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is through such constructive feedback that we may review our product and make any adjustments that may be required.

Dunsborough, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked this in a bit of a rush on wotif.com as seemed like a reasonable deal, 4 star with breakfast for 2, I was in perth for work and had just stayed 2 nights in a hotel by the airport and extended my trip by one night to have a nice night with my family. Bad move.

Seemed ok on arrival but after paying an additional $15 for a porta cot (which was terrible and so rang reception and they brought us another useless one - exactly the same) and another $15 for parking the good deal was starting to look not so good after all. Room was tiny but ok, certainly not 4 star. Basically heard the whole conversation next door which was off putting.

Went for breakfast the next morning, and the blunt english bird told me it wasnt included. I said it was so she checked with reception who said it wasnt, but I insisted it was and started walking to the car to get the email they sent me which showed it was included, then they came to their senses and agreed it was actually included. The actual food was ok, but i was in a bit of a bad mood by then!

When we left the next day the room we left the used towels etc in the bathroom and the room was in a bit of a mess but nothing a 2 minute tidy up wouldnt fix. An hour after we left the hotel rang and said they were going to charge a $50 cleaning fee, and when i asked why the best they could come up with was they had to deodirise the curtains and put a nappy in the bin that we had missed. As we dont smoke, or use smelly substances I was furious as they were clearly trying to pull one over us, and i asked to speak to a manager before they charged me and not surprisingly i got no phone call but a $55 charge on my card.

There was some ok aspects but all in all it was really disappointing. I stay in perth every 2 or 3 weeks for work, and this is by far the worst place I have stayed in. Wouldnt consider it for a second again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent overnight stay at our Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

We were pleased to learn that our website bed and breakfast package represented good value.

In order to offer the best available rate to our guests we have chosen to charge a fee of $15 per night for guests that require the use of a porta cot. I have discussed your feedback regarding the working condition of our porta cots with our Executive Housekeeper and requested that the cots are reviewed.

Scarborough offers a range of car parking options that are available to the general public that are within minutes of our resort. We have recently upgraded our on-site car park to ensure that it is fully gated, offers CCTV surveillance and is only accessible to our hotel guests. To ensure that we offer all guests the best available room tariff we have chosen to charge our guests that choose to take advantage of our on-site secure car parking.

It was disappointing to learn that your inclusive buffet breakfast was challenged by our food and beverage attendant. I have discussed your experience with our Food and Beverage Manager. We normally pride ourselves on our attention to detail and customer service and apologise that we have fallen down on this occasion.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your additional cleaning fee. As listed on our guest registration card we do reserve the right to charge guests for additional fees to cover cleaning costs that are above what is considered reasonable.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This place is average. Has potential but is just not making the mark. I stayed in a balcony room at the back of the hotel as wanted a 'quiet' location away from road noise. It appears no where in hotel is quiet. You can hear every door open close and suitcases banging up and downstairs as there is poor lift access to rooms. People sitting on their balconies chatting and its like they are in your room. Friday night a couple stayed up chatting to 4am so little sleep that night! And they were on the other side of the hotel on ground level, not next to my room.
The breakfast is very average, they put out one serving in the morning and dont replenish it, so when its gone bad luck. That's possibly why they have the smallest plates available to serve yourself, so you cant take too much food! The service was appalling.
The room itself is nicely appointed.
Room service menu is limited! not much choice at all.
Observation City accross the road is about the same price on wotif specials, and much better value for privacy, and service, even in their unrenovated rooms.
I tried SUnmoon a couple of years ago and was dissapointed. I saw they had undergone renovation so decided to try them again. This is my last try! Never again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at Our Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

We aim to exceed the expectations of all our guests and apologise that we have fallen short on this occasion.

It was disappointing to learn that your overall guest experience was impacted by the noise from other guests within our resort. We do have duty team members on call 24 hours a day to ensure the comfort of our guests.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the range of items available on our in-room dining menu and your breakfast buffet experience. I have discussed your feedback with our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. We normally pride ourselves on our product and customer service.

We would welcome the opportunity to accommodate you on your next visit to Perth from Brisbane.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip as all hotels in the city were booked out and I would definitely stay here again and have told my partner we will come here together. I felt like I was at a resort in Thailand!

Room was of a good size and nice decor, whole resort had a great feel. Restuarant was a bit pricey but amazing food, small portions though, I was still hungry but ate there again the 2nd night as the food was so nice :)

Resort was 2 blocks from the beach and I was able to go for a great run both mornings, really great start to the day!

Highly reccomend!

One criticism was that the fitness center had poor opening hours which meant I couldn't use it at all

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your overall guest experience. It is always very rewarding to share such feedback with our team members.

Thank you for your feedback relating to the opening hours of our gym. Based on your feedback we have amended our opening hours to ensure that they are more in-line with our guests expectations.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next visit to Perth.

Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
The Richardson Hotel & Spa
Seashells Scarborough
Seashells Scarborough
#1 of 9 in Scarborough

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!