“Nice enough hostel”

Ocean Beach Backpackers
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed here in Jan for 2 nights in a private room. The room was quite big and quite clean with a private bathroom. The hostel itself is quite big but I imagine as a result of this it could get quite busy in the kitchens at peak times. You had to pay a refundable deposit to hire crockery and the internet was quite pricey.
The location of the hostel was great, right on the beach front but about a half hour bus ride to the city.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 23, 2012

This hostel is right on Cottesloe beach which is absolutely beautiful. There were also lots of jobs available in the hostel and the local area which were always advertised on the notice board. We were in a private room and our room was thoroughly cleaned and our bedding changed every 4 days and our towels were replaced and very clean every 2 days. The bike hire was fairly expensive however you can hire body boards snorkels etc for free which was a big bonus for us. Laundry facillities were also good value. Only downside is that our bedroom was facing the courtyard and this was very noisy at night, especially if staff had the left the light on as it meant as soon as they had gone home the drinking circles started up (despite this being an alcohol free hostel).

Room Tip: Rooms away from the courtyard will probably be quieter
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank elliott86
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Ocean Beach Hostel is brilliant.

Very clean throughout, friendly staff, great all rounder!

The place is literally a minutes walk from the beach and you get the proper Australian feel for the place.

Being close to the beach does seem to attract a few undesirables to the place - but they are dealt with the correct way and evicted swiftly!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We arrived at this beach front backing hostel following a 17 hour flight and were exhausted.
Found the staff to be precise and to the point but not especially welcoming or friendly. Our room was pretty good for a hostel having a mini fridge and en-suite.
Excellent location being 50 metres from the sea-wonderful walking and views to be had.
A real negative was the extremely poor sleep quality whilst staying at this hostel. Notices were placed all over the hostel requesting that guests were respectful of others and quiet after 10pm-unfortunately this was not the case. Every night was like a Saturday night with guests drinking/shouting/fighting into the wee hours.
We are all for partying and enjoying life, but it is a basic requirement of human functioning to have adequate sleep!!!-and not 2-3 hours per night! If you are young and/or a party animal then this place is ideal for you. However, if you do like to sleep for more than a few hours, I suggest that you look elsewhere-you may end up grouchy!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I have heard that generally hostels in Perth & Freemantle are not good. So I was glad I was staying at OBB in Cottesloe, seconds from the beach which is perfect for those hit days, away from all the hustle and bustle. Rooms are a good size with ensuite bathrooms and good level of cleanliness. Kitchen is a little small for everyone but cleaned twice a day. No alcohol policy so you can get some sleep at night!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I moved this backpacker from terrible "backpacker's inn frematle". When I got in the room, I was surprised that there was clean,big&bathroom!!!! It looked like standard hotel!! The locataion was really nice!!! While I had been staying here,I went to beach in the morning&nigth everyday!! The kitchen was a little bit small but it was clean and comfortable for me to use it :D People also stayed here were really friendly&nice!!!
I will definately recommend my friends to stay here if they would like to have good time in australian life!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2010

The title of this review says it all. This was our final week in Australia and just wanted beach and sun. We were recommended this hostel by a travel agent. We had met up with some friends who were traveling and seen their hostel and was pleasantly surprised. This was what made me agree to trying the hostel. It was less than a minute walk from the beach but we found ourselves staying on the beach from 9am to 6pm just to avoid going back. The rooms were dirty, the staff were rude and the kitchen...dont get me started. There was no backpackers vibe and the other people staying there weren't to impressed either (reassuring that it wasnt just me!). The bed was like sleeping on bare springs and my flip flops didnt leave my feet in the washroom. Shockingly poor.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple