“Horrible place - stay away” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunmoon Boutique Resort

Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Perth
“Horrible place - stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

I paid $230 per night for a two bedroom villa which would rate as probably one star if that. Ceiling in the shower has mould. The paint on the ceiling was peeling and the patch up job on the ceiling was terrible. The smoke alarm was hanging from the ceiling and not functional. The verticle blinds had blades missing. Pots, pans and cuttlery was totally inadequate. When it rained, every now and then you could hear a gush of water on the ceiling, ie, a leak in the roof somewhere. I'm in the accommodation business and know what is good value. It's probably worth about $85 per night.

I later mamaged to find a four star self contained apartment in Northbridge. Great value. Nigel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Upon commencement at the Hotel this January 2013, the team and I have set about on a number of new and very exciting initiatives all aimed at ultimately increasing guest satisfaction and loyalty to our brand. Of course both the Sunmoon Boutique Resort and Scarborough Village itself have come a long way since your particular stay.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay, you have the teams’ and my personal assurance of an altogether better experience the next time around.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Michael Cheung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Either the previous reviewers of this resort have overly high expectations or were just plain unlucky.

I've stayed here twice in the last 12 months I believe I have received what I paid for, if not a little more.

During my first trip it was my partner and I spending a few days in Perth. The young lady at the reception was unfailingly polite and professional whilst the rooms where fine. Plenty of space, the bathroom was good with a nice shower and the only gripe I have is that it would be nice if they could provide a small table for luggage rather than having the leave suitcases on the floor.

We had intended to eat out but got lazy and tried their restaurant. Firstly the young waitress was one of the most friendly people I have ever met. Being a filthy smoker she still set up a small table for me in outdoor bar area so I could at least sit down rather than having to hide out the back.

Secondly, the food was absolutely amazing, simply, fresh and oh so tasty.

The second time we visited was 6 months later. asked for a spa room. The lady at the reception made a mistake and allocated us a standard room but this was quickly fixed. The spa room did face the road and the views were not all the spectacular thanks to that ugly monstrosity called Observation City and a service station. But with that said get off your butt people, walk the 5 minutes to the beach and enjoy a Perth sunset over a few Corona's.

However, the icing on the cake was when we went to dinner. The same waitress was there and she remembered our names and seemed genuinely happy to see us. I'll be back, even just to visit the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sven

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your lovely feedback which is much appreciated..

Ballarat, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

The lady of the house chose this property whilst we waited for a flight back from Exmouth. When we arrived I checked the previous reports and battened down for the worst.

Sun moon is NOT a resort.
It is a cheaply constructed,acoustically challenged motel on the wrong side of a busy highway in a beachside suburb of Perth . It was cool and raining during our stay and yet we heard every other guest arrive and depart the basement car park, heard the alcohol fueled discussions of other guests on the open rear facing balcony,the partying surfies in the property behind the "resort" and the screams of what sounded to me like a murder in progress but was reassured by the lady of the house was simply the satisfied sounds of a woman visiting a guest in the next room. I suppose she was right as murders don't happen 4 times a night in one room!.

I hate to think what the noise levels are like in mid summer when a high percentage of guests come for the surf and mating......
The rooms are basic for a 1 star motel. The tiny refrigerator sits on the floor whilst the small TV sits on a low bench. It is not a flat screen model.
The much maligned laundry noted in other reports is out of commission permanently. The linen and drapes were clean but drab. Air-conditioning which allows guests to seal off the room from the acoustic nightmare outside was faulty.
When we checked out at 4am to catch a fight we were drenched by a tropical downpour, as we were when going to the restaurant for dinner the previous night.at this "resort" it rains ,you get wet.
Service and food at the restaurant was the ONLY saving grace. Reception staff were also friendly and helpful.
I noticed that no guests were allocated a road facing room as these have been heavily criticized in past reports.
This motel would ok in mid summer for it's beach proximity however guests would need to be heavily intoxicated or deaf to avoid the serious pitfalls of the property.swimming is permitted in the pool only in daylight.
The property is an architectural nightmare. Way too expensive, imparts a sense of shabbiness not experienced since London and should reassigned as anything but a $180 a night motel.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank jlsanders

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

I dont like writing bad reviews but this place charged a lot of money for very little. We booked a queen spa room, the walls were very thin, we could hear everything in the rooms either side and above us and we were facing a very busy main road so the traffic noise didnt stop. Only half of the spa baths jets actually worked and our tv had a fuzzy tinge to it so we couldnt watch that either. Our queen bed was actually to king size single mattress' pushed together so we kept falling down in the middle of them. Breakfast was included in the price, it was a self service buffet of a few cereals, toast and some fruit. The coffee was instant and had to be the worst cup i have ever had!
From the outside the place looks really nice and the restaurant serves beautiful dinner meals, but there isn't much else going for it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Michael Cheung

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

2 years ago I stayed in the Scarborough Backpackers ( Sunmoon hotel is part of the chain of Scarborough apartments) for 2 nights and was given very good service. So good that despite the not so good feedback in this page about Sunmoon, I decided I will try them out. So I booked 3 nights at Sunmoon this time. I arrived at 6pm and asked if I could have a balcony with a seaview. Was told not possible since I did not request it beforehand and the last room facing the sea had been sold. Sensing my disappointment, the male receptionist was really very attentive and thoughtful and deserved to be acknowleged pity i did not ask for his name, took a reasonable amount of time checking room availability and offered me the one with the seaview for the 2nd night and afterwhich the same room for the 3rd. I could tell he was trying his best.

After I checked in I found the room reasonably ok and to avoid the hassle i decided to have the same room for three nights. The balcony that I got faced the back of the other rooms and also plenty of greenery but the only thing was my neighbour smoked out in the balcony, so i make good by only having a coffee in the balcony when she is out in the mornings.

However, i later checked out the room facing the sea but disappointed cos u can only see part of the sea, the other part, blocked by the petrol station. Oh before I forgot, the cups and glasses in the room have marks on them ! a setback... and one of the towels given to me has yellow stain on it and that scared me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

Unfortunately, we had prepaid the accommodation at this "resort" as we travelling with a group of people in Perth for a masters swimming meet. On arrival we were told there was a problem with our 2 bedroom villa unit and we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment. It turned out to be a grubby, poorly furnished, one bedroom unit with a mazzanine floor with some single beds which was back packer style accommodation. The room was entirely unsuitable for 2 couples. We departed to Observation City across the road for the evening. Next day, given that we had pre-paid the accommodation, we returned to the Sunmoon and the 2 bedroom villa unit was now available. The unit was no better than the apartment. Grubby, poorly furnished and equipped. The hot water service made a loud bang every time you turned on the tap. I tried to negotiate a refund of the first night's accommodation as could not stay in the room provided and was told the manager would get back to me. That didn't happen. Do not stay at the Sunmoon Resort. It is back packers standard or less.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TerryH12

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Rooms are extremely small & simple - & we paid extra for a balcony with view room. Bathrooms are tiny. Restaurant provided poor service and almost half the meals were unavailable. We wanted to order desert but there was nothing available on the evening. We stayed 3 night and were kept awake each night. Level 2 rooms are on top of the carpark so we could hear every car come and go. All rooms are accessed via outdoor balconies (concrete floor). We were woken by every person walking past in thongs (morning & night)! Laundry room backed onto our bedroom. Although the sign on the door stated that it closed at 8pm, guests were still useing dryers at 11:30pm. When we called reception to complain they did nothing! Dryers were used for another hour!! This was not a relaxing "resort" & provided no value for money!! I would sincerely reccomend people against staying here! Pay that little bit extra & stay at the Rendevous!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Michael Cheung
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ocean View Motel
Ocean View Motel
#1 of 1 in North Beach
Quality Resort Sorrento Beach

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!