“Not the best”

Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
“Not the best”
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 8 nights in June after finding the hotel online. When researching the hotel website they mentioned works taking place to be completed in May. On arrival on the 1 June, works were still underway with no end insight in the near future. The main entry was fenced off and we were directed to the basement car park by the attendant. After arriving on the reception level we eventually found our way to reception. ( no signage from the basement and areas partitioned off due to works). Our reception experience wasn't great. We waited for the lift as there was only one of three working at the time.

We had a room on the 12 th floor. It had not been refurbished. It was clean and painted. Bathroom was a bit sad. We had a balcony with ocean views but the glass door was filthy. My wife cleaned a portion so we could look out. No furniture on the balcony. The room was spacious and could have done with a sofa and lacked a bit of decoration. The mini bar wash't stocked properly.Our room was cleaned daily (apart from the balcony glass)

We understand and accept the works going on. They were not a great inconvenience but could be managed better with signage and better partitioning. Perhaps more info on the hotel website to update the status of the works would be helpful.

In my view the hotel generally lacked attention to detail. The works were of no great concern but just the littles things needed attention. Staff were dressed in a corporate uniform some wore collar and tie with top buttons undone and ties lose and unshaven. The pool area is showing its age with rotten timber garden edges and shade area. Other areas including the toilets in lobby area are clean but in need of update with holes in the tiles and walls of the men's toilets. All glass areas needed a clean to appreciate the views. Paintwork and repairs in places was hit and miss.

Gym and equipment were great.

Overall the place was clean and tidy. Staff were friendly and helpful. Food and bar were great and refurbished. We are not extensive travellers but from my limited experience our experience was disappointing.

I don't know if the current works will address the other areas of the hotel that need attention/maintenance. If and when they are completed it will be a nice venue.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a lot going for it. The view is unbelievable, the pool and observation decks are beyond comparison and the bar man in The Lobby Bar was the most obliging and friendly I've ever come across.

However, the administration of this place is what really let it down. I had a confusing booking, to be fair, but every time I cleared it up with one person working on reception, something would mess up and I'd have to explain it to the next person. Each time I got different stories of what had been paid for and what hadn't which was very frustrating, and I had to have my key re-coded twice to make sure it didn't lock me out if the room because I had been incorrectly "checked out". The hotel wanted to charge me for two telephone calls to Queensland which I never made, and on the third time I ordered in-room dining they asked me to pay cash rather than put it on the room charge like with the other two orders. I had to go down to reception to sort it out. I don't think I'm the only person who had billing issues either, as I observed a man and a woman having a very intense disagreement with the reception staff.

The cleaners would often not get to my room until the middle ofthe afternoon to clean it, which I don't blame them for; obviously bad scheduling but it was very inconvenient at times, and to top it off the free WiFi was dodgy and when I asked for the access code to the guest WiFi it was incorrect.

I doubt I'll come back here, the stress just wasn't worth it.

• Stayed June 2013
Cairns
Reviewed June 2, 2013

They've spent a fortune on this property. The rooms are fresh and contemporary. Great beds. Great views. Staff great and the restaurant and bar excellent. Breakfast overlooking the ocean was great quality and variety. The assistant manager happily re-opened the bar for our group late on Sunday night making coffees and liquors. They still have renovations underway with reception, retail areas and the lifts being worked on during our visit. However the rate reflected this and made our stay value for money. Would stay again.

Room Tip: The higher the better :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EssenceOfGoodTaste
Sydney
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed 3 nights here for a work trip and couldn't believe my luck. The hotel is undergoing renovations and I had a lovely refurbished room with a nice partial view of the beach. I dined at the hotel restaurant for breakfast and dinner each day. Breakfast is included in the room prices I think, and it's a wonderful spread with a lot of healthy options such as fruit platters, yogurts and bircher muesli, as well as the hot foods. Dinner is quite a formal affair. There is a fridge in the restaurant displaying their aged beef sourced from Tasmania. Alas, the steaks are $$$ and beyond my work travel allowance so I can't comment, but the other dishes I tried were cooked very well, with the crispy skin salmon fillet being the standout. The hotel is located on Scarborough beach so one can enjoy a stroll along the beach at sunset, but it is a little out of the way if you need to go to Perth CBD. Ask the wonderful Concierge team any questions you might have and also about the shuttle service. They weren't too busy during my stay and the head concierge kindly gave me a lift to my work each morning, as well as to Kings Park for sightseeing on my last day. Thank you to the highly professional yet friendly staff for making my stay so memorable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Undergoing renovations when we stayed in May 2013. Good room, great views from the ocean facing rooms. Breakfast was included and had good buffet style variety. The renovations meant lifts were slow and car park a bit hit and miss but they didn't charge for it as a result( I didn't need to ask either!). Strange open plan has showers and toilets viewable from bed, though some coverage with pull down partially transparent blind. Quite modern and not really a complaint.
If you are looking for a beach side stay for couple or family, I'd recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
Perth Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We live in perth and decided at short notice to take an overnight stay in a club room. We had stayed before on 3 occasions so expected a pleasant stay. When we booked there was no mention of the major renovations under way:-
1. Underground parking is a bomb site with debris everywhere.
2. Bridge access from the hotel to the beach has been destroyed so there is no easy access currently.
3. Only one of three lifts was working.
4. Room had been refurbished but balcony had no seating so was basically unusable.
5. Pool area was pretty much closed - fountains not working, bar closed, palms almost dead, fake grass worn through.

The only good news is that they agreed to us leaving with no charge. It may be good again some day but will wait till I see some better TA reviews.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sale, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip for a $150 per night discounted package. Room is fine. Spacious, good views of the beach and decent set up.

The location of the hotel is also good.

The problems arose, mainly with the renovations taking place. Namely the lifts breaking down. A lot. of the three lifts, one was permanently out of order. The other two were intermittent. Being on the 17th floor suddenly has it's drawbacks.

The complimentary breakfast was great aside from being over booked and having to wait a while to be seated.

The phone in the room didn't work for long periods and upon reporting this to reception I was told "yeah, I know." I urged her for some sort of solution, information perhaps on when this would be resolved. "I dunno. The guy pulled out all the wires". That is as much info as I could ascertain. Indeed they were down for at least a day.

Car park was broken which had it's ups as the barriers were broken so you could park for free, just had to be careful as one had to use the same entrance ramp to exit, which could be tricky at times.

Finally, access to the internet costs $15 for 24hours.

All-in-all I would probably stay here again once the refurb is complete, depending on cost, but I would rather have stayed over the road at the boutique hotel this time around.

Room Tip: Facing either the beach or the spa/pool is a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Justin P, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Wolfpackmember,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your invaluable feedback.

We are aware that regrettably that there are some issues that our guests may experience
due to our extensive refurbishment, and we cannot express our gratitude enough for your patience and understanding throughout your stay.

We hope to have you with us again when the renovations are complete.

Kind Regards
Justin Philip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Pan Pacific Perth
#12 of 64 in Perth
Perth CBD
Travelodge Hotel Perth

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough? Share your experiences!