“Nor worth the money”

Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
“Nor worth the money”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I dont like writing bad reviews but this place charged a lot of money for very little. We booked a queen spa room, the walls were very thin, we could hear everything in the rooms either side and above us and we were facing a very busy main road so the traffic noise didnt stop. Only half of the spa baths jets actually worked and our tv had a fuzzy tinge to it so we couldnt watch that either. Our queen bed was actually to king size single mattress' pushed together so we kept falling down in the middle of them. Breakfast was included in the price, it was a self service buffet of a few cereals, toast and some fruit. The coffee was instant and had to be the worst cup i have ever had!
From the outside the place looks really nice and the restaurant serves beautiful dinner meals, but there isn't much else going for it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Upon commencement at the Hotel this January 2013, the team and I have set about on a number of new and very exciting initiatives all aimed at ultimately increasing guest satisfaction and loyalty to our brand. Of course both the Sunmoon Boutique Resort and Scarborough Village itself have come a long way since your particular stay.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay, you have the teams’ and my personal assurance of an altogether better experience the next time around.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Michael Cheung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 15, 2011

2 years ago I stayed in the Scarborough Backpackers ( Sunmoon hotel is part of the chain of Scarborough apartments) for 2 nights and was given very good service. So good that despite the not so good feedback in this page about Sunmoon, I decided I will try them out. So I booked 3 nights at Sunmoon this time. I arrived at 6pm and asked if I could have a balcony with a seaview. Was told not possible since I did not request it beforehand and the last room facing the sea had been sold. Sensing my disappointment, the male receptionist was really very attentive and thoughtful and deserved to be acknowleged pity i did not ask for his name, took a reasonable amount of time checking room availability and offered me the one with the seaview for the 2nd night and afterwhich the same room for the 3rd. I could tell he was trying his best.

After I checked in I found the room reasonably ok and to avoid the hassle i decided to have the same room for three nights. The balcony that I got faced the back of the other rooms and also plenty of greenery but the only thing was my neighbour smoked out in the balcony, so i make good by only having a coffee in the balcony when she is out in the mornings.

However, i later checked out the room facing the sea but disappointed cos u can only see part of the sea, the other part, blocked by the petrol station. Oh before I forgot, the cups and glasses in the room have marks on them ! a setback... and one of the towels given to me has yellow stain on it and that scared me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Unfortunately, we had prepaid the accommodation at this "resort" as we travelling with a group of people in Perth for a masters swimming meet. On arrival we were told there was a problem with our 2 bedroom villa unit and we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment. It turned out to be a grubby, poorly furnished, one bedroom unit with a mazzanine floor with some single beds which was back packer style accommodation. The room was entirely unsuitable for 2 couples. We departed to Observation City across the road for the evening. Next day, given that we had pre-paid the accommodation, we returned to the Sunmoon and the 2 bedroom villa unit was now available. The unit was no better than the apartment. Grubby, poorly furnished and equipped. The hot water service made a loud bang every time you turned on the tap. I tried to negotiate a refund of the first night's accommodation as could not stay in the room provided and was told the manager would get back to me. That didn't happen. Do not stay at the Sunmoon Resort. It is back packers standard or less.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank TerryH12

Michael Cheung

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Rooms are extremely small & simple - & we paid extra for a balcony with view room. Bathrooms are tiny. Restaurant provided poor service and almost half the meals were unavailable. We wanted to order desert but there was nothing available on the evening. We stayed 3 night and were kept awake each night. Level 2 rooms are on top of the carpark so we could hear every car come and go. All rooms are accessed via outdoor balconies (concrete floor). We were woken by every person walking past in thongs (morning & night)! Laundry room backed onto our bedroom. Although the sign on the door stated that it closed at 8pm, guests were still useing dryers at 11:30pm. When we called reception to complain they did nothing! Dryers were used for another hour!! This was not a relaxing "resort" & provided no value for money!! I would sincerely reccomend people against staying here! Pay that little bit extra & stay at the Rendevous!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 3, 2011

when we go there parking spaces were tight and were hard to get in and out of the reception was nice and the receptionist was nice, we got out bags up to our room with the hidden elevator but when we got to the room we noticed a few things including the room was not what we paid for we booked the spa queen room with balcony it had no balcony but had spa and there was not a big enough window to get air into the room we went down to reception and explained the room was not what we aSKed but the only way they could fix it was take us to another hotel down the road with balcony but no spa and we could get changed into another room the next day they provided us with a free dinner wine but there was a set menu and there was food on there i had never eaten and was food not suitable for children we the only thing we really ate during dinner was the lamb and potato the rest went to waist as it wasn't very nice even the desert was chocolate cake which was very dry so with little of food i ended up eating chips in the room also the pool was not for use after 6pm the breakfast wasn't what in other hotels i ate bacon eggs toast and more there wasn't much i ate croissants and orange juice which both juices were very diluted we went back up the room went for a swim the pool was nice but no place to put your key that was high so other children wouldn't get them we got changed rooms at 11pm the other room was a lot nicer they had a newer TV there other room had a TV older then my own at home and the balcony was nice except i notice big black stains on the curtains that were very noticeable and u could see every body else on there balcony's through slats and everybody Else's conversations not very private and some hotel guests were very loud with yelling, the spa in the new suite only half of the jets worked and i noticed there was 2 lights in the bathroom and the other room night before a globe was blown and not replaced, we also asked for more towels but the cleaners who i spoke to outside the room knew nothing of our requests so had to ask again, we ended up leaving at 10:30 when we left the lift was closed and we had to pull our bags own flight of stairs not good for guest that are old or in wheelchairs wishing to go out during the night, we were not comfortable and felt better in our own house i felt so bad leaving as it was meant to be a relaxing weekend away and explained to the hotel had to leave due to family matters but i was sick of the continues disappointment i would not recommend this hotel to friends or and especially to family's or people with disabilities, i have stayed in hotels that have been cheaper cleaner nicer and more understanding better food and longer hours of pool use and more equipped for different type of groups and guests also the hotel manger would only refund me $50 for my late departure when in previous times other hotels have given me a full refund and later on a email of apology i personally think this hotel is more interested in making money rather then making there guest happy

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 17, 2010

I stayed with my partner at the sunmoon resort in October.
I was concerned reading the reviews.... but once we arrived at the hotel our minds were put at rest.
The reception staff were very friendly and efficient on check in.
The 2 bedroom apartment was spacious and very clean, and the balcony was perfect to watch the sunset!

We dined in the restaurant on the first night and the food and service was great.

The Customer service we recieved was amazing and ive already booked to stay again for our anniversary next month.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amelia060
Dear Amelia

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some years after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your really nice feedback about both our accommodation and restaurant facilities.

Perth
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Staff at reception very good arranged a extra room for us as we ended up with 2 extra kids , Room at front noisy as expected on edge of highway 2nd room at rear appeared quieter until the 'family from hell' started above us.
Breakfast , what a joke advertised as 2 eggs bacon or sausages fruit juice and coffee, had to help ourselves to cold sliced tomatoes sliced sandwich cheese ,sandwich ham and a bowl of cold eggs which we thought were raw until we saw a guest cut one open to reveal hard boiled.
Check the mini bar as about half the items listed were not in the fridge !

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank PerthPedro

Michael Cheung
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ocean Beach Hotel
Ocean Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cottesloe
The Richardson Hotel & Spa

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!