“A pleasant and memorable stay”

Walhalla's Star Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walhalla
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is great old style country accommodation. (The original hotel was built in the 1800s, but the present building dates from just 1999.) We had a large upstairs room with two large single beds made together, en suite, and balcony overlooking a stream and out to a wooded hillside. The rooms all had curious names: our's was called 'Fear Not'. The room was very nicely decorated with heating, air conditioning and a ceiling fan. The bed lighting was not strong enough for me to read comfortably. The bedside tables appeared to be made from small corrugated tanks - novel in an historic sort of way! There was also a sofa, a desk with lamp, a small fridge, a large mirror, but no pictures - surely a couple of nice historic photos would be in place here! The bathroom was smart with an enormous mirror, plenty of soaps, etc, and a sign asking guests to please conserve water. (There seemed to be plenty in the stream!) This meant that the shower was not such a great experience ... . Facilities for making tea and coffee were just outside the door, and shared by the half dozen upstairs rooms. There was no room TV, and I'm not sure one could even get any reception down in this valley. There was a charming and comfortable guest lounge downstairs with a fire, comfy chairs, and reading material. Our room had a CD player, and there were CDs in the lounge for general use. The accommodation was bed and breakfast and we had a very satisfying continental breakfast served in the hotel restaurant. Dinner was unavailable in the restaurant, at least during the week. Owner Michael was very friendly and helpful. This was a very pleasant and memorable stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Thank you for your review I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Just to explain why we have no pictures on the walls in the bedrooms...when I built the hotel some 13 years ago I went through the process of showing guests pictures, paintings and artworks of various different styles. This included B&W photos of Walhalla during it's heyday. To my surprise, many people found the B&W photos "creepy" to having a bedroom especially if there were people in the photo. Some people even said they would sleep in a room with an old photo of someone "looking down on them"...as a consequence the "historic" Wahalla photos are in the guests' lounge to enjoy. As for other paintings/art...for everyone who said they liked a painting...there was another person who said they didn't...there was [once again] a surprising number of people who said "do nothing...leave the walls clear...it's calming"...so therefore I gave up on the paintings and left it as what most people said I should do. As for water in the creek...everyone should remember that Walhalla is an ex old mining town and we do not recommend that you shoud drink the water...it looks safe...but...hence why we use tank water collected from rain on our roof.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I had the priviledge of staying at the Star this (Aussie) summer just gone and even the memory brings joy. There is no way this is luxury so don't expect it, but there are comforts to delight in. Our twin room was very large and had, as well as two comfy beds, a chais lounge and other bits of furniture that seemed designed to entice you to sit and become ensconsed, which is easy to do in this wonderful town which is both historical and very scenic. Decor had been well thought through, including cut-off corrugated iron barrels (or at least conjured up that look) that were used the bedlamps/bed tables. There were doors that opened out on to a wooden balcony (and a view of bush but at very close range, so not a spectacular view by any long shot) but, from memory, I think this was a shared balcony, so it was not particularly private. The room had everything a reasonable person could expect but, again, some people have expectations of toothbrushes and things. No, it didn't have those. Nor should it. Since when are people incapable of bringing their own toothbruses, for crying out loud? I should mention, however, that there was no TV - something most people probably would expect. Bear in mind that the old Walhalla, which the atmosphere here is trying to elicit, did not have TV and really, there are far too many nice walks, good books, etc, to get upset about no TV. For me this was a benefit. There are games and magazines and entertainment to be had. Breakfast was very nice. It was only continental but we knew this in advance and so didn't expect much. However, there were croissants, a very good range of coffees, teas and herbal beverages, etc, as well as fruit, a very decent range of cereals, etc. Manager was helpful and friendly without being intrusive. We certainly enjoyed our stay very much and people who like character and don't need their egos boosted by excessive pampering and the need to have TV constantly on, will most probably also enjoy this historic hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Beautifily restored hotel in Walhalla, nice size room with very efficient heating ( very necessary in winter). No mobile phone service in town, no phone or tv in the room ---- bliss !!! Bathroom was a good size however the shower cubicle was very small, the bed was a super king size which was great but we found it much too firm for us. The hotel restaurant was not open but the Wally Pub was only a short stroll away, serving counter meals which were enormous. We were only there overnight but enjoyed the solitude, the lovely walks around the town and exploring the village.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LisaaC59
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Good hotel. Good hosts (they respond to clients in terms of distance or friendliness desired). Good supper (although 18:30 fixed sitting is a tad early for my taste). Breakfast could be better at the rate, but it is sufficient.
Don’t hesitate for a room at front overlooking the street – it is totally quiet and you feel as though you are transported back in time as you look out onto the historic buildings around.
I would give 3* in terms of value – it’s not cheap and breakfast was average.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Thank you for your review. I should point out to all our tripadvisor readers is that you pay a premium over other nearby areas to stay in Walhalla. That's simply because the costs of operation in Walhalla are much higher than even a few kilometres away. Being classed a "remote" area [well I don't think it's remote] all of our suppliers either A: charge us additional or B: don't deliver or provide any service. Therefore, this pushes up the cost of even the most basic items needed to operate a hotel. For example, laundry costs us nearly double in Walhalla than it does in the nearby Latrobe Valley [45km away]. Unfortunately these costs need to be covered so every B&B and hotel in Walhalla will charge more than a motel in other towns. That's just a reality of being in unique places like Walhalla. We must remember that part of the charm of staying in any hotel/B&B in Walhalla is you're in actually in Walhalla, a beautiful town with a unique and fascinating history in an amazing setting. There is no doubt you can get a much cheaper accommodation in Morwell that's 45 kilometres away...but it's Morwell and I doubt you'd have the same overall experience.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Let me start by saying the Star is still an acceptable place to stay. We stayed here 7 years ago and it was outstanding. This latest stay was a little disappointing to the point where we will be looking elsewhere for our future trips to the area. My Wife and I are keen bush walkers and love walking this area. As a result a comfortable bed after a long days walk is appreciated. Unfortunately the furnishings at the Star are showing their age. The rooms are basic. The beds are rock hard (some may like it that way) The bar fridge is freestanding and in the case of both the rooms we have stayed in, noisey. Unfortunately this stay we were in a room at the back of the property next to what I suspect was the pump that feeds water from the water tanks to the building. This pump starts up periodically day and night and was loud enough to constantly wake me throughout the night. The view from our room left a lot to be desired. Of 3 windows, one looked at an embankment, the next window along looked at the side of a water tank and the side window, down the main street in the direction of the caravan park. We were not there for the view from the room so this isn't any more than a minor irritation. There is a small balcony out the back facing the embankment and the hotels "junk area" The ashtray with the butts from the previous occupants of the room was a bit offputting and showed a lack of attention to detail that has crept into this property. The junk area really is an eyesore and just shouldn't be visible to guests. The restaurant has really slumped in quality. We ate there previously and even brought friends there for dinner. This time the meal was a joke. I highly suspect the meals had been made sometime earlier and reheated. The food was dried out and crusty. We breakfasted there as well but I didn't find much to entice me. A glass of fruit juice and a coffee was all that appealed. The centre of the restaurant was decorated with a totally dead arrangement of bird of paradise flowers and no I don't think it was mean't to be a dried arrangement as it was sitting in brown slimy water. This arrangement was in place for the 3 days of our stay. As I've said attention to detail is lacking. The current owners seen better suited to a backpackers rather than a property the calibre of the Star. If your staying in Walhalla, I'd recommend the Star as a safe bet but don't expect value for money or much in the way of creature comforts, everything IS basic. Better would be one of the B&B's in the immediate location. The advantage to the restaurant at the Star isn't really worth the premium that you pay.

3  Thank JJW007
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2012

Thank you for your review and taking the time to give your feedback. It would have been nice it at some time during your 3 day stay if you could have said something to me as I would have liked to have had the opportunity to rectify the problem[s] while you were staying with us and provide you with a more enjoyable experience. However, given that this was not the case, I have inspected the room you were staying in to my eye the furnishing are in very good to excellent condition. In fact, this room was repainted pre-NYE. The "junk area" you refer to is actually the service yard and is home to items like water tanks, our wood pile, a washing line and plants in pots. All of these items are necessary for running a hotel, especially one on tank water. I've posted some photographs of the room with it's view so people can make their own assessment of the "junk area" and as to whether it is an "eyesore". I apologise if your meal was not to your liking. For the record, all of our meals are prepared fresh and we always try to maintain a high standard. As for the flower arrangement in the restaurant...I did raise my eyes when this was put in...simply because it looked dead to me when it was first purchased. I have no idea what kind of "bird of paradise" thing it was...but it was black and dried out right from the start [not red like normal]! I personally thought it was damn ugly...as a consequence I've requested "no more of those hidious things" from our florist! I agree that it didn't add any value to the ambiance [or my florist bill!!!]. Sorry that you didn't find our breakfast appealing, it shows that everyone has different tastes as we have many reviews on these pages where they like the breakfast. I apologise regarding the ashtray outside your room, this was an oversight and our housekeeper [who is normally excellent] has been asked to take better care. I trust the cleanliness of the rest of the room was to your satisfaction. You should note that I've owned and operated the hotel since it opened in 1998 so I must have been here when you last stayed. Hopefully you will stay with us again in another 7 years as we do take onboard feedback and act on it. Finally I must really thank you for your review as I've recently been accused of posting my own "glowing" reviews to TripAdvisor in order to boost the Star Hotel so your review proves that this is not the case.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

This accomodation was very relaxing and good for those who want to just get away from it all. No TV so very quiet. Wifi is available for a small charge from the hotel. We had a meal at the Moe pub on the way up after I spoke with the owner who advised me that there is nothing available for dinner in Walhalla on a Friday night if you are arriving after 8pm. On the Saturday night we had dinner at the Wally pub which was fantastic! Breakfast each morning in the hotel was good - croissants, toast, muffins, cereal, yoghurt etc. We also went on the train which was great - even though it couldn't go the whole way due to a landslide - the people running the railway were great. We also went on numerous walks which were just gorgeous (and even my husband who is definitely not a 'walker' enjoyed!)
Would highly recommend a trip to Walhalla - it is a lovely little town!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Thanks for your review. Please note that the Walhalla Goldfields Railway is now back to full operation as the landslip has been repaired. The train operates ever Sat/Sun/Wed, public holiday and daily between Boxing Day and Australia Day and the Easter School holidays. It's a great trip, we highly recommend it to all of our guests who stay.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you want a place to relax then this is the place for you. We have just returned from a 2 night stay and loved every minute of it. No TV, no mobile phone reception, you couldn't help but unwind. It was fabulous. As we were there on 2 very hot days the air conditioning in the comfortable spacious room was very welcome. We had a ground floor room with a loverly small garden area to sit in. Micheal made us feel very welcome and was very informative. We loved it so much we plan on returning in the cooler months for a mid-year de-stress.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelLeaney, Owner at Walhalla's Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed your stay. May I suggest that a stay in August during the Walhalla Vinter Ljusfest is a great time to visit and you get to see Walhalla in a totally different way. We also have special Walhalla Vinter Ljusfest packages available via our website to take advantage of at this time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Walhalla
Morwell Motel
Walhalla Lodge Hotel
Walhalla Lodge Hotel
#3 of 4 in Walhalla
The Moe Motor Inn

Been to Walhalla's Star Hotel? Share your experiences!