“Mid Year Break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Melbourne, Australia
“Mid Year Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Terrific stay for 5 nights during first week of Vic school holidays.Like new hotel after recent renovations.Clean room with great views(17th floor).Comfortable bed,clean bathroom ,hot shower,large TV.Freshly painted new carpet throughout.Lobby like new.Reception and concierge staff friendly and helpful.
Hotel great,only minor disappointment was the Scarborough area itself.Very much a sleepy hollowWas expecting a lively beachside area but don't get hungry or thirsty after 7.00pm!I think that's Perth in general and I'm accustomed to Melbourne's 24/7 lifestyle.
If you're considering this hotel do not hesitate.Just don't look outside for your 3.00am kebab!.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bdjohnno
Matthew R, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear bdjohnno,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am glad to hear that you loved your room, as well as the friendly and helpful service received from the Reception and Concierge team.

The Esplanade beneath the Hotel has a number of food and beverage outlets that offer a variety of different dining options, with several more due to open by the end of the year. The hotel also has our Straits Café which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and our 24 hour room service is also available for those 3am cravings.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We didn't realise how nice this hotel would be with the view from the 19th floor with our little private balcony! The middle of winter in Perth, just a weekend getaway for a rest was just wonderful. The view from our Room looking out to Scarborough and out to the Indian Ocean was beautiful on a clear West Australian Winter's Day. We had an early check-in around 1.30pm and late check-out the next day at 11am. Our refurbished room was lovely and tidy, and with ample room but the staff we encountered made our stay even much nicer.
Matthew Lake at Straits Restaurant, a Brilliant People Person, we wish him every great success for the future. Very interested in you as a person or couple, and talked about the hotel in a very positive way. He should be the Front Man for this Hotel, no doubt. He knows what he is talking about and knows how to treat patrons well. The Lunch we had soon after our arrival was amazing. The Macaroni Cheese Side and the Cream of Mushroom and Bacon Soup, the best I have ever had, and I have eaten out at Restaurants for many years. Matthew never bothered us unnecessarily while we ate, as you may find when dining at other Hotels or Restaurants, and this would be a lovely stay for Newly Weds. Our Room Service Staff were some of the best we have encountered ever. They were so polite and assisted in every way. Lovely people. The remote control device for the television needed new batteries and John the Maintenance Man was great. Efficient and prompt and nice to chat with.
I have only one or two things that perhaps need addressing. I felt the room hadn't been vacuumed and we didn't have enough toiletries and had to phone for more of these. For a refurbished room, the ceiling above the bed had peeling paint which was quite obvious and would look better with maintenance. But overall, a nice stay and would go again, soon!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tuppence928,

Thank you so much for leaving us with such kind words after your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your review and hear that your experience was of the high standards we aim to offer our valued guests.

The Restaurant and Kitchen teams will be just as happy as I am, I’m sure, to hear that they have surpassed your expectations. In regards to the issues with your room, I do apologise and I shall make sure these matters are dealt with and do not arise again.

All of your compliments will be passed on to the team, and we look forward to having you with us again.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed here with my husband for 4 nights. We had a room on the 15th floor with a great sea view. The room was clean, well equipped with tea and coffee and a minibar if you wanted it. The bathroom was also well stocked with French Connection toiletries. We used the free wi-fi with no issues in the room. The reception staff we met were polite and friendly. We did not eat in the restaurant due to the many other options a short walk or drive away such as Hilary's Harbour or Fremantle. The lobby bar has a great vibe. Handy to have a Dome coffee shop and gym with a sea view on site too with plenty of choice for dining out and grocery shopping in the vicinity. We enjoyed our stay and will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room...15th floor or above!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gerbera75
Matthew R, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Gerbera75,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with such kind words regarding your stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you could appreciate the newly renovated rooms and facilities, as well as the unique and stunning location of the Hotel.

There are indeed an array of dining options in the area, especially with the opening of the Rendezvous Esplanade which will soon be a vibrant precinct of wining and dining, as well as retail venues. Perhaps the next time you stay with us we can encourage you to trial the culinary expertise of our Chefs in Straits Cafe.

Thank you again for your kind words, they shall be passed on to the team.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

First time staying here, have wanted to for a long time. Unfortunately it was a disappointing experience all round. Trying to book the room via their website proved difficult. Site kept freezing, taking too long to load up, isn't straight forward and doesn't have all information on it. Booked the queen deluxe room ( with 2 x queen beds ) added the buffet breakfast for two. Upon check in, Amanda told us breakfast wasn't included. I tried to explain how I had added it to the booking and was to pay the extra. I even showed her the confirmation email on my phone which showed as much. She wasn't very apologetic or caring and handed us two breakfast vouchers for use in the morning. We thought vouchers are a bit tacky for a hotel, normally it's just put through the system. She also mentioned a $50 bond was required, which I was told nothing about via website when booking!? We went up to our room after having trouble with the elevators. The elevators require you to swipe your guest card, or you ain't going anywhere! Makes it difficult for visitors, you'd have to let them in and out every time! We thought we were stuck in the elevator as it wouldn't move, nor would the doors open. Most odd elevators we've been in. Entered our room to discover we had been given the wrong one. We had booked the deluxe queen and were given a superior queen. The room looked nothing at all like the one I had booked on the website! Only two pillows per bed, had to call down for extras to be bought up. At other hotels, there's always normally 4 pillows per bed provided. Room service was nothing special, I asked for no mushroom on pizza and was given it anyway. Steak sand which was inedible as was too undercooked for my son. I was never asked how I wanted it cooked. It cost us $120 for dinner and we were left feeling disappointed. The $22 pizza was small for the price. Upon check out, we received the same employee. Not very good presentation for a hotel receptionist, messy hair, no name badge, piercings and poor customer service same as the night before. I tried to explain how we'd been given the wrong room, she said we hadn't. I said it looked nothing like the one we had booked on the site, she cared none. She then tried to over charge me hundreds of dollars! I'd already paid for the room upon check in. After questioning it, they realised it was a system pricing error. Again no apology. Buffet breakfast in Straits Cafe was underwhelming. Very little variety on offer and poor set up. There are only tables of four, we had a family of five. Cafe is small and gets very crowded. Only one toaster means a constant line up, I gave up on the toast idea in the end. There's also continuous line ups for the hot food too, as unlike other buffets they only had one dish of each thing out. Hotel pool was dirty and waterfall wasn't going as is shown on website pictures. We avoided a swim. Overall a very disappointing experience. We could hear other patrons also expressing similar disappointments upon checking out at the same time. I'd advise staying elsewhere. We've stayed at much better run hotels in Perth, with far more superior customer service, breakfast and value for money. This hotel charges an extra $60 for late checkout, which gives you an extra hour! At others we've stayed at, we are not charged. And they allow us to check out late, if they are not fully booked and need the room emptied asap.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank jayla7
Matthew R, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Jayla 7

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding customer service, breakfast and value for money. Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced. I have passed on your comments to the relevant Manager’s to follow up with their teams.

In regards our Straits Café, most tables are 2 or 4 people in size, however we can move tables together to accommodate larger groups. – with 150 seats in the restaurant, unless the entire restaurant is full, this can be arranged easily. On some mornings, depending on when guests come down to eat breakfast, there may be slight delays to be seated or in the buffet line, as guests get their food, however the team work feverishly to keep any delay to a minimum.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope you try us again soon.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

My Husband and I went to the restaraunt at the rendezvous hotel last Friday evening , and experienced bad service , we had to ask for the wine on two occasion , which came part way through our main course , I ordered crispy skin barramundi , which was soggy and fish under cooked my husband ordered the most expensive steak , and the meat was of poor quality , the restaraunt was freezing cold, think maybe the air condition was on !! I was asked if everything was ok with my meal and I explained that it wasn't , the girl came back to clear rest of the table and in passing said chef says he's sorry , I felt insulted , I wasn't even going to say anything but when asked I told the truth , didnt even mention how awful my husbands steak was , will not be returning.

Room Tip: Loads of really good quality places to eat , but avoid this one
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MelG991
Dear MelG991,

I was disappointed to read of your experience in the restaurant. I would like to speak with you personally to discuss your experience in detail. Please contact me via the hotel on 08 92451000 or via email m.richardson@rendezvoushotels.com
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel and the view were nice but this is about all the hotel has going for it. Scarborough is a long way from everything else in Perth and things in this area are quite overpriced and overrated. The front reception staff were not very friendly or helpful, as if it was a chore to check you in. Breakfast was fairly good, good variety but I have stayed at other places nearby that represent much better value for the money paid.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear Donna F,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your review of your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear that you were underwhelmed by your experience. I believe Scarborough is a great area which offers a number of great food and beverage outlets, with another 5 outlets due to over before the end of the year. Karrinyup Shopping Centre is a 5 minute drive away, with Myer, David Jones and over 100 specialty shops. Besides the local shopping, the best aspect of Scarborough is the beach, and those great sunsets.

Our Front Desk team aim to offer exceptional service to all guests, and I am surprised to hear that this is not what you experienced. I shall discuss the matter with the team and ensure that it does not arise again.

Thank you again for your feedback.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

The atmosphere of Scarborough was inviting. I and my family stayed here for 6 nights and have to say it an awesome location, the room was spacious & nice, a big balcony overlooking the ocean & crossroads, and everything was clean. In this particular I found it was really windy. I really loved the big walk in shower & the bed was lovely & comfortable. I stayed in club room 2414 on the 24th floor which was overlooking the pool & beach. It had a lovely sunny balcony, it had a big Jacuzzi bath which I and my son did make use of. Wi-Fi is free but can be very slow. We couldn't hear any noise from anywhere even though it was the weekend. Make sure you go to the Observation deck at the Hotel located at 24th floor, amazing views and a great way to see Scarborough close to shops, Hotels and the best beach. The beach is 1 minutes away. Its only 30+- mins drive to any scenic or tourist attractions.
Within walking distance to the hotel is a supermarket, chemist and a couple of bars and restaurants. There is a Dome downstairs that did surprisingly okay coffee too. Only fall down is the car park-not secured and grubby and grotty.

We had a great experienced of breakfast and sundowners in the Club Lounge on the top floor. Our meals in the restaurant were excellent. The breakfasts in the Club Lounge were so enjoyable. Special thanks goes to Ketut and Ajay who was the perfect host. And special thanks to the concierge Alain, a good customer service I would say. These people is very courteous and willing to strike conversation.

And especially the front desk staff Chanel (guest relation officer). She seriously needed training in customer service. Very bad attitude when we approached her. No smile, no eye contact and not listening to what we want to say. And also to other the rest of front desk staff as if we are not welcoming at the first place.

I really hope the front desk staff is well train in customer service so it will not ruin the name of Rendezvous Hotel. Hotel with an amazing view, and a good location for a beach lover.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bewitched L
Dear Bewitched L,

Thank you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Rendezvous Grand Hotel Perth Scarborough. It was great to hear your positive comments on the hotel and vast majority of the team, however I was concerned to read your comments on the poor customer service from the front desk team and the car park.

I will be bringing your comments up with the team at next week’s team meeting, as we continue to strive to improve our service from the entire team. We are also in the process of upgrading our ticketing system and installing roller shutters in the hotel car park, which is due for completion by the end of this month.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
#2 of 6 in Scarborough
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
Perth CBD
Travelodge Hotel Perth

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough? Share your experiences!