“Inventive roobios latte”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“Inventive roobios latte”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

A funky little place overlooking the beach with personality to the max, this was the perfect place for a wind-down Wednesday breakfast.

The eggs Benedict (although a jarred tasting sauce) were tasty, but it was the roobios tea latte that really shone.

If u are caffeine intolerant, roobios tea is a wonderful alternative and this is one of the only times I have seen it on a menu. Although upon initial probing of the waiter (who actually recommended against it) I ordered the menu oddity and it was lovely. Somewhere in the field of a chai, it was warming (for the unseasonably cold day) and very tasty.

I would recommend this cafe for sure, excluding the slightly inflated prices and lack of confidence in their more unique menu options.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The first time we went here for brunch it was very busy and the service was poor. We didn't get our drinks for 45 mins and only then because we could see them lined up on the drinks counter along with many more waiting to be delivered to tables, and as we couldn't stand waiting any longer, my husband got up and went and collected them himself. The food was not bad but just average, the milkshake was very nice. The second time we went back not much seemed to have improved on the service front even though it wasn't nearly as busy. On entry, two different staff members walked past us telling us it wouldn't be long til someone would attend to us before a third person offered for us to sit at the nearest table which honestly seemed plonked against a wall with no thought and no views, probably the worst table in the place, and as I could see quite a lot of tables available I asked if we could possibly sit at one that was free outside, to which the answer was 'sure'. He handed us the menus and we saw ourselves to the table. When we had our order taken by another staff member she took our food order (which took her a long time to enter into her handheld computer thingy) and then went to walk away before we could order a drink, so I had to stop her and say we would also like a drink. We were very put out when we asked if our food could be brought out at the same time (I had ordered a burger and my husband a piece of cake but we wanted to eat at the same time). We thought it a reasonable request but she said 'I'll do my best' in a tone that implied she wouldn't. Sure enough my husbands cake was delivered long before we had even received our drinks, by the very same waitress. My burger arrived 20 mins later, and by that stage my husband had eaten and our drinks were finished. Also during this time we were approached on two different occasions by staff trying to deliver drinks and food to us that we had not ordered. All in all it was very disappointing. The smoothies and milkshakes were lovely, and I would consider possibly going back just for a drink and to sit out the front as its a great location, but I would not go back for a meal again.

• Visited March 2013
Sydney
“Breakfast Great - had to go back”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great spot opposite the beach and very good service. Food was excellent with a great selection and the whole place has a great vibe. Also made fresh juices on the spot which is a favourite of mine. Went there two days in a row as I enjoyed the first breakfast so much.

Visited March 2013
Perth, Australia
“Nothing good about this fig - Stay Away”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Rubbish service started off the evening. We asked for our children's pasta to be plain. It came out smothered in butter and had spinach tossed through it, despite spinach not being on the menu. My friend's papaya salad with crab, came out with 3 tiny pieces of crab - about 10 grams if I want to be generous. The friand was so dense i had trouble getting the fork through it. It was so hot in the part of the restaurant that I ws seated in that I turned on the fans myself. The wine list was less than ordinary. The sparking wine had the aroma of a dirty bar the morning after. The restaurant is so rubbish that it asks you not to do reviews!

• Visited March 2013
Doha, Qatar
“Great decor and ambience - otherwise average”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I loved the decor and ambience of the place and the young staff were well trained. Direct feedback to the manager about waiting 45 minutes for the mains received a bland response and almost "too bad" response. Food was overpriced for the quality and presentation and a clearly stale fruit platter had to be returned, only to be replaced with an average quality and choice of fruit. A Jazz trio on one night was a welcome and really pleasing backdrop to really average food.

Visited March 2013