“Great location, average rooms”

Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is in a great location across from Scarborough beach. Great for a walk or swim before or after work. Hotel itself is going through a facelift which is needed as it was starting to look a little worse for wear. Rooms are generous, ocean facing rooms are great, but ask for something on a high floor. Bathrooms are in need of a makeover, I never feel they are quite clean. There is always some left over hair somewhere which is never pleasant. But generally, a nice hotel at a reasonable rate at a GREAT location. Try the cafes across the road and along strip for a good meal.

Room Tip: Ocean view room with balcony on high floor away from elevator will serve you well
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,067)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I checked in at 9:30pm and the kitchen was closed, the room was amazing, not 5 star but i mean for perth its amazing i would happily send my friends and family to this place, beach views, watched the sunset on my balcony. but thats when the illusion stopped, small things like i had to ask for a toothbrush instead of there being one in the bathroom already, or the cleaners changing the temp of my room so i come back to a hot room after a hot day. these are all negatives! or the room service seafood basket that was cooked in oil that wasn't hot enough, it came up warm and soaked in oil, the milkshake was warm, the breakfast was nothing amazing in fact i get better food in a camp that has to serve 2000 people, and the coffee machine needed servicing which i had to wait till someone would bother noticing me. and dinner was the worse, i came in by my self, i was sited, got given a menu and they walked away, i tried waving my arms standing up and eventually had to go back to the front door to get service (12 minutes after i was sited), then i waited drank my wine and waited, then saw meals going to a couple of guys that came in the same time i ordered, i waited, it was 40 minutes at that stage, and i ordered fish, i asked how much longer, the waiter answered without even checking that it would be 15 more minutes, i told him to ask the chef, he went back and then didnt even come and talk to me went on to serving other people, i called the hotel and the deputy manager came up to talk to me, he was well spoken and helpful, my meal came out , the fish was overcooked and dry and tough, the cooked vegetables where cold, he offered me a glass of wine, which i turned down, maybe half a hour earlier would have been better, they didnt charge me for the meal that i barley touched, which i didnt care about as work was paying for it, its just sad that this place shows promise but doesn't deliver, i will stay here again i just wont eat here, not even room service.

Room Tip: anything over level 20 has amazing views
Reviewed February 25, 2013

As soon as I arrived at the hotel it was a letdown. No driveway service, loaded my luggage on a trolly and wheeled it into the lobby. Was greeted by Susan who needs to find another occupation as customer service is not her strong suit. Bags were taking too long so called down to ask for them, the porter didn't know where they were so he asked to a description. 45 minutes later I was able to go for a swim in what looked like Hugh Heffners backyard pool - the hot chicks.
At 9pm I ordered in room dining, after 45 min I called to ask where it was, the girl said it was on its way up. 20 minutes later I called down to the kitchen to ask where my food was only to find out there was no order for my room. I had attitude from the kitchen asking if I had actually orders food.
Overall an average stay and the place needs a complete new staff change. Think again, this hotel is more a backpackers continently located next to the beach.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Christian N
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We enjoyed an overnight stay despite the construction and related problems. Admittedly check in was a little slow with people waiting to check in forming a line through the narrow passageway between the lifts and the entrance. It had been a warm day and there was no air conditioning in the foyer area, but this was more an issue for the staff than customers. Only two lifts were working and every time we used them there was a crowd inside and often people left waiting for the next lift. These are issues, however, that will disappear when the renovations are complete. We had one of the smaller rooms, however, it was spacious, bright and modern. The bed and lounge were comfortable. The room had extra towels, a safe, bar fridge and all rooms have an ocean view. Secure parking is available under the hotel. The staff were friendly, though their dreary looking uniform could do with an update. The pool was refreshing but the grounds need a lot of work. It wasn't clear whether work is planned for this area or there were just repairs happening. Breakfast was included in our package and it was excellent. There was good range of fresh fruit, cereal, juices, hot dishes and the freshest pastries I'm sure I've had in a hotel. One overseas customer told us was so impressed with his breakfast he was photographing it. There are plenty of restaurants in the immediate vicinity and a grocery store across the road. The famous white sands of Scarborough beach are just metres from the hotel door. If you want a surf beach style holiday in Perth this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here last night before attending a concert, being from Perth always driving by I thought it was a good idea to book a night, but was extremely disappointed.

I understand all hotels need upgrading and do to this they need to stay open, but from the moment we got there it was bad, construction material all over the floor as you drive into the car park, then the lobby was like being Ina mosh pit with all the construction walls up bottle necking people in the lobby, the elevators took 15 minutes to arrive on every time we went to use them and being 20 floors up I didn't pay 240a night to walk,

The rooms were decent but you would find the same quality for much cheaper, thin plasterboard walls make everything loud

There's a lot more i could say, if I had paid 140 not 240 a night I would let things slide, but these guys are kidding themselves, don't stay here its really not worth it

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cam3535
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend break on a voucher. Had I booked on wotif.com I'm sure the value would've been better.
However, for summer in Perth you need to stay on the beach and you won't be disappointed.
Best location.
Rooms were good, recently renovated (long overdue) and reno's are still underway. Amazing view from bedroom.
Front foyer is under renovation as well, right now it's a cave and people were queuing to see front office staff, even when it wasn't busy. The lifts are slow but you can always have a quick conversation with ur new lift friends.
The pool area was fine, staff generous in offering sunscreen, towels and helping to sort your food by the pool. Always interesting to hear the shark alarms going off, in the morning on the beach too. A venue of high activity!
Hotel breakfast was included in our deal and it was bland greasy food. Eat out as nearby restaurants are much better.
On the Friday night there was a free outdoor cinema set up on the grassed area by the beach with the good ol' Ghostbusters movie on. Families and couples alike, were enjoying the scene.
So much potential. It was good all round. Very Aussie, very sloppy, very fun.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The recent guestroom refurbishment must have been done on the cheap. The 'new' carpet, furniture, finish, and style feels like it has been collected from the loading dock skip of a better hotel that has decided to disreagrd its outdated decor. It's a shame, as the Rendezvous could present as a world class beach-front hotel. But it doesn't.

The overstated refurbishment pales into insignificance compared to the attitude of the staff (not all - pool bar staff are ok - they're French). Ordering room service is an ordeal. After trying the quick-dial for In-Room Dining, Reception, and Restaurant (each ringing out several times over a period of 10 minutes) I had to take the lift to reception to place my order. Reception even had trouble getting through to 'In-Room Dining'. Eventually, I was passed the handset and after explaining that no-one was answering, I was told by the surly woman on the other end of the line, "well there's only two of us, and we're busy Darl!" What?! Then I asked to know the main meal options as I did not have a menu in my room, and was told, "well there should be in your room" (well there isn't), "that's odd, there must be one" (if there is, it's well hidden!), "I suppose I can get one, wait!". I just want to order something to eat, I don't want to feel responsible for why there isn't a menu in my room, or a lack of staff in your kitchen. At nearly $300 a night, and $30 plus for main meals, the expectation isn't for 5*, but rather, a level of service commensurate to the guest's payment amount. Turns out the food is poor, perhaps becasue there's only two in the kitchen. Also, my second night in-room order appeared only partly fulfilled - don't bother getting what I ordered, I am not wanting to wait on your incompetence.

The above is only a breif example of how this hotel treats it's guests, and I don't want to (or simply can't be bothered typing out) detail every annoyance encountered during a 3 day stay. I think I am a 'fair' Tripadvisor contributor, rarely rating a hotel Poor, and I appreciate that hotels are businesses, and sometimes they get it wrong like all businesses do, however, the Rendezvous at Scarborough in Perth is an avoid for me. There is a better hotel about 300m down the road that I would suggest looking into before even thinking of a booking at the Rendezvous.

Now, if the Hotel Management read this review and think of responding with the typiccal line of, "we wish you would have told us during your stay so we could have done something", don't. My initial complaint was brushed aside, so I felt no need to say anything further.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Scarborough
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
#12 of 66 in Perth

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough? Share your experiences!