“Good food, HUGE portions and friendly service”
Review of Cafe del Pescatore - CLOSED

Cafe del Pescatore
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I had lunch here on Anzac Day, there were a lot of busy restaurants and this one won me over with the menu. The restaurant is opposite the beach with many al fresco tables and the view is beautiful. It was a very hot day and the waiter kindly offered to open an umbrella to save me from the heat. The restaurant was busy but the staff were friendly and efficient.

The prices were a little steep but I decided to splurge. Had the prawn and avocado bruschette and it was HUGE. I was dining solo and not sure how I was going to finish it. It was a little pricey (I think about $20) but when I saw the size of the meal and the number of prawns I think the price was justified.

If I was in the area again I would definitely return.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Slow service, staff didn't have a clue when we asked them questions regarding the menu, food was average. Wouldn't recommend

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We walked by on a sunny Saturday afternoon, and thought we were in for a nice meal by the sea. WHAT A MISTAKE.
The place is obviously not set up for serving lunch, as the staff were extremely sleepy and seemed to care more about preparing for dinner than tend to the clients that just walked in.
the real problem is the FOOD. We ordered a sea food chowder from the "Chef's recommendation" menu. The chef was probably too busy to notice he was pouring KILOS of salt into the chowder. It was absolutely uneatable. Rather than take our word for it, the waitress asked to wait while she brings a spoon to taste it. HOW DEGRADING!
She agreed it was completely uneatable but than had to argue with the chef that actually had the nerve to disagree. We then replaced it with their gnocchi - which arrived swimming in SUPERMARKET SAUCE FROM A JAR - not kidding !!
We were offered no compensation, although the gnocchi was 27 dollars (!!!) which was 10 dollars more than the chowder.
They even charged us 4 dollars for 3 slices of 2-days-old white bread.
SHAMEFUL.
STAY AWAY

3  Thank Kevin_K82
Reviewed January 13, 2011

The best restaurant in Scarborough. Fresh seafood, always tasty, reasonably good staff and great atmosphere

Reviewed November 24, 2010

The restaurant is well located on the beachfront. The view isn't great as you can't see much of the ocean but the main attraction is watching the passers by on the busy sidewalk. We pre-booked an outdoor table last Saturday night and arrived at 6.45pm to be given a choice of several tables. We had to wait 15 minutes to order drinks and another 15 minutes for the drinks to arrive. Our entrees were good, expensive at $23-$26 but the Seafood Crepe was outstanding, plenty of fresh seafood and tasty sauces. My wife enjoyed the grilled squid. The mixed seafood with spaghetti ($39) for a mains was very tasty but the whole crayfish ($53) arrived quite overdone, a little dry and burnt around the edges.

The main problem with this restaurant is the lack of trained staff. Perth employers have difficulty finding and keeping trained staff due to the resources boom but it shows at this restaurant more so than any others we have visited. The staff look as though they don’t want to be there. Happy tables of visitors abound but amongst the staff there’s not a smile in sight. Dishes are not “served” but plonked on the table by the busy waitresses on their way to deliver dishes to other guests. The bottle of wine we ordered arrived at the table, was thrust into an iced holder and left for us to pour ourselves, not a single drop being poured by the staff all evening. The ladies mean well but clearly lack training. After our mains we waited more than 20 minutes to get someone’s attention to request dessert menus. Although the waitress had an arm full of menus she didn’t offer us one and just told us “All we have is the cakes in the case blah blah blah”, denying us the menus listing the options and pricing of these. Not what you want or expect from any restaurant staff. Luckily we had had a fabulous day and nothing could spoil it but I can sympathise with others who have reported their mood being dragged down by the staff here. When our bill arrived it was dropped on the table without a word and collected without a further word 10 minutes later.

My advice to Nick the owner would be get rid of the sad sacks, get the staff working as a team and they will soon pull in the tips, which must be non existent the way things are handled now.

Inside, the dozen or so tables were empty despite hundreds of people stopping for a look. The restaurant has the potential and position to be packed every night. Maybe the kitchen couldn’t cope with a full house but one can’t help but think with cheerful, helpful staff and a little staff training this place could be an absolute treat.