“Lovely staff, run down Hotel, won't be back!”

Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tullamarine
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Lovely staff, run down Hotel, won't be back!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

I stayed one night on the 14th March as I had an early morning international flight. I won't be back. Run down hotel that needs some serious work. Holes in curtains, stains on floor and just old inside. For a hotel with an airport location one would expect better. I won't be back!! Only positives were the fantastic welcoming staff and the price of breakfast if booked with reception the night before.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Queensland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in April 2012 at my company's expense.
I would firstly like to commend the staff at this hotel for their friendly and helpful attitude. They were very pleasant and professional. However my room was a real shock to the system. It was like going back to the 1980's. It's decor and fittings although clean, were old and worn and well past their use-by dates.
It had an old analogue TV and no access to digital channels at all.
WIFI internet was available but only for a fee although I believe it could be used for 1 hour free in the main foyer.
The old bathroom had a very feeble shower over the bath (haven't seen that in years)
There are no electric blankets on the beds so on cold nights you really need to crank up the room heater before going to bed.
Other than its proximity to the airport there is not much to recommend this place.
I will certainly suggest that my company book me and other staff in elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: There is some renovation work going on so ask if your room has been updated yet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

A spare of the moment booking yet it was the best place we had stayed all trip. The staff were friendly, the room was comfortable and well appointed and the restaurant (PK's) was terrific. A nice walk to the Gladstone shopping centre and 5 min. from Melbourne International.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Queen room with spar, try to get a room as far from the front as possible. Early leav...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I booked a two-night stay at this hotel using my Choice Privilege award points and was pleasantly surprised to find that I had been upgraded to a spa room. Reception staff was very cordial and helpful; check-in was efficient. Room was large with an entry foyer containing a kitchenette sink and counter; to the left was the bathroom, and straight ahead was the room. The bath was spotless and looked like it had been recently upgraded. Room was large, with what looked like a new, or near new jetted spa tub, double bed, work desk, luggage table, armoire, and a very large, wall-mounted flat screen TV. Room was very clean and the bed was comfortable and provided a good night's sleep.

Parking is convenient - right outside the door. Hotel is located less than 10 minutes from the Melbourne Airport. There are ample fast food restaurants and shopping nearby. The Broadmeadows Metro train station is about 7 minutes away - which is convenient for those who wish to go into Melbourne but who wish to avoid driving. Train service is frequent.

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times in the past and return here because I have always had a good experience and no problem redeeming my Choice Privilege pointss.

The only negative that I encountered during this stay - and I do consider this more than trivial - is that the reception staff made a copy of my photo ID (drivers license) upon check-in. Normally, when a hotel attempts to do this, I refuse to allow them to, as it opens the door wide to the possibility of identity theft, despite how "safe" the hotel may think the copy of the document is. It's an insulting practice, particularly for hotels that like to think of themselves as at least mid-tier or even upscale, as it suggests that there are reasons not to trust the guest, and/or that the hotel is worried about catering to an undesirable sort of clientele. I am happy to allow a hotel to examine my ID and/or to transcribe information from it, but making a physical copy is a practice that, I believe, goes well beyond the bounds of necessity and sends exactly the wrong message to guests. In this particular case, I had provided my ID to the reception clerk while distracted and not thinking that the person might actually wish to make a copy. Normally, I am more diligent than that, but this time, I missed it.

The fact that the hotel's policy is, apparently, to make copies of guest ID's, I've lowered my rating of this hotel to "Average." In all other respects, this hotel is "Above Average," but hotels that are truly above average wouldn't have this kind of policy.

Other than my concerns about making copies of guest ID's, this is a very nice hotel, with a very pleasant, efficient staff, who try hard to take good care of their guests.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Wagga Wagga, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

We recently booked this hotel for stays before and after our overseas trip..the rooms were a litle dated but beautiful , clean and spacious. Bed was comfortable. We enjoyed a lovely meal and drinks in the hotel restaurant .. compliments to the chef.! We left our car there and used the free shuttle bus to the airport which was great.. they even picked us up on our return at 1.30 in the morning. The breakfast buffet was well presented and the food fresh. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hobart
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed one night at this hotel and as others have said don't book a longer stay!
Upon check-in all staff encountered were great! Due to some problems with work, a lot of us arrived (20+ group) quite agitated and several hours after expected. Staff were friendly, efficient and were even kind enough to re-open the bar for several hours while we debriefed!
My room however left a little to be desired and if I hadn't been up for the previous 21 hours, I would have considered leaving for another hotel. The room it self was dated but that wasn't a problem although the bathroom appeared to have had a recent makeover - still appeared dated but the most modern part of the room. My complaint however came with the smell...The room was like someone had released a whole can (or more) of room deoderiser in the room then locked it up. It was vile. Even after chocking open the door for a couple of hours and putting the air conditioner on, nothing seemed to help to get rid of the smell, this coupled with an old cheap matteress meant very little sleep.
I'm unsure of the rate that was paid for the room, so I can't comment on value for money etc but this hotel is close to the hobart, staff were extremely helpful and offers a shuttle service to/from the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Belgrave, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

We decided to stay here the night prior to our flight due to price & location (2 x adults & 3 x children). On arrival, the reception staff seemed very 'distracted' leaving us a little lost. This particular hotel requires payment on arrival. Cars can be parked outside your hotel room. We stayed in a "family room" & had an additional single bed. The room size is quite large with double doors opening out to a communal pool & sitting area. The bathroom is also large. You can tell that when this hotel was first opened (maybe late 70's) alot of money was spent on decorum, but now the bathrooms & general decore really need updating. Our bath & toilet were brown & the floor to ceiling tiles blue. The furniture, bedding, curtains & general decorations are also from the original time of opening.
We stayed in the furthest family room from reception which is located near an external gate into the pool area. As people walk through this at all times it was very noisy.
After our children were asleep our TV was randomly changing volume to very loud. We called reception to assist & a service man was sent. He looked at the outside of the TV and told us he couldn't fix it. We asked if maybe he could just swap it with another & he said we would have to move rooms. Obviously we couldn't because the kids were sleeping. Later reception called to appollogise and kindly sent us a bottle of wine.
The hotel offers car parking at $9 per day and also runs free shuttles to & from the airport.
It was cheap & served it's purpose. Admittedly, it was not as bad as I had expected from other reviews. Mostly what let it down was the attitude of some of the staff. Shuttle bus driver was lovely though.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank mummy_love44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullamarine
Ciloms Airport Lodge
Quest Melbourne Airport
#1 of 7 in Tullamarine
BEST WESTERN Airport Motel & Convention Centre
PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport

Been to Quality Hotel Melbourne Airport? Share your experiences!