Cafe del Pescatore
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2012

So to start with a positive, the location of this restaurant is great with a lovely view of the sea. That's where the positive review ends...
I'd been to this restaurant 8 or so years ago and had fond memories so on a recent trip back to Australia decided to return. The first thing that hit me was the price of the food...granted you're on prime seaside location but they are charging significantly more than other restaurants nearby. The food then arrived and I have to say the portion size was huge...there's literally no way you could get through it. I like my food and I'm not one to complain generally about there being too much on my plate but in this case it was overwhelming. If it had tasted good the.pn perhaps this wouldn't have been so much of a problem...
We had a seafood platter to share for starter. Pretty much everything on the plate tasted as if it had been frozen and then cooked to within an inch of its life. Really not pleasant, especially the calamari.
Main meals were distinctly average (I had a pasta dish, my partner had the barramundi) and at least 3/4 of each was left.
To top off the meal the staff cleared all tables and chairs from around us as they were clearly keen to finish for the night...given this was 10.30pm on a Saturday night it was crazy.
Fair to say ill not be returning....

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Nice venue but their prices are over the top for what you get. They need to come back to reality. For example they charge an expensive price for food then they offer accompanyments like tartare suace an an extra price of $4. And if you want tomato sauce it will cost you $3. Get real - this place is overcharging. on what can be descibed as a great looking menu selection that end up being average food. A seafood platter for one is $70 two resutarants down the street no more than 100metres away you will get a seafood basket that cannot be finnished (its huge !) for $32. I know where i will go in future.

Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We went here for lunch last weekend on a visit from Sydney. Location was great, right in front of the beach, sun was shining - lots of shade available and had a great summer feel. Service was attentive.

I had the battered fish and salad which was lovely and my partner have the spaghetti meatballs, also lovely. It is more expensive than Sydney standards but this in line with Perth standards.

Would recommend!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Scarborough is limited for variety, but do yourself a favour and don't visit here. My partner and I dined here 13th August 2012, 6pm to 7:30pm. Service was fine, one waitress on but there was only 6 people dining. I wasn't keen but wanted to give her seafood and lots of it, being a Monday the Pines buffet wasn't open.

$70 seafood platter for one - consisted of a burnt wing of red emperor (wing must mean pectoral fin and no meat), 2 oysters, 2 prawns, a burnt half moreton bay bug with no seasoning or sauce, a bowl of over cooked chilli mussels we couldn't eat, chewy calamari we couldn't eat, dry fillet of snapper she finished half of and supermarket wedges.

It's so easy to do a seafood platter well - fresh is best. Perth is famous for blue swimmer crabs, have one on there. 2 prawns? Really? 2 oysters? Really? For $70 you want to be wowed by the seafood, not the wedges. Fresh is best, especially at $70.

My chicken fillet with 4 prawns would have been ok at $24. At $39 it was over the top. It was after all a 1/4 of a chicken fillet with 4 small prawns. Tasty enough but horrendously priced. The reviews on other websites are bad. They are true to the mark.

Right up there with Aristos on Rottnest Island for the worst dining/value experience in WA.

1  Thank ShaneWylie
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Run by one of the old school Italian restaurateurs around Perth - he seems to be a proud Italian very attentive to customers' needs. The dhufish wings here were really good and the seafood platter was fresh with great variety and good taste.