“Very expensive motel room”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Was very disappointing as it is simply an overpriced motel room with pretty ordinary service.

Went down at 5:00AM to see if the internet was working & could not get back in my room as the key card deactivated so had to wait till 7:30AM till someone could wake up and man the reception desk - who has reception open mid-morning at a hotel??
Don't ask reception to open the reception door before 7:30AM as the lady behind the desk is unlikely to get off the chair to address the needs of a customer in a very highly priced room - I think the word resort is a bit loosely used.

Looks like the boom has created the rip off mentality in Perth - we don't care about service and can charge what we want - take it or leave it.....

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff P
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

We aim to exceed the expectations of all our guests and apologise that we fell short on this occasion.

It was disappointing to learn that you locked yourself out of your guest room in the early hours of the morning. We do provide a on call emergency number and intercom that is listed in our guest compendium and at the main reception area of our resort. Team members are available to our guests 24 hours a day.

We do hope that we are afforded the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here last year on a annual meeting which the company booked out 5 rooms and nothing's changed this year.

Il start with mine

- I could hear the person next to me cough, take a whizz and talk on the phone. Unacceptable.
- I had no hot water what so ever, I called up reception who said he would have a look at the gas, didn't call back to say he fixed it or acknowledged a problem at all.

My workmates room

- basically in an attic. If there was a fire he would be dead. Wooden stairs, on top of the restraunt, no railing on those stairs. Incredibly hot (and this was in may)

We only stay here because work has chosen this hotel, your getting over $1500/night with us alone and I can happily say you won't be getting out business again.

• Stayed: May 2012
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear Funkshen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

It was disappointing to learn that your overall guest experience was impacted due to noise from your adjoining room. For any future reservations please contact us to request a non-interconnecting room.

Our apologies are extended that you experienced a lack of hot water. I have discussed your experience with our Maintenance Manager and Reception Manager. We do not normally receive feedback of this nature.

I can assure that all our Summon Boutique Resort Rooms comply with relevant fire safety codes and all rooms also offer individually controlled reverse cycle air-conditioning units to maximise guest comfort.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is through such constructive feedback that we may review our product and service.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this resort. This time we stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. This was a two storey room which was huge. The bathroom was clean and modern and so was the room. The only downside is that the balcony is connected to the room next to it – so lacked privacy.

Would recommend this boutique hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Guest

We are writing to say thank you for your review and feedback of the Sunmoon Boutique Resort. We are pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay here at the Hotel. This year is an exciting year for the Hotel as we have just completed the refurbishment of all bedrooms and apartments here at the Resort and are looking forward to continuing to develop out team to deliver genuine and memorable experiences.

It would be great to see you back at the Hotel sometime soon, upon my commencement at the Hotel in January ,I have been taking time to speak with our regular guests and to understand the needs, we are excited to have opportunities to improve on our service levels as a result. For any advance reservation requirements which you may have feel free to call me at any time.

We do wish you a pleasant day and see you soon at the Sunmoon.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Perth, Western Australia, has a serious shortage of inexpensive comfortable hotels. It is very advisable to book and confirm accommodation in Perth well in advance of travel.

We arranged a booking 2 days before traveling to Perth for a 1 week holiday and were able to confirm just 3 nights at Sunmoon hotel.

Sunmoon is an older Scarborough hotel which has been renovated (rooms modernized).
Rooms are basic standard motel-style, and price about right at AUD$155 per night (higher peak season prices are over-priced for the standard).

Sunmoon is quite handy walking distance to convenience stores and lots of restaurants and take-away food shops.

Don't expect much more than basic service, though staff are polite and generally helpful.

Avoid the attic rooms if you have small kids - there is an internal staircase without safety guard.

Room Tip: Be sure to specifically ask for a balcony if you need. And ask for non-attic room if you have tod...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Daz811

Dear Daz

We are writing to say thank you for your review and feedback of the Sunmoon Boutique Resort. I am pleased to see that overall you have enjoyed your stay here at the Hotel. This year is an exciting year for the Hotel as we have just completed the refurbishment of all bedrooms and apartments here at the Resort and are looking forward to continuing to develop out Team to deliver genuine and memorable experiences. I would suggest that the style of décor chosen for the bedrooms would be a step above motel standards for sure but appreciate your opinion on this aspect. Please do accept my apologies for any delay with our reply, I have commenced here at the Hotel in January this year.

We do have some great balcony bedrooms which offer a nice twist to many rooms here at the Hotel, they are bookable for a small premium and can be booked on our own home website so in a way a balcony room if booked is guaranteed. Our guests are always welcome to request an upgrade, usually we can only make this decision on the morning of arrival however so best book from the start to avoid disappointment. With my short time here I can see many guests book the Balcony rooms for special occasions, it would not be uncommon for us to serve chilled Champagne and strawberries there!

Thank you for your comments with regards to the location of the Hotel, approximately 3 minutes from an amazing beach and the Indian Ocean and yet minutes- walk from the ever regenerating Scarborough Village and many bus routes with good connections. The Beach itself is nestled between City & Floreat Beach to the south and North & Trigg Beach to the North, we highly recommend a bicycle hire which we can assist with and a ride on the secluded bicycle lanes of the West Coast Highway, a breathtaking view at every corner.

We are very excited to have the opportunity to review our service foundations in 2013 and the team is really engaged in the delivery of genuine and memorable experiences. Thank you for your comments regarding the politeness of the team which is really appreciated.

It would be great to see you soon and feel free to call me at any stage, we would be delighted to assist you with any booking requirements.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Well i have just returned from Perth for business and stayed at the sun moon resort (my normal hotel was unavailable), this place is well presented however it lacks in certain things that would make a holiday. The rooms were ok if you just wanted a room but could do with a major overhaul - which is a problem because i think its near new. The restaraunt is small and does not cater for people who are early risers as it opens at 6.30am but serves ok meals considering. The location is fantastic with scarborough beach a 3 minute walk and coles only a couple of minutes up the road. The area is safe during the day but a darker side emerges when the sun goes down and walks around the town should be reconsidered (this is not the hotels fault though), all in all its not bad if the price is right!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 8Aussietravellers8

Dear Guest

We are writing to say thank you for your review and feedback of the Sunmoon Boutique Resort. I am pleased to see that overall you have enjoyed your stay here at the Hotel. This year is an exciting year for the Hotel as we have just completed the refurbishment of all bedrooms and apartments here at the Resort and are looking forward to continuing to develop out Team to deliver genuine and memorable experiences. If there was a particular aspect of the room that you would change do let me know and we will be pleased to look at this on any future stay which you have.

I am pleased to report that we are in the midst of reviewing our food & beverage offering for the early riser, menu developments will include an express breakfast (designed as a take away option), an extended overnight dining menu and of course a full room service breakfast menu, these three items together with revised opening times at the Sunmoon Restaurant will offer a plethora of choice for the early riser and will be in place soon. Our Restaurant is best described as intimate, a 60 seater dining room which offers a lovely menu, recently we have added an additional seating option Al Fresco for a further 50-60 guests and again here we will introduce an all- day Al Fresco dining menu soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

My daughter and her boyfriend paid $300 to stay one to attend a wedding. Before booking and paying they called to confirm if they could check in early as they were traveling from Albany to attend a wedding that afternoon.
On arrival they were informed because they were nearly fully booked the previous day they could not offer early checking, even though it had been confirmed. When I called the resort to explain the situation I was at first dealt with very rudely. After stating the facts of them not following through on the service offered and much discussion on why my daughter should have to wait 4 hours after guests have checked out for one room I finally managed to get them to contact housekeeping to prepare her room for checkin within the hour. I have travelled all over the world and AUD $300 gets you service unparralled within Australia.
Management need to review both their front of house staff and the quality of their customer service!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Paula F
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2012

Dear Paula,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

Our apologies are extended that your daughters request for an earlier check in prior to our advertised check in time of 2pm was not met. We do try to accommodate all guest requests were possible.

It was disappointing to learn that the customer service afforded to your daughter from our Front Office team fell below standard. I have discussed your feedback with our Front Office team. We normally pride ourselves on our customer service.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review our resort. It is through such constructive feedback that we may review our product and service and make any adjustments that may be required.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed here rather frequent on business due to its location. Unfortunately I found staff rather abrupt and rude. Roaches in the room, half full fridges. However what pushed me over the edge was simply a "lost" Reservation which resulted in increasing the price from 200 to 240 aud allthough I have been a regular and was after 6 nights mid of November. I am traveling a lot and don't inderstand their attitude. Very unfortunate. Cancelled all my bookings and will not come back.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Toaster4711
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Upon commencement at the Hotel this January 2013, the team and I have set about on a number of new and very exciting initiatives all aimed at ultimately increasing guest satisfaction and loyalty to our brand. Of course both the Sunmoon Boutique Resort and Scarborough Village itself have come a long way since your particular stay.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay, you have the teams’ and my personal assurance of an altogether better experience the next time around.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Michael Cheung

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Scarborough
Ramada Vetroblu Scarborough Beach
Indian Ocean Hotel
#2 of 6 in Scarborough
Ocean View Motel
#1 of 1 in North Beach
West Beach Lagoon
#3 of 6 in Scarborough

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!