All reviewsindie barfree continental breakfastfifth floorolder style hotelmovie channelsdeluxe roomshort walk to the beachsecure parkingrooms are cleanwithin easy walking distanceovernight staybalcony doordown stairsindytariffmicrowave
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Stayed at the Indian Pacific November 2011. Yes, it is basic but value for money considering the location, however, it appears not much time spent on basics. As you arrive it's untidy appearance, could easily be solved by a broom and basic gardening. The reception area is not inviting and staff were not friendly. Room was a good size and clean, however, toilet in shower would not be suitable for elderly or disabled.

Room Tip: Rooms 3rd floor and above as music most nights
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I think I need to put the record straight about the Indian Ocean Hotel because it's actually a very reasonable hotel.

My wife, 19month toddler and I flew out from the UK to Perth mid November for a total of 15 nights via Emirates. Having done some research we decided to stay in Scarborough beach due to its excellent beach and relative closeness to Perth city centre.

Reading some of the Trip advisor reviews of the Indian Ocean Hotel we decided to stay initially for 4 nights, figuring that if it was as bad as was being made out by some reviewers that we could move onto a different hotel. However, on our arrival we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and the staff.

We arrived late in the evening from a gruelling 19 hour flight from the UK and were greeted by one of the reception staff who welcomed us and advised us on breakfast in the morning and gave us the key to our room on the 4th floor.

The room itself was perfectly acceptable having a good sized double bed for us and a single bed for our toddler. The room had coffee and tea making facilities plus a microwave and fridge so was ideal for eating in and cooling the bottled water that we had brought with us. A 32” flat-screen LCD TV was hung on the wall which also had access to a couple of movie channels as well as the normal news channels. A air-conditioning unit with remote control was installed should it become too warm in the room.

The bathroom was clean enough being fully tiled so no complaints there and had a shower fitted - though sadly no bath.

I'm not sure whether this is the norm in Australia, but there was no two pin shaver socket in the bathroom (or anywhere else for that matter) and despite calling down to reception, all the universal worldwide adapters they stocked didn't fit the two pin plug of the Braun shaver cable so unfortunately I did start looking like captain Birds Eye for a few days until I picked up a cheap electric shaver [NOTE: bring along a three pin shaver adapter before visiting Australia].

Aside from this spiky issue, we ventured down to the breakfast area on the ground floor to be greeted by some friendly staff members who made the trip very enjoyable. All the staff we encountered spared a few moments to say hi and assist us whenever necessary. Certainly the staff were kept busy clearing tables in the breakfast area so there were always plenty of clean tables to sit down too and bread and orange juice topped up. The continental breakfast was perfectly acceptable to us, with out toddler having great enjoyment with the toast and marmalade. We made our own coffee or tea and everything worked like clockwork. His 'squeaky' arrival into the breakfast bar was always met with smiles.

We decided to stay for the the remaining ten days in the Indian Ocean Hotel so the receptionists worked hard to allocate empty rooms to allow us to stay longer which must have had them kept busy because the hotel was nearly always fully booked. Our total length of stay was 15 nights of which we tried out four rooms from the most basic to the luxury and I can honestly say that they were all perfectly acceptable for a 3 star hotel. Granted the luxury rooms were bigger, but all the rooms that we stayed in came with kettle, tea, coffee making facilities, fridge and microwave, air-conditioning, LCD TV. It's just that the luxury rooms were slightly bigger, better finished, and came with nicer bathrooms.

I should mention that there is an Indie Bar attached to the hotel which is unbelievably popular in the evenings, so I guess that the noise levels on the lower levels must be quite loud if the balcony door is left open. We personally never noticed it very much after spending our days out sightseeing, once our heads hit the pillows we were out for the count. Most of the rooms were double-glazed so the noise level was minimal.

Contrary to what has been said in some of the earlier posts, from this room we could see the sea from the balcony and the same can be said of several other rooms that we stayed in. Granted the hotel isn't situated right on the beach but nevertheless the beach can be seen in the distance. To anyone interested. The walk to the beach takes approx five minutes.

The hotel itself had a feel of being family owned with all the staff being very friendly and offering advice as and when it was required.

We didn't have a car having travelled over by taxi, but the hotel does have ample free car parking spaces at the front and the side of the hotel so there are no problems on that score.

To anyone considering staying at the Indian Ocean Hotel I can say hand on heart yes do try it. It's not a 5 star establishment and you shouldn't expect that level of service. What it offers is a decent quality, friendly service for a reasonable rate. As a 3 star hotel it is spot-on. Yes there are small areas that need improving, but overall its good value for money.

The only gripe that I can think of is the wifi/broadband access which really ought to be free, though feel that perhaps we have been spoiled in the UK where nearly all wifi in hotels is free and is regarded as a freebie to get sales reps to stay in the hotels. C'mon IOH, do us all a favour and provide free complimentary wifi in the hotel rooms and bar area. I would rather have that than free coffee!

Would we stay again at the Indian Ocean Hotel, well yes we would.

Can I take this opportunity to thank all the members of staff who were so kind to us whilst we stayed at the hotel. Mr Squeaky particularly enjoyed the nearby park which was recommended to us by one of the staff.

P.S. As a footnote, when someone asks me what I was doing on the 11/11/11 at 11:11am I can say I was sat on Scarborough beach near Perth with my wife and toddler, enjoying the warmth, the sunshine and listening to the waves crashing down with beautiful clear blue skies overhead. Not many people can say that can they?

Room Tip: Higher level rooms will have less noise from the Indy bar - having said that, with the double glazing it is hardly a major issue - we slept through every night we stayed there! UK visitors, don't forget to bring a three pin shaver adapter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 4027UK
Reviewed December 8, 2011

It really is like stepping back to the late 70's/80's when you get to the IOH. It's certainly not where you'd take a loved one hoping on some romance. It's clean and basic and 5 mins from Scarbs beach. Location wise it's perfect for Scarborough. It's great value for money especially given PErth's hotels are horrifically overpriced. So if you're like me a just want somewhere clean to lay your head, go for it. If you want the wow factor best you stay elsewhere. There's live music on most nights at the hotel but you'd hardly know it from the 3rd floor rooms, we didn't hear a thing. The locked/security parking was a good touch. Breakfast was included and was again, like the hotel, basic but did the job. Staff were friendly and helpful. Pool was out of order for the 2 days we were there which was annoying. Definetely consider it if you want to spend your money on better things rather than accom.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shari F
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Things I liked about this hotel:
1. Value for money. Got a $105.00 per night deal from Agoda
2. Near the beautiful beach
3. Attention to detail. Pump up soap in the bathroom both near the sink and in the shower. Tissues provided. Shampoo & conditioner provided
4. Shower was good, shower rose set back from entrance.
5. Plenty of chairs in room.
6. Washing line on balcony & the washing got dry in a trice.

Neutral: Size of room. A bit small but didn't bother me

Things I didn't like:

1. The continental breakfast was very basic, although it was free. Could include yoghurt or some classy muesli. Did include fruit which was nice. Cooked breakfast which I had one day was good.

2. Low level, high pitched noise, probably from some rooftop air conditioning system, was apparent at all times. Did not prevent sleep.

3. Air conditioner was good and effective though very noisy and needed very often because, as soon as it was switched off, the room became very hot in a very short time. There was no window to open at night. The only alternative would have been to prop the door to the balcony open at night and suffer the mosquitoes.

4. (And this really annoyed me) When the sink was used, the water ran on to the back edge of the sink and then directly around to the front so that if any part of your clothing touched the front of the sink, it would become wet. This was apparent from my first use of the sink shortly after moving in. We had to roll up the bathmat and keep it around the front of the sink. If there is to be a reno, this should be given top priority.

Room Tip: Try the sink first
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Spent 3 nights here at the end of November. It's a pretty good location being fairly close to the centre and within easy walking distance of Scarborough beach. The immediate area around the hotel isn't fantastic, but what you'd expect for the price.

The building itself is fairly dated and could really do with a revamp, but again, not surprising for the price. The included breakfast is pretty basic - toast, jams and cereal. But you can order a cooked breakfast that's not particularly expensive.

Unfortunately the pool was empty during our stay, which surprised us a little considering it was basically December, and the other hotels in the area had them filled.

The rooms weren't a bad size, and apart from the odd bit of damage were kept pretty clean. Although the windows did keep out a lot of noise it can still get a little loud due to the bar attached, but while we were there it was pretty quiet by 11/12. And the staff seemed fine, although either a little rushed or a little quiet.

For a budget hotel you could do worse and probably do slightly better.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple