“The view is the best bit”

Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
perth
“The view is the best bit”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

She;s just looking tired and old, scruffy not dirty,
Staff still great - corridors, bathroom, room furniture scratched, scuffed and just tatty looking, but I think theyre remodeling or closing down in 2009 so maybe thats why theyve stopped spending money on looks.

Food was good,at the pines especially, and the view is still brilliant, although I never tire of looking out at the ocean.

• Liked — The view out of the window
  • Disliked — Scruffy
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2008

I stayed here in 2002 for a few nights and was happy with the experience, but after reading the more recent reviews was a little hesitant about booking it again but the location was ideal so I did so, for a week in October 2008.

No complaints worth mentioning (though for the record I'll nitpick below). My room (2 queen beds) was spotlessly clean. Room service happened as it should. The TV was something of a throwback (no widescreen digitals here) but quite watchable (and if the rumours of the hotel closing are true, no surprise that the TV is old).

My room was on a lower floor, but I knew that when booking, and the price was consequently a little lower than for upper floors. Could spot the sea from my balcony, which overlooked the pool area below. Didn't swim, but the pool area looked ok.

Reception staff friendly and efficient without exception, and needed a couple of pages photocopied, this was done quickly by a friendly concierge without charge.

Bathroom quite adequate - no cause for complaint there.

Can't comment on dining, bars etc. as I did not use those facilities.

Nitpicks:

Hotel had my booking a day short. Receptionist cheerily said 'probably a typo by us' and corrected it.

On day 2, noticed what I thought was an extra water bottle in mini-bar. Queried it at reception, and yes I had been charged for a bottle I never used. Again, receptionist admitted it must have been their fault (I knew it was), and reversed the charge.

Small scuff marks on carpet inside door. Nothing significant.

Some sort of polyfilla in the door near the key slot - unsightly, but again, not significant.

Air-con (I like the room quite cool) seemed to struggle a bit, even in October.

So in short, if you're expecting a good 4 star hotel you're going to get one (but maybe not for too much longer if the rumours of imminenet closure are true).

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
uk
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Having read the reviews on this hotel it was the last place in scarborough I wanted to stay, but finding family accommodation proved difficult I booked this hotel with some trepidation. But actually we had a great time.

We booked an inter-connecting room through Trailfinders, but I did take the opportunity to phone the hotel and ask for a refurbished room. The receptionist was helpful, talked me through the options and booked the reserved the room on the side of the hotel with the best views. And the view is stunning. The rooms themselves were good, they were both modern, large and without any of the problems many have mentioned. The bathrooms were ordinary - but certainly nothing to complain about. The rooms were equipped with a fridge and kettle, so it was lovely to have a light breakfast on the balcony enjoying the view of the sea.

All the staff we met were helpful. Room service was abit haphazard - but things were quickly put right on request.

You have to cross a road to get to the beach - and it was blissful to walk along the beach early in the morning.

We didn't use any of the other facilities of the hotel - so can't comment - although the restaurant didn't look particularly appealing.

By the sound of it we were lucky with the good condition of our room. But the location is really excellent. We had a three week holiday in Australia, and if I look back the view of that long quiet (by UK standards) beach on our first morning is what springs to mind first.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The look of the dining facilities
  • Stayed December 2007
perth western australia
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My wife to be and i stayed at the Rendezvous in May 2008. My wife to be stayed for 2 nights and i stayed for 1. We were getting married on the 18th and the hotel was central to our church and reception.
Check in was very difficult as i had booked the room in my name and payment was required upfront although my wife had all her gear....wedding dress make up etc. The girl at the desk was very abrupt and rude which was not a good way to start the night.
Once this hurdle was taken care of the room although a little dated had the most wonderful view stretching all the up and down the coast.
Arriving back after our big day bed was comfortable although we were both exhausted i doubt it would of mattered.
The main reason for the 2 instead of a 3 or 4 (and the rude girl at the desk) was breakfast at the pines. It was $30odd each and ith was just the most horrible breakfast i had ever eaten. Cold and very bland with a lack of variety was not the best way to kick off married life. I have eaten Lunch and Dinner at the Pines before both being better than average this was just insulting.
So anyway for the room i give it 3.5 the stay on a whole has to be a 2.

• Liked — the view over the ocean
  • Disliked — Front desk service and breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Western Australia
Reviewed April 18, 2008

We have just returned from a stay at Rendezvous Observation City. Before we stayed there I read all the reviews and I must admit that I was more than a little nervous about what we were venturing into. But now I must say that honestly I cant understand why they are getting such a bad rap from fellow reviewers. The staff are absolutely marvellous, nothing is too much trouble and they are very friendly and polite. We also stayed at Rydges on Hay St, and I found the staff at Ob City to be far more friendly than the staff at Rydges (who only managed a hint of a smile as we checked out, even tho we paid $100 more a night to stay there). Our room at Ob City was lovely, with none of the tired look, scuff marks or worn, stained bedding that other reviewers have reported. Room service was quick and efficient and yummy. And the bathroom was spacious and cleaner than the Rydges bathroom. Dining in the hotel restaurant was great, and we also took advantage of dining in 1 of the many restaurants located just outside of the hotel. All in all we agreed that we would choose to stay at Rendezvous Observation City again over Rydges of Perth everytime!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank gwell
Tyne & Wear UK
Reviewed March 10, 2008

The hotel just looks vast as you approach Scarborough Beach, but not necessarily in a good way. My first impression of the interior was set by the air con, which was on overdrive and the place was absolutely freezing. Though the staff were efficient and the bed in my room was really really comfortable, overall the place has no atmosphere at all. It's looking tired and in desperate need of a facelift, the pool area was desperate (and deserted). In fact I hardly saw another person the whole time I was there and it was always the same member of staff at the reception desk, hence the Overlook Hotel. I wouldn't go back and wouldn't recommend this place other than as a daytrip location from Perth.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank dlebox
Scotland
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I have stayed here before and enjoyed my visit so I was fully aware of the short coming of the hotel.
I will keep my information brief as will become clear..
The hotel has deteriorated and after the first day of my 7 day stay I found out why. I was out searching for other possible future places to stay and was told by staff of another hotel that the Rendezvous was closing in May to be turned into apartments. I spoke to some of the staff at my hotel who seemed surprised at my knowledge and somewhat reluctantly informed me that they had been told the same by the company. However, they said that the date had been put back and that they would not be surprised if it was still open at the end of the year.
For these reasons I guess that little is being spent or is likely to be spent on the hotel. It does need work done.
I found all of the staff I met to be a credit to the company in the appearance and manner. Other guests I spoke to told me of the short comings of their rooms. I was perhaps lucky as mine was up to standard and kept very clean. (albeit slightly out of date and worn)
It will be worth checking the web site to see how far ahead they will take bookings and be warned that this hotel appears to be on the way out.

• Liked — That I perhaps a last chance to savour a Perth Icon
  • Disliked — That it was closing
  • Stayed February 2008
2 Thank clanchiefScotland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Indian Ocean Hotel
#2 of 6 in Scarborough
Perth CBD
Travelodge Hotel Perth

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough? Share your experiences!