Seashells Scarborough
Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough(Scarborough)(Great Value!)
$126
Indian Ocean Hotel(Scarborough)
$69
$64
Agoda.com
Ramada Vetroblu Scarborough Beach(Perth)(Great Value!)
$113
$103
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Ocean View Motel(North Beach)
$70
$65
Agoda.com
Quality Resort Sorrento Beach(Sorrento)(Great Value!)
$134
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
West Beach Lagoon(Scarborough)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbedroom apartmentmain buildingfirst floorthese apartmentsreception staff were very helpfulwasher dryerpots and panscoles supermarketlovely apartmentacross the roadfull kitchenlaundry roomlarge balconysmall shoppingliving areaindian oceanwild fig
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed for 4 nights during October, just one person in a 2 bedroom apartment. I appreciated Seashells for taking me, after I had been ousted by the Quest in Scarborough (read my review for them!!).
Seashells is definitely dated, paint flaking in parts, quite dark inside the kitchen area of the apartment. But this place would be well suited for some, especially those with younger children who like to go the beach (which is across the road, through a car park) and use the swimming pool. Yes, the key system is weird, and the front desk not manned for very long hours. But the staff were always accommodating, and very pleasant when I saw them.
I would suggest to management that the cleanliness of the rooms have more attention paid to them. The bathroom was not spotless, and the kitchen stainless steel areas dull and grubby looking.
The kitchen had good amenities if you wanted to cook in. The apartment had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke when I arrived, so I left the sliding doors open constantly, and this smell had abated by the end of my trip. It does say no smoking in the apartments, but I query as to how this rule is applied, since staff are very seldom there, especially on weekends.
The major thing going for Seashells is the view across to the water (even though it is over a car park), you get the good sea air. I would have liked the apartment to be more open, but this is a structural thing they can't really fix.
There is a very good new cafe that has opened just down the road, which I can recommend.
I would say this place is not recommended for business travellers.
My portable wifi device worked beautifully in the apartment, so I didn't have to pay for the Seashells wifi.
There is not much competition in Scarborough, and I think Seashells would be near the top of a very droopy bunch.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank freddiefrog
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed here for two weeks with my family. Seashells is in a great position with spectacular views of the Indian ocean and the surf and handy to the city and northern side of town. This may have been 4.5 star standard accommodation when it first opened but since then it is gradually being run into the ground. We found the following during our stay.

After-hours key access was via a dodgy combination lock - lucky our keys were even in the box when we arrived; not a good start.

The flat metal access tokens for the carpark, lift etc are difficult to use and it looks like a nail file would probably be more effective than these things anyway. Secure?

The undercover secure carparks (there are two separate ones) are only 75% undercover and very tight to navigate many of the spaces that are not reserved for permanent residents. Fancy parking your hire car below someone's balcony where it's exposed to rain/hail/bottles/cigarette butts etc??

Very little maintenance appears to have been done on the apartment and what has been done is cheap and nasty. The hot water system has obviously been replaced and the new one doesn't even fit in the cupboard. The timber blinds are falling apart; those that have already failed have been mended with screws and sticky tape! The washing machine and clothes dryer are so noisy that you can forget about watching TV when they are on. The dryer lint filter was worn out/torn. The louvered doors to the balcony stick on the tiles when opening. The louvered doors to the bedroom overshoot the floor guides. The oven seemed to take twice as long to cook anything as a normal oven. The fry pan didn't sit flat on the hotplates so took forever to cook anything. The ceiling lights were all very dull - forget about reading. The glass in the coffee table moves so that it can protrude beyond the frame and probably cause a nasty injury if you're not watching where you are going. The front door doesn't open fully so have fun getting your luggage in and out. The door closer on the front door needs adjusting to actually lock the door.

The design of the bathroom is awful. The original shower head must have been the height adjustable arm type because the outlet is too low meaning you have to squat to get your upper parts wet which is dangerous thanks to a glass shelf protruding from the wall below the shower head: ridiculous!! The toilet is squeezed in between the shower and the bath with insufficient space for wiping activities (unless you're one of the weirdos that do this standing up.) The spa bath is probably okay for a small child but definately not an adult, it's like your typical bath but half as deep - you won't fit, the taps are right next to your head and one of the jets wasn't even working.

The balcony was okay but forget about going out there or even getting fresh air in the people in the next apartment are smoking out there (which they did for hours on end.)

The in-house movies weren't even available most nights!! On a couple of occasions they just stopped in the middle of the movie. We complained to the useless reception staff (twice) but that didn't improve the situation at all. Given the DVD player refused to recognise a DivX movie on a DVR disc we were left with broadcast TV to watch...

The cleaning staff took our bath mat and didn't leave a replacementtl fair enough, everyone makes mistakes. We advised those useless reception staff and expected there would be one in our apartment when we returned that night. We expected too much; we never saw a bath mat again.

If you like soft feathery pillows then you'll like these; if you don't it's too bad because all the pillows are the same.

The heated pool closes at dusk. The sauna and treadmil area closes at 6pm. Why? The sauna was closed for a day for "maintenance" but even after that still did not have a working light. (ie: sitting in the dark.) Staff obviously don't have their own toilet so they use the pool toilet/shower facilities.

There is no information about the non-heated pool and how to get to it. It took us a while to figure out that it was the one in what looked like the apartments next door.

I'm pretty sure this place advertised Wifi but didn't point out that it's not free.

I'd recommend you go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Mark M
SeashellsHospitality, General Manager at Seashells Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2011

Dear Mark M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback from your recent two week stay at Seashells Scarborough. It is pleasing to hear that you and your family enjoyed our beautiful beachside location.

We appreciate you being specific detailing several maintenance issues in your apartment and we do recognise that we failed to provide you with a completely maintained apartment upon arrival. It is important to note that Seashells Scarborough employs a Maintenance Team who respond daily to maintenance onsite. On this occasion we were not advised of your issues and did not have the opportunity to attend to anything that may have caused you discomfort. Reporting issues to Reception allows us to address us to immediately respond and ensure our accommodation is maintained at the highest of standards.

Whilst we do note your comments about the bathroom design, we must point out that each Seashells Scarborough apartment has a slightly different design & floor plan.

In reference to your concerns regarding guest facilities, government safety legislation requires certain facilities in a restricted staff environment such as Seashells Scarborough be open only during daylight staffed hours for the enjoyment & safety of all.

Thank you again for your feedback & whilst it is most disappointing to learn of your concerns and issues encountered during your stay we are grateful for the opportunity to follow up to ensure we are providing the highest quality product to our guests.

Should you travel to Perth in the future I would love you to make contact and I will personally take care of your reservation.

Regards
Christie Vanderbroeck

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed here with my husband for a few days break. The apartments were spacious, clean and had fantastic views from our balcony. From arrival we found the staff to be friendly and attentive we will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed over at Seashells, Room 301 (2-bedroom) in Sept 2011, and everything was great!

Unit was spacious and well kept. Kitchen very well equipped. Ocean view from living room balcony.

Only fuss was that there is no air-con in the bedrooms and free wi-fi. Only source of ventilation is the window in each bedroom, and internet comes at a price.

Otherwise, excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Loved being just over from the beach and found the rooms quite spacious.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business