“best day ever in the water”
Review of Ningaloo Reef Dive

Ningaloo Reef Dive
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Coral Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale Shark Interaction Tours, Manta Ray Interaction Tours, Snorkelling & SCUBA Diving Tours, Dive Courses, equipment sales & SCUBA Tank Refills in the small, remote community of Coral Bay, Western Australia on the World Heritage listed Ningaloo Reef. Our dedicated, passionate crew are waiting to take you out and show you what the region has to offer. At Ningaloo Reef Dive we are committed to the conservation & protection of the NIngaloo Reef Marine Park and the safety,education & enjoyment of our visitors.
Cody, Wyoming
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“best day ever in the water”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I turned 50 last year and put "swim with a whale shark" on my bucket list. My family and I were heading to Exmouth and expected to try and hook up with a tour there. We stopped in Coral Bay first and learned that the weather had been poor and boats from Exmouth weren't able to go out due to strong winds but the Coral Bay boats were fine. I signed up with the only show in town (the others had quit for the season) which was Ningaloo Reef Dive. These guys were awesome. From the 5mm full wet suit they lent me - since I get so cold and wanted extra floatation - to the whale-watching tour enroute to the whale shark dive this day was amazing. We were the only whale shark boat out the day that I went and when we found the shark we had 60 minutes to interact with it. My group of 10 tried our best and after 49 minutes in the water with it we were all spent. In addition to our 49 minutes with the whale shark we did two reef dives, one before and one after. We saw reef sharks, reef fish and sea turtles. Our guides were terrific and the boat captain awesome. I would recommend this company without reservation. But be warned, if there is a chop out at sea - which there was for us - the swimming is challenging! But the guides will get you through if you are motivated.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank momwithtoddler46
NingalooReefDive, Owner at Ningaloo Reef Dive, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank You for your review! We were privilaged to have helped you out with your 'Bucket List' and so happy that you had the best day ever. Cheers!

• Korean first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“The best day EVER!!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I went out with Ningaloo Reef Dive for the manta ray trip and absolutely loved it! We had the best day. The first snorkeling spot is beautiful, we saw sting ray, squid and turtles. Swimming with the manta ray was tiring but worth it and at the second snorkeling spot we saw about 10 reef sharks at their 'cleaning spot'. AMAZING. The skipper and crew were very friendly and there was plenty of food throughout the day. Would recommend this trip to everyone.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Lucy J
Thanks so much for your lovely review! It means the world to us.
I should have told you this ages ago but hope you accept my belated thanks.
We all hope to see you here again one day.
Kind regards, Tonja
York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant trip!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was one of my best days of my whole three months in Australia! Me and my girlfriend did the manta ray tour! They take you to amazing dive / snorkel sites we saw turtles sting rays and lots of fish then they use a plane to find the manta rays where you all hop out and go swimming with them! They served us an adequate but not amazing lunch before we went to another snorkelling site where we saw reef sharks! They staff, captain and two girls were brilliant and really friendly! It was defiantly dive orientated but us and several others were just snorkelling and it was still a great day! Very highly recommended!

This is way too late but I just wanted to thank you for your great review! It is always brilliant to hear about our guests having a good day out with us. Thank You... Oh, and we've taken your hint and made the lunch on the dive boat just that little bit better, we've been putting on an extra crew member as a snorkel guide whenever we can too, so hopefully that will make our snorkelers feel that they are just as important to us as our divers.... You are you know.
Kind regards, Tonja.
Mirboo North, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Manta Ray Snorkling trip”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I did the full day Manta Ray tour, and loved every second of it except when the day was over! Ningaloo Reef in Coral Bay is home to over 200 types of hard corals and a multitude of reef fish including sea turtles, white and black tip sharks, shovel nose sharks and stingrays..
The lovely crew on board were extremely professional and very knowledgable about the reef and especially about the Manta Rays..
Safety of the passengers,the crew and most importantly of the ocean creatures were paramount throughout the day.. Lunch was a light buffet affair...
Did 2 very long snorkels around the bommies and 2 drops in to swim with the Mantas where I observed a Female in a mating ritual with 3 Male suitors..
If your staying in town a few days, then head out and snorkel on your own in the bay plenty areas where you can see coral and reef fish and all very close to shore.. ENJOY!

Visited September 2012
I have just been revisiting our guest comments on Trip Advisor and wanted to thank you for your awesome review! I'm sorry I didn't thank you sooner but wanted to let you know that we do appreciate the time you have taken to let people know what you thought of your day with us. We hope to see you again one day. Kind regards, Tonja.
Adelaide, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Shorediving not allowed by law?”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I travelled around Oz in a campervan with 4 tanks under the bed and our own dive gear. Arriving at Coral Bay with empty tanks (we had emptied them in Exmouth by shore diving in the Cape Range National Park ~ also an amazing experience), we needed air fills so we went to this local dive shop.

At first the people were really friendly, but once they knew we were there for shorediving, they did not want to help us at all. To be exact, they told us that the Department of Environment and Conservation prohibited shore diving in the Coral Bay area (so they weren't allowed to fill up our tanks) and they tried to sell us a double dive on their boat!!

As we couldn't believe this to be true, we rang the department and the lady on the phone told us that the department actually had a booth in town that we could visit to find out more. Thirty minutes later, a dive map of the area with the best dive sites marked on it in our hands and a bit annoyed we returned to the dive shop and after showing them that the Department of E&C had no problem with us shore diving the bay whatsoever, the next excuse came up - they couldn't fill our tanks, because our tanks had a DIN valve (which is different from their own valves)!

Luckily we had that problem solved easily, as we had our own screw-in adapters, after which they finally agreed to fill up our tanks.

On our whole trip around Oz (we drove from Adelaide, via Melbourne, the east coast, up to Cairns, via the red centre and Darwin, down the west coast to Perth - 18.000km - and shore dived all over the country), this must have been the worst customer service experience we've had!

That being said, the diving on the Ningaloo Reef is phenomenal (we did a lot of kayak diving on the Ningaloo Reef and heaps of shore dives in and around the bay) and unfortunately this is the only shop in town, so this will be your only choice if you want to dive from Coral Bay. Luckily the Ningaloo Reef can be reached from Exmouth as well - which is also home to the Exmouth Navy Pier, one of the top 10 dive sites in the world :) An easy choice if you ask me!

Visited August 2011
10 Thank ILuv2Scuba
360SteveP, Owner at Ningaloo Reef Dive, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
The Department of Environment and Conservation do not allow any shore diving here at Coral Bay, as to why they said otherwise is a mystery to the department and myself, maybe a trainee ranger or a reception person who does not know of the standing with ningaloo reef dive and the department.
we where asked in 2007 to seize hiring diving equipment to persons that had not booked a tour as on several occasions divers hired gear and went shore diving but due to the fact it is only no more than 3 metres in depth (why use Scuba) the tanks done alot of damage to the Corals because the problems with any diver experienced or not trying to bouyant themselfes at this very shallow depth.

Owner Ningaloo Reef Dive