“Really amazing value and we miss it!”

Ocean Beach Backpackers
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We arrived in November and stayed for almost three weeks in a 6 bed dorm.
The rooms are big, bright and had high ceelings.
We had our own bathroom and the whole room was cleaned daily!
Staying there felt like luxuary compared to what we are in now!
Such a great location and lovely people!
We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for room 11, big windows and good shower!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is an awesome hostel to stay in whilst in Perth. I've stayed here a couple of times and will definitely be back next time I'm in Perth.

The beach is literally across the road and it is a close walk to the shops in Cottesloe. The staff are very helpful and friendly and it is a great place to meet new people. Rooms and kitchen are kept clean so is definitely value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My recent holiday in Perth saw me returning to Ocean Beach Backpackers. The first time was three years ago and when I decided to visit Perth again last month, Ocean Beachpackers was the obvious choice. Clean and quiet accommodation, it is good value for money considering that cost of accommodation has gone up significantly since my first visit. The twin room with attached bathroom was spacious compared to another backpackers accommodation in the city. Easy to get around with a bus stop close by and a 15 minute walk to the train station or 5 minutes walk to the neighborhood supermarket. Lots of eateries nearby.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cliff6108
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is by far the best hostel to stay in in Perth. When first arrived here my friend and I spent hours looking at other hostel that were all dirty and overpriced. We were so happy to get a room here, such a lovely place. Rooms were clean and with own fridge & bathroom, internet is not cheap but the cafe next door has free internet which can be picked up in reception and some dorms. Kitchen could be better, but is generally similar to other hostel kitchens, they do a free BBQ on a wednesday and staff are really helpful, especially Alex. It can be noisy on a Sunday night when the bar next door gets busy, but it closes at 10pm, so you are not kept awake too late. I am going to stay here again when visiting Perth and would tell all my friends to come here, after 11 months of travel its the best hostel i've stayed in.

Room Tip: If you can handle the noise of the road, get a room over looking the ocean.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank jessicaevie
Reviewed May 22, 2012

At a hostel this place is ok. Its clean and its right near a beautiful beach. However its noisy and I mean really noisy!!! I would avoid, I wouldnt recommend to a friend nor would i return....I value my sleep!

Good bits
We had a triple room, which consisted of a double and two singles. The beds were made on arrival which was great. It was also nice to have a quilt rather than blankets. The room was clean and we had an en-suite - shower, loo and sink. The shower dripped all night but as soon as we reported it they fixed it. Towels were included. free parking. Tv rooms

bad bits
I had informed the hostel of our arrival time by email yet there was no one there to let us in. After 30 hours of travelling from London this was annoying. He then moaned at us about how late we were and how he was working a double shift.
You have to pay $20 per key refundable deposit.
Internet is $4 per hour
to rent a bike is $27 per day. I rented a car locally for the same!!
Security isnt great - although there are people working, there are so many different shofts they have no idea who is resident or not.
private rooms only get cleaned every four days. dorms daily.

THIS IS THE NOISEST PLACE IVE EVER EVER STAYED. THE RESIDENTS HAVE NO RESPECT FOR PEOPLE TRYING TO SLEEP. This was consistent throughout our stay from the sat night to wed night. Every night there was no silence until about 3am (none at all on the sat night) and would then start again about 5am!! High heels walking on the wooden floor, screaming, talking so loudly on the phone they could probably hear in europe, making dinner at 4am in the microwave....the list goes on.

Its about 10 mins walk to either Grant street or Cottesloe station (about $3 into perth or freemantle which both take about 20-30 mins), there are lots of local buses.
There is an IGA supermarket about 3 mins walk, a bottle shop right next door, as well as a pub (which was always dead!!) and a number of restaurants within a few minutes walk.

The area in general is expensive. A full breakfast about $20-25. Dinner without wine $50pp.

the beach is lovely and definately worth a visit.

Stay here is you want to be near the beach, otherwise stay in Perth and get the train out for a day trip!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mariepuk
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Right on the beach, 35 bus right into the city and great rooms certainly compared to hostels in perth!

Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This was the first place I stayed in Oz and I was pleasantly surprised. The room was good with tea/coffee facilites, lockers and a fridge. Location was amazing, right on the beach. Atmosphere could be better as there are a lot of people who have been there for a few months and have already made their groups of friends. The biggest problem I had was lack of air con as it was over 40 degrees when we stayed, but hey you can't have everything. Internet may seem expensive but it is about the same price throughout Perth from what I have seen. Would definately go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottesloe
Ocean Beach Hotel
West Perth
Quest West Perth
Quest West Perth
#4 of 66 in Perth

Been to Ocean Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!