“So old, but there are pros & cons.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean View Motel

Ocean View Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“So old, but there are pros & cons.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for six nights. To be honest, it's not pretty. Very old, with stained carpet (I refused to go bare foot), a very old bathroom with nasty shower curtain instead of glass, so the entire bathroom was soaking wet after every shower. A filthy love seat chair. I used it to hold my suitcase because I was scared to look at it! Views of the garden shed (not kidding), the car park is right at the room door.
Oh, and reception is only operational from 8.30am to 3pm (approx), so when we got there, there was a piece if paper taped onto an external safety box for us to call a number. Too bad for international tourists without a mobile phone. Also too bad if you don't like your room or have a problem with it, because there is no one around to offer you a key to a different room.
There is a small bar fridge, toaster and kettle. But everything felt dirty and cheap. I can't see housekeeping would take plates and cutlery to wash them, so am taking a guess that they are just washed in the bathroom sink with water.
The upside is that the bed was actually quite comfortable. It is also walking distance to the beach.
The staff were friendly and even allowed us to use their laundry (including detergents).
The stairs are noisy and there are no lifts, so disabled or elderly guests should request a ground floor room.
I would not stay here again, unless it is refurbished. It certainly has potential to be a wonderful property.
I've since looked through comments here in trip adviser and it seems most people have the same thing to say. I've also noticed that the hotel manager writes a copy paste exact response to each comment, which demonstrates that he doesn't care about is guests or even installing confidence in future potential guests.
It is a cheap hotel, so you get what you pay for. Stay here if it's a quick visit and if you're not scared of germs!! And if you do stay here, do go and eat at zephyr, which is a 10 to 15 minute walk away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Michael C, General Manager at Ocean View Motel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Lee

Many thanks for your feedback following your stay at the Ocean View Motel.

Reading through your review it is clear that you were less than happy with your stay at the Motel. I am sorry to hear this but wanted to write to make you aware that we have commenced on works which will see an uplift to the look and feel of the Motel, these works include updates to carpets, painting and curtains and other soft furnishing items.

The Ocean View Motel is an older building and with current management rights only to the property, we are not planning a major overhaul to the property rather an improved maintenance programme. There are certain aspects of the physical nature of the building which will remain as is, for example the car park.

I was concerned to read that you felt the room was not cleaned to your satisfaction, we have employed a completely new team in housekeeping at the Motel and by and large the feedback since this decision was taken has been quite good, may we apologise should you have felt the opposite.

Our Reception Office is not open on a 24 hours basis at Ocean View Motel and we do for the most part reiterate this at the time of booking as well on the majority of booking channels available to this property. We do appreciate this can create problems for some guests, whilst we do not have plans at this time to create a 24 hour reception at Ocean View Motel, guests have access to a 24 hour reception which is within a 10-12 minute drive from the Motel and that team is well positioned to assist with out of hours queries as most of the team are crossed trained into both properties.

I welcome your opinion on other responses offered to reviews of Ocean View Motel, you may have noted these were replied to this year and some of the reviews were written as long as 2 years ago, so in a way, the note whilst very late was intended as a courtesy to acknowledge the feedback.

We do hope that you will consider staying again with us and I will be delighted to look after any reservations requirements for you. Please feel free to call me at any stage should you wish to discuss my reply in more detail.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NewZealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was an OK choice as I had friends at the same conference as me staying there with a car. Is close to beach but few views from the motel- short walk to the beach- long coastal walks and other walks close by.
Bed Ok, shower ok but stained shower curtain and dirty carpet. Has got aircon. Motel really has seen better days. Microwave, toaster, kettle, good sized fridge. No really cooking facilities. Small dark unit- I couldn't have curtain open as no privacy from other guests walking along.
There- was a good pasta restaurant around the corner- slightly up the hill and turn left. Six minute walk to a good bar/restaurant -Soda.
Overall a good place if you want to be near the beach on a budget.
The wifi was terrible- don't rely on it. To their credit they didn't charge us.
Ask for a corner unit on the front of the property or on the side facing the ocean views actually quite limited. Mine faced the carpark.

Room Tip: as above- ask for room 8 - had the best space and a small terrace- more private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your feedback following your stay at the Ocean View Motel.

It is good to see that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us. As with some other reviews, I am writing to update you that we have commenced on works which will see an uplift to the look and feel of the Motel, these works include updates to carpets, painting and curtains and other soft furnishing items. We have also recently installed two booster units for the wifi as well and we hope these will cope with two blind spots at the building.

Your point is well made in regards to the location of bedroom number 8, my personal favourite is room 12.

Thank you for your suggestions about local restaurants, we do list a selection in the guest compendium and of course Hilary’s Harbour complex is located within 10 minutes- drive which offers approximately 10-15 restaurants of various cuisines. Within 10 minutes-drive to the south is Scarborough Beach another area with a good selection of restaurants to choose from.

We hope to see you soon and do feel free to call me at any stage should you require any assistance with regards to reservations.

Bridgetown WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The room was fine, bed comfy, friendly staff. My only complaint was the noise from the carpark and the other units. You could hear everything said and done around you. This unfortunately didnt allow for a restful nights sleep as it was about midnight when the noise died down and around 4.30am when people arose and started showering! (yes, I knew exactly what they were doing, thats how much the noise from the pipes and voices travelled). Shame really as the hotel is in a lovely position across from the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jamiru

Thank you for providing feedback following your stay at the Ocean View Motel.

It is good to see that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind feedback in regards to the service which you experienced at the Motel.

I am sorry that the quiet enjoyment of your stay appears to have been marred by noise created from other guests. Generally speaking this is not a major problem, but I apologise again that you encountered such an inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Motel at some stage in the future and I would be delighted to oversee your reservation details myself personally, please feel free to call me at any stage should you require any assistance with regards to reservations.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

The title says it all. This is not a 5 star hotel but considering we paid 224 for two nights by the beautiful beach it was excellent value.
Check in was smooth as can be, the manager was friendly and the motel was quiet.
The room was ample, more space than you'd get in most motels. The kitchenette was basic but workable.
A few light fittings were broken and this detracted from the room slightly.
The bathroom was average, I didn't spend too much time in there due to my own germ-phobia but an update might be in order! Plastic shower curtains? Not okay! A small update of the vanity and shower area would liven up the room immeasurably.
Despite having a basic motel room, we did get a slight sunset view! Sure it was with our noses pressed against the glass on the very left of the window, but considering we didn't pay for it, it was nice.
Location was the main selling point of this hotel. The view of the beach if you just take a casual stroll out your door is exquisite and picturesque.
Management has also gone to the effort of including a compendium of information about the region, things to do and more importantly, food delivery services. It felt more or less like room service! This was a great feature. I only remember an Italian restaurant being featured, more variety would definitely add value for a quiet night in.
This motel is very close to Hilary's (less than a 5 minute drive) and to a local IGA, strip of restaurants and public transport.
On my way out though, I did spot some black grime on the suitcase bench which freaked me out! Perhaps it was an oversight, but attention to detail really shines. Room cleaning was offered every day though, much to my delight!

Overall I enjoyed my stay immensely. Thank you to the friendly staff for the 5 star service!

Room Tip: Next time I'll shell out the extra for a sunset room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review the Motel and providing feedback following your stay at the Ocean View Motel.

The local team and I are pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay overall and thank you for highlighting some of the key attributes for the Motel. We are continuously striving to improve on guest service and the response from our team as well as soft furnishing updates and this will also improve the look and feel of the bedrooms.

It is fair to say that the Motel offers good value for money and with its proximity to a host of beach’ and numerous dining options the location is quite favourable.

We hope to see you soon and if I can be of any further assistance at all please do let me know.

Albany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

definitely value for money.The staff have spot on customer service. It has been a long time since a hotel has bent over backwards to make sure I am happy. Any problems tell them it will be fixed straight away. I will be staying here whenever I am in Perth and I travel often being in the travel industry

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

We are delighted to hear you were so pleased with every aspect of your stay and I’m so happy we were able to respond to your requests in a favourable manner.

Thanks also for your comments concerning your comfort and cleanliness of the bedrooms, these are well received.

I have shared your great feedback with all of our Team and I know they appreciate the recognition, thank you.

Hope to see you back at the Ocean View Motel very soon.

Barcelona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Enquiry Submitted Online - Still no response.
Hi there,
We are writing to inform you of our disapointment regarding a booking we made through your website telephone number last week.
My partner and I and our 2 year old come up to North Beach to spend the night after having meetings in the city. We really picked out where we wanted to stay for a number of different reasons. 1.) being in an area we had never stayed before. 2.) Ocean views. 3.) Spa bath in the suite room as per the photo graphs on the website. You can imagine our disappointment when we turn up to find that our booking had been taking at another location and we had not been informed about it.
Our child was well over due for a sleep so we had no choice but to take this option. We travelled back down to Scarborough which we had already stayed before and got a room that was on such a busy road and spa bath was not in the actual room as the bed, which we really wanted so our daughter could play while we relaxed but we could still supervise her.
All of the staff were really friendly (however I never actually got an apology for the huge inconvenience). I did get told however that this happens a lot. May I suggest that it is made clear where you are making the booking when talking to customers that call through this website number. I look forward to your response

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BlueBellBarcelona
Dear Reviewer

We are very grateful for your feedback following your recent stay here at the Ocean View Motel.

It would appear that on the evening in question, we potentially failed to manage our bedroom sales in a correct and accurate manner. May we apologise most sincerely for this oversight. Be rest assured that this oversight, however unacceptable is quite rare as we have a strict and clear policy on over selling of bedrooms within our properties. Please accept my apologies once again for the inconvenience of the error.

I trust that you will give some thought to returning and staying with us. Should you have a requirement for accommodation in the area please call me directly as I will be delighted to ensure you have a favourable rate and of course an altogether better experience on your next stay.

Once again thank you for taking time to feedback to the Motel, if you should wish to discuss any further aspects of our reply please do feel free to call me.

Travelers are raving about these North Beach hotels

Townsville, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

What is it with accommodation in this city!! My partner stayed here for 2 nights while on a work trip and was yet again disappointed. Whilst the ocean and sunset views were great (although if you're in a ground floor room you'll have to walk down to the beach because ground floor rooms don't have any substantial view) the list of things wrong goes like this. No ironing board. Iron covered in black muck that stained a brand new shirt. Hairs and mould-covered ceiling in the bathroom. Peeling paint. Sliding security door doesn't lock. Not enough car parks. Shower temperature constantly shifted between hot and cold. Outdoor furniture old and rusting. Lack of powerpoints. Very small rooms.

He advised that he would be arriving late but did not receive a response. When he arrived the office was closed and he had to search around for ages for a small note that had been left. Staff did not answer e-mails during the stay.

The only positives were the location - 30 seconds walk to the beach, walking distance to shops, restaurants and pubs, 20 mins drive to Perth CBD.

Maybe if they spent some money doing the place up I would score it higher. If you're just looking for somewhere to sleep then it's adequate, if you're looking for a holiday destination find something else.

Room Tip: Upstairs has a view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thanks you for your feedback following your stay at the Ocean View Motel.

Reading through your review it is clear that your stay could have been much better. Whilst we cannot change the size of the bedrooms which we feel are of a good size, we wanted to write to make you aware that we have commenced on works which will see an uplift to the look and feel of the Motel. We have already made some changes to the grounds around the building as well with the aim of improving on the look and feel of the Motel.

Whilst we could not trace emails from ocean view motel which remained unanswered we would always encourage guests to call us as well should there be an issue we need to attend to. Whilst our local reception is not a 24 hour service, guests do have access to a nearby 24 hour reception service available and with reasonably good response times to our guests.

Your point about the location of the Motel is very well made, set back from the Ocean on Lawley Street we are within minutes walking distance to the beach and within minutes driving distance to some of the Sunset Coast's great tourist attractions.

I was concerned to read that you felt the room was not cleaned to your satisfaction, we have employed a completely new team in housekeeping at the Motel and by and large the feedback since this decision was taken has been quite good, may we apologise should you have felt that some aspects of your room lacked in cleanliness.

Please feel free to call me at any stage should you wish to consider staying with us again, I would be very happy to make suitable arrangements for you. Thanks once again for your feedback which is much appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Beach
Joondalup City Hotel
Joondalup City Hotel
#4 of 4 in Joondalup
Quality Resort Sorrento Beach

Been to Ocean View Motel? Share your experiences!