“Beautiful view and scrumptious deserts!!”
Review of The Blue Duck

The Blue Duck
Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Cottesloe
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Australian, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Perched above the sand dunes of the famous Cottesloe Beach, The Blue Duck is an iconic restaurant that has uninterrupted, panoramic views over Rottnest Island and the Indian Ocean. This busy restaurant is the heart of the local community and the place to go for those in the know. With its relaxed atmosphere and friendly professional service, it's the place to catch up with friends over a coffee, watching a glorious sunset over a turquoise ocean or enjoying dinner with a beer or bottle of wine.
Eire
“Beautiful view and scrumptious deserts!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Popped in after a few hours on the beach for a nice cuppa and a little treat! The choice of deserts on offer was mouthwatering so we opted for 2 different types and shared them between four of us. The portions were huge and one was more than enough for two people. We went for the carrot cake and a walnut type cake that had just been baked that morning. Truly delicious.

Looked at the prices for lunch and dinner which were the same and thought they were expensive looking, but everything has gone up in price since we visited last time.

Only problem was that the people we were with returned 5 days later and had the same cake which tasted stale!! They are convinced it was the same one baked the morning we were there which really is unacceptable. The staff didn't seem to bothered about it either.

It is a very relaxing place, beautiful views and really lovely food, just make sure it's baked fresh.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Hera08

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
“Balmy 5 star dinner”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Seated out on the deck one balmy afternoon, just in time for sunset. What a perfect set up they have here.
The scallops were by far the best I have ever had. So fresh and well complimented with a lemon//thyme sauce and summer salad.
Can't remember what I had for mains but I know it was just as divine. Have been looking for an excuse to come back here for a long time. If you want to pop the question, I would suggest this romantic setting by far.
You might as well plan your reception while you're there, as their function room also provides a euphoric setting for guests and the big day! (Providing she says yes!)

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Less than average”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My first visit was 2 years ago when the waitress assumed I was a dish washer or something and ordered me to use the staff entrance. I was appalled and have not been back until recently only to meet a friend there. The service bordered on insolent, the food awful and so over priced. The view is if course a spectacle, but you can get that on a park bench next door with your dignity and wallet intact.

Perth, Australia
“The Blue Duck - Only the view deserves a positive comment.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Excellent location great view but my god what terrible food, micro wave heated fish??? you guys should really spend some time, effort and money and get a decent chef to match your location, the service too is hopeless - u ready to order mate - is not the way to address your customers.
Shame liked the view but wont be back.

• Visited December 2012
South Australia
“Average is being generous!”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

What a shame this restaurant put the 'trip advisor' sticker on their window as it prompted me to write this negative review. I am not normally a negative person and try to consider that everyone appreciates different things when dining out but I have to comment on the poor service we received when dining here last Monday night.

After staying 5 nights in Cottesloe we decided to treat ourselves and go out for a really nice dinner on our last night. We had taken the time over the 5 days to look at quite a few restaurants (menus/prices etc) and although it is reasonably pricey (I have no qualms paying good $$ for a quality dining experince) we decided to give it a go, largely due to the gorgeous location.

On arrival we were greeted (if you can call it that) by a woman and seated as far as possible from the other guests, isolated down the other end of the restaurant despite there being tables in the main dining area and outside. I largely believe this was due to the fact we had our 9 month old daughter with us. Can I point out at this stage I believe I am an extremley considerate parent and if my child was crying, acting out, making a fuss I would take her for a walk and remove her from the situation so as not to disturb the other diners. However my daughter, not yet crawling, sat under the table and played with my purse the entire time. She was so quiet in fact, she actually surprised our drink water.

So there we sat, removed from the other diners, waiting for our tap water (which arrived as we asked for the bill) watching as all the other tables in gorgeous locations filled up. Our drinks arrived promptly but it was a long period before the lady returned to take our meal order. Not at one stage did she smile, make eye contact with any of us or attempt any conversation, in fact she actually interuptted ours with so much of an 'excuse me.'

The meals when they arrived were smallish, but all were lovely. We all had something different and all thoroughly enjoyed it although my husbands was slightly cool and I had seen it sitting under the heat lamp for a long time before the meals were brought over.

I just cant emphasise enough how much good service can make or break an experience. The desert menu looked AMAZING, but after having our disinterested, rude waitress barely give us any attention for the entire evening, we passed on a second round of drinks and a desert and went and brought an ice cream on the way home! So I am sorry but you just lost yourself another easy $100 off our bill.

Like I said, I am not normally a negative person but we travel a lot and also my husband works in tourism and we are subject to a variety of experiences and the key to all of them is good customer service. Since becoming a mum 9 months ago i have NEVER been made to feel unwelcome but I certainly was here. I dont want people to stop dining here as the place really does look amazing but I sincerely hope, if nothing else, this is fed back to the managers and they do something about their customer service in the future.

• Visited November 2012