“AWFUL service, lovely hotel and location- NOT FOR SPECIAL OCCASION”

Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Perth, Australia
“AWFUL service, lovely hotel and location- NOT FOR SPECIAL OCCASION”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed one night here before flying out for an international honeymoon. Prior to this we had stayed a year previous and had an excellent stay. The renovations have been great the hotel looks fabulous.... This stay however was AWFUL.
All staff were rude and dismissive, our booking originally didn't show the meals and parking of which we had paid extra to be included and we were dismissed by the staff until they found the extras on the booking.
Our "deluxe King" room was actually 2 single beds pushed together...great start to a honeymoon.

Our meals were awful and overpriced, the wine we ordered came 45 minutes after we had ordered and already finished our entrée and main meal. My medium well steak came rare almost bleu and the gravy was inedible. The breakfast was average at best, and actually made me sick for the day and please do not even bother with the coffee.
Our in house movies did not work and when someone came up to have a look he pressed a few buttons and said he would be back. An hour and a half later we were still waiting and called front reception to be abruptly told there was nothing they could do. No compensation was given for this. We were also charged for some services we had prepaid for but by the time we realized on the credit card we were too fed up with the establishment to bother doing anything about it.

We were so disappointed and upset. we had paid extra to have a nice start to our weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We will never make that mistake again. we will never be back.

Room Tip: Do not stay if special occassion
3 Thank Jessica S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,860 helpful votes
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Have been coming to the area for more than 20 years and the area still looks like a construction zone.
The hotel has obviously spent a fortune on the renovations but learnt little about the need for staffing and service. Despite countless reviews on Trip Advisor about the woeful service, management (if there is any) has neither listened, learnt nor responded.
As always, top heavy at the front desk, no help with your luggage. As always, they watch as you struggle to unload the car, lug 5 cases up the stairs to the front desk and then ask "can we help you".
The young girl at the front desk asks "why do you need 2 keys" and I refrain from sarcasm and softly suggest that perhaps my wife and I might each need a key when we go out separately.
They don't tell you about the Wi-Fi and I only find out on leaving that they actually have such a facility.
The young girl again has no idea of parking and suggests that I drive around the block to find it - anyone who has been here would understand what a mess the drive around the block is.
Tried to get breakfast the next morning but this is an incredible challenge - the room service menu has many options and quite a diverse range - assume we can get these in the café.
A similar young girl at the café says no, we can only have a buffet. As my wife has specific allergies and cannot eat much of a buffet, I suggested that some of the room service a-la-carte
would probably work.
But no, rules are rules and we have to eat the buffet.
Wandered across to Dome, sat for 15 minutes before realising that they did not offer service.
Each of these venues has a reason that they individually understand and justify BUT the big assumption is that a guest for the first time understands this crazy logic.
Gave up and went to Trigg for breakfast where you have real professionals who understand service.
Tried to move on and ignore the lack of service but that night was given an account for our stay which included items from the mini-bar which we had neither opened nor touched.
I think this is one of the biggest rip-offs by hotels where they just hope that you don't read the bill.
BUT probably the biggest issue for was the swimming pool wasn't operational.
I chose this hotel specifically as I needed a hotel for business reasons in this area and knew had a swimming pool.
Went to the pool just after 6.00 and the key wouldn't let me in.
Asked reception what was the problem and they said they would send someone up to open it.
But after waiting 15 minutes and no-one turning up, I rang security and they said the pool was closed for Occupational Health reasons.
Problem was that they kept it a secret and hadn't bothered telling anyone.
Went back to the front desk and they said they weren't aware of it.
I feel ripped off as I purchased this hotel primarily because of its pool yet front-desk just shrugs shoulder and says "whatever - we didn't know about the problems"
Sad thing though is that the rooms are better - the ocean front rooms are spacious and have a wonderful aspect - - the sunsets are incredible;
BUT with all the little things that matter, they don't have a clue.

Room Tip: pay the extra for an ocean front
2 Thank RonWamberal
Justin P, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear RonWamberal,

Thank you for your detailed feedback and whilst it is clear from your comments that we have missed the mark on this occasion, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the specific details with you directly.

Please contact me directly on j.philip@rendezvoushotels.com with a contact number and a suitable time for me to call.
Victoria
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was the best hotel we stayed at on our vacation - much better value for money than Crown Metropol. We were on the 21st floor so had a fantastic view of the water and town. Room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The seperate bathroom was clean and there was room to move in the shower (we didn't have a bath). The buffet breakfast was great and reception service was good. The hotel is on the beach, and near restaurants and a supermarket. There was underground parking (free) and although the weather was too cold for us to use it, the outdoor pool area looked fantastic - it would be great for kids too. If I go back to Perth, I will stay here and drive to wherever I needed to go in Perth or Fremantle, which are both only half an hour or so away. There was a fair bit of construction happening in and around the hotel when we were there, however it didn't intrude on our stay at all.

Only slight negative was the service at the bar was poor - the bartender was too busy showing off to some girls as to how good he was at spinning cocktail shakers than to actually serve us. We waited a while then ended up getting a drink across the road at the pub.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view
1 Thank Steve K
Justin P, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Steve K,

Thank you so much for your kind words and great feedback. I am so happy to hear your stay with us was such a wonderful experience for you.

Our refurbishment is now in its final stages and so it is great to hear that the fruits of it are being enjoyed by our guests, as planned. In regards to your experience in the Lobby Bar, I apologize for the service, or lack thereof, that was provided to you, and we will ensure that it does not happen again.

Hopefully you do visit in the Summer so that you can experience the pool!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I understand the hotel has been renovated recently and it’s nice, updated, clean, but the service……oh wow!!! Its extremely poor.

It started well – with an upgrade but got disappointed with the rest of the stay.

Room was nice, spacious, clean; bathroom updated; big size balcony with a breathtaking view.

Service: Where do I start?
First evening, my colleague and I went to the restaurant downstairs for dinner and we ordered 2 stakes (different cuts, cooking styles, etc…). The food was served to us about 45 min later which wasn’t a tragedy for us since we were catching up on work updates, but it was the wrong order. My colleague received my steak with his side dish and I have received his, and when I asked about it as it didn’t seem that I have received the right order the waitress told me that my colleague got my steak and she looked at us as we exchanged plates without even trying to help!!!!

Second evening I went downstairs again (please note this is the only restaurant in the hotel) and I was told they were fully booked and they could accommodate me in an hour – which again I didn’t think was a big drama, but looking inside the restaurant it was 2/3 empty. One hour later I went for dinner and had to wait 40min to receive my order.

Third and forth evening – I gave up and went to eat out.

The day I had to check out I have requested a late check out as my flight was at 10pm so I have been told that after 12pm there will be a charge of 20AUD/hour which I agreed to pay. The front desk attendant didn’t make a note in their system for my request and first the housekeeping was knocking at my door as she was told I have checked out (at least that’s what she said) and then about 2.30pm the security came to evacuate me since I have overstayed!???!?!?!? I WAS NOT IMPRESSED.

It’s a pity that the service is so poor, because the hotel and the location are very nice.

Pros: close to the beach, good sleeping quality, clean, supermarket access, free wifi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AliO_11
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was our first visit back to Rendezvous Grand Hotel Scarborough since the Hotel has had a make over. (not before time) After parking our car and making our way up to Lobby, you could
start to see all the improvements. Checkin was slow, not enough staff on duty. We were lucky not too long to wait. My son and his wife the day before had to wait over 30 mins to get checked
in !! The room was good, view good looking north with ocean views. Part of the package was a bottle of sparkling wine, I had to ring and chase it up. Some confusion over this, and as I suspected, when given our bill they tried to charge me. We had the same girl on check-out as when we checked in. She really didn't understand too much, tried to insist we had to pay for wine. She then handed me over to "Duty Manager" who after keeping me waiting, he then agreed there was nothing more to pay. (Luckly I had kept the original copy of internet booking showing wine was paid for !!) Then there was the dis-organised carpark, and trying to find your way out. I realise there is a lot of work still going on, but some good signs would help no end.
Finally, I found there was no instructions in room regarding the television, was hard to get much other than the digital TV channels. There needs to be a lot more done to raise level of service to match the newly refurbished hotel. I've stayed at this hotel many many times over the years, I hope it gets better, as would like to return again one day.

Room Tip: Always ask for higher room, and way facing north is best, but south facing is OK. That is if you ha...
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice room but staff were very unhelpful rang reception 9 times with no answer! Went for a swim in the heated pool and spa both freezing! Nothing to do in Scarborough but Hillary's boat harbour is close by and lots to see and do there. guy in the lounge bar last night 8/9 was awesome!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Fairiefloss63
Justin P, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Michele C,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that our Reception team did not provide you with the level of service we try to provide. I have raised these issues with our Front Office team and we are endeavouring to improve service levels in that area.

I have also passed on your positive feedback to the team at the Lobby Bar who were delighted to hear this.

We also hope that the opening of the Rendezvous Esplanade later this year will create a vibrant dining and retail precinct and enhance Scarborough as a destination with exciting things to come to the area.
Perth
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed in the club room on a Saturday night September 2013.

Pro's

- The room was very nice.
- The view was very nice.
- The breakfast was very nice.

Con's

- The check-in was disgraceful, in-attentive and slow. Nothing explained.
- The parking set-up is pathetic. We couldn't exit the car park due to not having a validated parking ticket, which was my fault apparently because I didn't ask. (Don't ask it was absurd)
- The lifts are rediculous. Sometimes you are waiting up to 5 mins for a lift to get to the lobby or back up from the lobby to your room. Consequently, every lift we were on was jammed packed like a peak hour train.
- The hotel is very noisy from outside traffic, even on the 23rd floor. Must be very thin glass.
- Bogans everywhere staying here. No dress code enforced, it was like going to a beer garden in Rockingham sometimes.

Clean your act up Rendezvous. Never ever will I stay again

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
1 Thank Aussie73
Dear Aussie73,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback and whilst we wuld have liked to see more on the positive list I understand your concerns.

Peak arrival times, particularly on weekends can be busy with up to 100 guests checking in over a one hour period. Whilst we are endeavouring to improve this process, it is no excuse for extensive delays and inconvenience experienced. Please note since your stay with us we have recently implemented additional check-in terminals to assist with this.

Our car park has recently been reactivated including the pay ticketing system, following the re-opening of the entrance on the Esplanade. we apologize that the ticketing system was not clearly communicated to you during your stay. as with most paid parking systems exit tickets do need to be validated.

As part of our refurbishment all of our guests are being fully modernized. Unfortunately this is an extensive process and we apologize for the inconvenience of having one of the three guest lifts nonoperational during your stay. We are looking forward to having all lifts fully operational in the next few weeks as we approach the final stage of these works.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
East Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#12 of 64 in Perth

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough? Share your experiences!